Suggestions for the next Cookalong

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:51 AM
The Falafel Cookalong has been very interesting with lots of discussion and cooking. I am now a confirmed Falafel failure! It is about to close, so we need to decide on a new recipe/dish to cook along to. So far we have chosen dishes from: France (Coq au Vin), Spain (Paella), Italy (Ravioli), Middle East (Falafel). Below are some of the suggestions that have been made before. (V) indicates vegetarian options. The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Here are some previous suggestions:

Rogan Josh
Crab Cakes
Croissants (V)
Chicken Kiev
Chinese Dumplings (V)
Chocolate truffles (V)
Bagels (V)
Chocolate Fondant (V)
Boeuf Bourguignon

Please feel free to give your preferences to one of the above or add thoughts and other suggestions.

Last edited:
I have no idea what a Rogan Josh is but I saw a jar of Rogan Josh sauce yesterday at Big Lots.
I really don't think this one sounds appealing Chocolate Fondant (V)Boeuf Bourguignon.
I mean sorry but Beef covered in chocolate does not sound good.
My vote would be for Croissants because I think everyone here eats bread.

Since it is summer, and it is 37 Centig. degrees here, some suggestions for Summer Light are:

Shrimp or salmon Teriyaki

Tempura veggies and shrimp

Kebabs with Chicken, Shrimp, or Lamb or Beef or Vegetables

A shrimp curry or shrimp or fish Tandoori

A Summer Salad of choice

Stuffed Tomatoes

Stuffed Courgettes or Zucchini

Last edited:
I have no idea what a Rogan Josh is but I saw a jar of Rogan Josh sauce yesterday at Big Lots.
I really don't think this one sounds appealing Chocolate Fondant (V)Boeuf Bourguignon.
I mean sorry but Beef covered in chocolate does not sound good.
My vote would be for Croissants because I think everyone here eats bread.

@Cinisajoy

Boeuf Bourguignon does not have chocolate in it ..

They are 2 separate dishes, a Chocolat Fondant is a dessert and Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic French stew with Beef, red wine, potatoes and vegetables.

The " V " is for Vegetarian ..

Have a nice evening.

@Cinisajoy

Boeuf Bourguignon does not have chocolate in it ..

They are 2 separate dishes, a Chocolat Fondant is a dessert and Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic French stew with Beef, red wine, potatoes and vegetables.

The " V " is for Vegetarian ..

Have a nice evening.

@Cinisajoy knew this. She was having a bit of fun because of my typo! :D

Since it is summer, and it is 37 Centig. degrees here, some suggestions for Summer Light are:

Shrimp or salmon Teriyaki

Tempura veggies and shrimp

Kebabs with Chicken, Shrimp, or Lamb or Beef or Vegetables

A shrimp curry or shrimp or fish Tandoori

A Summer Salad of choice

Stuffed Tomatoes

Stuffed Courgettes or Zucchini
Not much "cooking" or "challenging" in those!

The Falafel Cookalong has been very interesting with lots of discussion and cooking. I am now a confirmed Falafel failure! It is about to close, so we need to decide on a new recipe/dish to cook along to. So far we have chosen dishes from: France (Coq au Vin), Spain (Paella), Italy (Ravioli), Middle East (Falafel). Below are some of the suggestions that have been made before. (V) indicates vegetarian options. The concept of the Cookalong is to try out 'classic’ or regional recipes that we haven't cooked before and/or practice techniques that are new to us. Here are some previous suggestions:

Rogan Josh
Crab Cakes
Croissants (V)
Chicken Kiev
Chinese Dumplings (V)
Chocolate truffles (V)
Bagels (V)
Chocolate Fondant (V)
Boeuf Bourguignon

Please feel free to give your preferences to one of the above or add thoughts and other suggestions.

Chinese dumplings is a good one as the ingredients are pretty much universal, and can be vegetarian. Bit like ravioli though?
Chicken Kiev - again universally available ingredients, a classic and not too intimidating.
Crab cakes - maybe widen it to fish cakes to allow for more scope on ingredients?
Boeuf Bourgignon - a great one, but a bit of a winter warmer?

A Tagine would be fascinating .. ( Fish or chicken one ) ..

Perhaps, not every one has a Tagine / Tajine in Berber ..

Boeuf Bourgignon : a beautiful classic however, it is quite wintery ..

Chicken Kiev, is another classic that is amazingly lovely.

I would suggest Chicken Kiev ..

Not much "cooking" or "challenging" in those!

@epicuric

Tempura is not as simple as it looks.

And Kebabs, though simple are very versatile .. Can use Monkfish, Prawns, Chicken or beef or lamb and so it is not so cut and dry ..

Teriyaki as well ..

Have a nice evening ..

Hello. I would love to join in. I joined too late for the falafel challenge, though I make these frequently. Chinese dumplings would be a new challenge for me. I've just done a quick google and there are some gluten free recipes to try out. I've missed these since leaving London (no decent Chinese here) and having to exclude gluten from the house.

I agree that kebabs would bring all sorts of new ideas, so would stuffed vegetables and I've never done a Teriyaki, just eaten it in restaurants (or, ssshhh... bought a jar of sauce). I do loads of curry's but always on the look our for more recipes.

Up for any challenge esp. as I will have to adapt for allergies.

What about soufflés? They can be sweet or savoury, fairly plain or highly flavoured, and making them can be fairly easy or a complete and utter nightmare for all sorts of reasons.

I've not really found souffles particularly difficult, either sweet or savoury.

A decent curry on the other hand.

Back
Top Bottom