Recipe Sugar-free Sweet potatoes (Candied Yams)

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
2:36 AM
Introduction by the original recipe author:
I adapted my fiance's recipe to use Splenda and a little vanilla...it's simply delicious!
Minutes to Prepare: 5 Minutes to Cook: 40 Number of Servings: 3

Ingredients
2 - medium Sweet Potatoes (aka yams) (raw) - about 2 cups
1/3 cup - splenda (sucralose)
1/8 tsp - vanilla
1 tsp - cinnamon, ground
1 cup water

Directions

1. Slice raw sweet potatoes into medium slim slices. Place slices into a small pot (large enough to hold the potatoes and water mixture).
  2. Wisk together water, splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla, blend well. Pour over sliced sweet potatoes.
  3. Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat. Once boiling, turn down to simmer, cook 30 - 35 minutes, until potatoes are soft - do not overcook, it will become too mushy.
Nutritional Info Per Serving: Calories: 107.7. Total Fat: 0.1 g, Cholesterol: 0.0 mg, Sodium: 9.1 mg,Total Carbs: 28.8 g, Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g, Protein: 1.4 g

Recipe submitted to sparkpeople by SparkPeople user
SCORPIOCANDIE
https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=444080

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am not that keen on sweet potatoes (sorry). The reason I'm not is because they are rather sweet for me. So I think I would make this recipe without the splenda. I reckon they would still be sweet enough. I like the idea of the vanilla and cinnamon here.

Nice chunks in a casserole with dark rum, toasted pecans (puh cons for you yankees) and jet puffs. Baked until the marshmallows are golden on top. No sugar free here.

There is a dessert that uses sweet potatoes and is popular in the south, sweet potato pie. I believe Shermie's , like mine is a holiday side dish.

Blimey - yours in particular sounds like a dessert to me, with the marshmallows on top.

I grew up with this dish, sans the rum, but the potatoes were mashed. I prefer the chunks. It was always served as a side dish.

I love sweet potatoes in any form, but I hate that stringy matter!! :mad:

I have to run it through a ricer to break that stuff down & matter the mixture smooth.

I sometimes make hot sweet potato soup in the blender. The motor spins the blades so fast (28.000rpm) that any stringy matter breaks down & goes away. :wink:

Last edited:
I love sweet potatoes in any form, but I hate that stringy matter!! :mad:

I have to run it through a ricer to break that stuff down & matter the mixture smooth. :wink:

I don't think sweet potatoes are yams, per African description. Boniato is a Caribbean form of sweet potato.

Back
Top Bottom