Super Bowl 2022

I once drove an hour to work on a federal holiday…then did the same thing again for the next one a month later. Both times, I was in the car thinking, “Wow, the traffic is really light today…nice!”

One day when I was working in Kuala Lumpur, the city did not have a holiday but the surrounding district of Selangor did. Almost all the residents of Selangor decided to spend their day shopping, eating and drinking in the city. Grid lock ensued and I spent almost 3 hours travelling about 50 metres. What really put the cap on it was that I'd just passed the entrance to the Holiday Inn car park in which I could have abandoned the car. My destination was only some 250 metres from where I was "parked"!

Believe it or not I had to look up what Super Bowl is.

It is like the World Cup in the US. This year, 117-million Americans are expected to watch the game, a new record. You can watch it in the UK on BBC or Sky Sports. Of course, you will probably be asleep when it is on. :laugh:

CD

The Super Bowl is one of the biggest events in the USA. For thse of you not from here, it is like the World Cup for American style football. It is the final game of the NFL playoffs. One game, winner take all.

This year it is the Cincinnati Bengals vs the Los Angeles Rams.

It is also a big food day. Almost all of it unhealthy. Lots of handheld foods, dips and of course, BEER! Super Bowl Sunday is second only to Thanksgiving as far as food consumption in one day in the US. :ohmy:

On average lately, Americans eat 1.25 Billion chicken wings, 28-million pounds of chips/crisps, and 8-million pounds of guacamole. Pizza deliveries DOUBLE on SB Sunday.

With seats at the game starting at $5,000 (good luck finding that price), most people watch at bars, or at Super Bowl parties.

I will be having Buffalo Wings, for sure -- at home. I'm not going to a Covid Super Spreader Super Bowl Party this year, or hosting one.

I started this thread to share the Super Bowl tradition with the rest of the world on the forum. We Mericans can post up what we like to eat, and maybe some recipe links. We can also answer any questions for the Super Bowl curious.

CD

My wife just bought this cookie:

LaRosa’s, which is a pizza-and-sandwiches restaurant chain founded in and local to Cincinnati (for the most part), is actually stopping orders early Sunday so employees can watch the game with friends and families.

Think about that for a minute. A pizza chain from the home town of one of the teams is closing early to let their employees watch the game. That’s leaving some serious money behind.

Several other restaurants in the city are following suit. Good on ‘em!

Our usual SB meal is hot wings, ribs or pizza, and that so-horrible-it’s-delicious Velveeta-and-Ro-Tel-tomato dip.

This year, though, because I forgot it was the SB this weekend, will be a ham loaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes. In honor of the day, I shall shape my ham loaf to resemble a football. 🏈

LaRosa’s, which is a pizza-and-sandwiches restaurant chain founded in and local to Cincinnati (for the most part), is actually stopping orders early Sunday so employees can watch the game with friends and families.

Think about that for a minute. A pizza chain from the home town of one of the teams is closing early to let their employees watch the game. That’s leaving some serious money behind.

Several other restaurants in the city are following suit. Good on ‘em!

I watched Super Bowl XLIII in a sports bar in downtown Pittsburgh. As the game progressed, the bartenders and other staff became part of the party. By the time the game was over, the staff was drinking with us. When the Steelers won, it was high fives and hugs for everyone.

I paid 75-bucks to get in, and reserve a barstool. It also covered food and beverages. :ohmy: What a bargain!!!

YesWeCan.jpg

CD

It is like the World Cup in the US. This year, 117-million Americans are expected to watch the game, a new record. You can watch it in the UK on BBC or Sky Sports. Of course, you will probably be asleep when it is on. :laugh:

CD

Its reasonable big here as well. Bars advertise the game as its midday monday.

Russ

Being a Lions fan I fell out of football about 6-8 years ago. I got tired of their ineptness. With Stafford moving to the Rams, were going to watch it this year. Colleen and I are meeting another couple at a local establishment. I'm guessing we'll leave at halftime.

I already know what I'll order for dinner. A tasty Rueben sammie!

Being a Lions fan I fell out of football about 6-8 years ago. I got tired of their ineptness. With Stafford moving to the Rams, were going to watch it this year. Colleen and I are meeting another couple at a local establishment. I'm guessing we'll leave at halftime.

I already know what I'll order for dinner. A tasty Rueben sammie!

My family came from Torino, Italy, and settled in Pittsburgh about 110 years ago. In my family, being a Steelers fan is part of your genetic code.

Since I am pretty neutral for this year's game, I'll watch it. I do lean a little towards the Bengals, since they have never won a Super Bowl, and play in the same Division as the Steelers.

CD

Back
Top Bottom