Sunday Lunch.

So, it is the same thing as in the US, just that the main is not as ethnically diverse.

I'm so confused. Hahahaha.

When you have a chance, take a look at the comments I got when I said I don't like ice cream on bread, as a sandwich. I thought that was pretty cut-and-dry, apparently it wasn't to some.:wink:

Went out for lunch on Sunday with some girlfriends. Look at this bad boy!
7241A125-AC3F-45F9-B477-285B252A99AC.jpeg

It's pretty rare for us not to do a full roast lunch on a Sunday, even if there's only the two of us. We tend to alternate between beef, lamb, pork and chicken, with all usual accompaniments - roast potatoes or parsnips, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, pigs in blankets, bead sauce, onion sauce etc. It's a couple of hours in the kitchen with the duties shared, helped along by a bottle of Prosecco and some tapas - happy times! Last Sunday we had lamb shanks, cooked long and slow in the Crockpot. Tomorrow, it will be roasted partridge.
IMG_0636a.jpg

When i was a kid the sunday main meal was usually barbq chicken, mac and cheese, sweet peas, and cottage cheese and apple sauce, and a sheet cake for dessert.

I have a funny story about roasts tho. So my sis married a guy from Minnesota. So they go to visit his family, everyday a different household as he is introducing her around. So each meal is a big deal and apparently a big deal meal in Minnesota is a roast. So for two weeks as they made the rounds they were treated to roast after roast after roast. Sis arriving back home said she was never so glad to see chicken in her life.

Mee-nah-sow-tah. If you say it fast it's funny, like Pipi.

Where Scandinavians left a miserable, cold, and dank place, travelled across treacherous seas, fought wild native tribes across a thousand miles, only to find a place that was a freakin miserable as where they left.

Come with?

IMG_0651a.jpg

The roast partridge mentioned above. A tarragon, apple cider and cream sauce, buttered mash and greens. The stuffing balls were made with smoked bacon and black pudding.

Sunday before last in Sandwich, Kent I had an impromptu Sunday lunch. We popped into a restaurant down by the river looking for a light lunch and they had a carvery. It all looked freshly cooked and a tray of Yorkshire Puddings straight out the oven arrived as we sat down. When we saw the price was £9.95 for as much as you could eat we just couldn't resist. So a bit of everything - roast beef, gammon and chicken plus stuffing balls, carrots, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire, cabbage, braised onions, apple sauce and gravy.The Chef himself was serving up the food which he assured us had all been cooked that morning. The big brown thing at the back of the plate is the Yorkshire pud.

The restaurant is Charlies Bistro.Thoroughly recommended:

charlies_bistro_2.jpg

Here is what I had:

fullsizeoutput_3be7.jpeg

I love those sort of places! One of our local pubs does a similar thing, not a buffet but a proper old school Sunday lunch. A choice of beef, lamb, pork or chicken, or you can request 'a bit of everything', which means you also get a Yorkshire pudding, stuffing ball, onion sauce along with a piece of each meat. I think it's about £6.95 per head, and it's about the only place I will eat out at on a Sunday.

The words "Sunday lunch" reminded me of the grim days of pub licensing laws in England. Sunday opening was just for two hours at lunchtime, between twelve and two. Ghastly. It meant that if you were struggling a little from the effects of Saturday night, you found yourself being dragged (or dragging oneself) to the pub for a pint that usually took about an hour to get down. By the time you really felt like having a drink, the place was closing.

@Duck59 's post reminded me of an incident in my childhood. I grew up in the "Bible Belt" part of the U.S. we nearly always went somewhere after church for lunch. One time, mother decided we'd go home and make cookies afterward. She wanted to make shaped ones (holiday shapes, but I don't remember which one) but we didn't have the cutters, so we stopped by the equivalent of Wal-Mart back then, picked out the cutters and went to pay. The cashier refused to let us buy them, telling mother that making cookies was work and Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest, which I don't understand because the cashier was working. I don't remember what was said, but mother got extremely angry, ended up storming out of store and never went back.

We always had a 'proper British Roast Sunday Lunch' when I was a kid. Mum used to prepare most of it in the morning and put the joint in the oven before church. I think the cooker had a timer. The smell when we got home was lovely. Then the veg would cook while 'we' had a sherry ('We' depends on my and my sister's age at the time :wink:)
Always seasonal veg from the greengrocer round the corner from our house. I loved autumn/winter when we had roast potatoes and then roast parsnips as well and was always disappointed when new potatoes came in season (I like them now). Loved the summer peas and beans and the winter brussel sprouts. Used to have Brussel tops but they are not so easy to get in the supermarket.

So we would have mainly chicken
  • Chicken with stuffing and or bread sauce. Gravy.She roasted the chicken with bacon on the top to 'keep the bird moist' and then take it off for the last half hour so the bird skin would crisp. I was always sure this was her way of eating some crispy bacon with her sherry)
  • Beef (occasionally in winter as was/is expensive) with horseradish sauce and Yorkshire puds
  • Pork with apple sauce and sometimes stuffing. Sometimes with crackling.
  • Lamb with mint sauce (I use dot be sent to the garden to pick the mint and use an old herb grinder to make the sauce.
  • Ham: Usually around Christmas we would have a roast ham with mustard or onion sauce.
All served with new or roast potatoes and seasonal veg. I cant remember what we had if the weather was warm. I'll have to ask Mother.

I sometimes do a roast for the two of us if is is a dark, cold winter's day and want to spend Sunday afternoon reading/watching telly. I'm thinking of making one tonight. I try to do a roast when my parents come on a Sunday as Dad misses his Sunday roast. He must have had a roast every Sunday for about 60 years. Mum does not bother now unless they have guests.

Last edited:
We always had a 'proper British Roast Sunday Lunch' when I was a kid. Mum used to prepare most of it in the morning and put the joint in the oven before church. I think the cooker had a timer. The smell when we got home was lovely. Then the veg would cook while 'we' had a sherry ('We' depends on my and my sister's age at the time :wink:)
Always seasonal veg from the greengrocer round the corner from our house. I loved autumn/winter when we had roast potatoes and then roast parsnips as well and was always disappointed when new potatoes came in season (I like them now). Loved the summer peas and beans and the winter brussel sprouts. Used to have Brussel tops but they are not so easy to get in the supermarket.

So we would have mainly chicken
  • Chicken with stuffing and or bread sauce. Gravy.She roasted the chicken with bacon on the top to 'keep the bird moist' and then take it off for the last half hour so the bird skin would crisp. I was always sure this was her way of eating some crispy bacon with her sherry)
  • Beef (occasionally in winter as was/is expensive) with horseradish sauce and Yorkshire puds
  • Pork with apple sauce and sometimes stuffing. Sometimes with crackling.
  • Lamb with mint sauce (I use dot be sent to the garden to pick the mint and use an old herb grinder to make the sauce.
  • Ham: Usually around Christmas we would have a roast ham with mustard or onion sauce.
All served with new or roast potatoes and seasonal veg. I cant remember what we had if the weather was warm. I'll have to ask Mother.

I sometimes do a roast for the two of us if is is a dark, cold winter's day and want to spend Sunday afternoon reading/watching telly. I'm thinking of making one tonight. I try to do a roast when my parents come on a Sunday as Dad misses his Sunday roast. He must have had a roast every Sunday for about 60 years. Mum does not bother now unless they have guests.
You could be describing my early childhood there!

Back
Top Bottom