Substituting Truvia Stevia Leaf Extract for Maple Syrup

Amateur1

Local time
6:22 AM
I have some Truvia Stevia Leaf Extract.
How much of this would I use in place of a tablespoon of maple syrup in this recipe. Currently I use Maple syrup, but not the banana. I'm trying to make it healthier whilst keeping it kosher.
I also have some "Stevia sweet" tablets. It says that two of these tablets are equivalent to a teapsoonful of sugar. How many tablets would equate to a tablespoonful of maple syrup?
What other changes should I make to the recipe if I use stevia as the flavour with maple syrup is delicious?

If I'm using Stevia, then when should I add it - at the end like the Maple syrup or nearer the beginning of the process?

One change I've made to the recipe is to add more milk and let the Quinoa stand for 5 minutes before adding the cacao and maple syrup. It stops the quinoa getting stuck in my teeth. Again, when is the best time to add the stevia?

Quinoa Chocolate Porridge

Ingredients

▢80 g quinoa raw, rinsed, approx. ½ cup
▢240 ml milk, any adjust the amount to suit your preference
▢1 tbsp cocoa/cacao powder
▢1 tbsp maple syrup optional, see Notes below
▢1 large or 2 small bananas mashed
▢pinch of salt

Instructions

In a saucepan combine the quinoa with the milk and a pinch of salt, cover and bring to the boil. Milk rises as it heats up so make sure it doesn’t spill out of the pot. Lower the heat and simmer gently, covered for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the cocoa and maple syrup (if using), stir thoroughly, cover and continue cooking gently for 3 more minutes stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat, stir in the mashed banana and serve. Add a splash of milk if the porridge is too thick.

Last edited:
given that the maple syrup is optional, it is not actually essential to the recipe.
Not using maple syrup will mean no maple syrup flavour and nothing is going to change that, period.
So, given it is not essential to the recipe, it is there for flavour and sweetness alone.
So basically it comes down to how sweet you actually want to make the porrige.
I tbsp of maple syrup is roughly equivalent to I tbsp of sugar so approx 3 teaspoons.

If it were me, I would be considering exactly why I'm cutting out that maple syrup. Do you still like it without the maple syrup? Could you manage with ½ that quantity?

If you must replace it, you'll want to dissolve the tablets (up to 6) in the milk whilst it is warming up. I'd crush them personnally between 2 dessertspoons, a couple at a time.

Eventually it all comes down to how sweet you like your porridge. Stevia is, apparently, 250 times sweeter than sugar, so my personal opinion is, start with a little bit and gradually increase until you´re happy with the result.

I agree this is probably overkill, but it's still interesting to me.
I understand that 6 stevia tablets equals 1 tbsp of maple syrup. Does it make a difference that I add the maple syrup at the end, but will be adding the stevia at the beginning in terms of how many tablets to use. Alternatively, I can just try 6 and see what happens.

Alternatively, I can just try 6 and see what happens.
I can't see why it would make a difference (honestly, it would never even occur to me to consider that :) ), but for a lot of people, the fun is in the finding out. Give it a whirl!

I agree this is probably overkill, but it's still interesting to me.
I understand that 6 stevia tablets equals 1 tbsp of maple syrup. Does it make a difference that I add the maple syrup at the end, but will be adding the stevia at the beginning in terms of how many tablets to use. Alternatively, I can just try 6 and see what happens.
The main reason for adding the maple syrup at the end is cosmetic. Hot or warmed thinner syrup runs over the porrige rather nicely. It allows you to eat sweeter porrige initially but usually all most people do is to stir it in. If you think about the premade packets of shop bought microwaveable just add milk/water porrige that a maple syrup flavoured, the flavour is equally distributed through the porridge.

with home-made porrige, you get a choice. Stir it in. with maple syrup or any liquid sugar, I do, but with things like apple butter or jam, I don't. So either way, it doesn't matter with something natural.

But stevia tablets are not "natural", they are highly processed and unless you want to actually end up with a lump of crushed tablet in your mouth, you'll need to ensure that they are fully dissolved. And with only one liquid involved in the recipe, you'll have to use that to dissolve them.
If you like the outcome, perhaps look for the equivalent in a granule form designed to replicate sugar. Then you could add it at the end after serving the porridge and adjust how much you use more freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom