Supermarket "Save for December" Rewards

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:19 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've just had a reminder through to unlock my $$$ for Christmas spends. Our supermarket does a collect points for Christmas or $10 off during the year as and when you accumulate the points. We save ours for December in addition to the 10% discount we get each month (now actually 3 times a month as a result of car insurance, mobile phone plan and joining the rewards extra club). We've only just taken my phone over to the plan, so these savings are all based on 2 × 10% off each month. 2,000 points equates to AU$10.
The rewards extra club costs $69 annually. It gives a 10% off a shop (maximum $50 per month) and doubles the base points you get so 1pt per $ becomes 2 pts per $ spent.

We started 12 months ago exactly on the extras club. Before that we only had 1 pt per $ spent and 1 × 10% off the shop.
Screenshot_20231214_131629_Rewards.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_131459_Rewards.jpg

The current exchange rate puts AU$540 at US$365/€365/£290/NZ$580 for our Christmas or month of December shopping.

That is in addition to what we've saved during the year with 10% off 2 shops each month which is AU$590 or roughly US$400/€400/£300/NZ$635. The free perks are usually $2-3 each and we only collect them to give to the food bank. They usually have dairy in them, so are of little use to us.

This doesn't take into account "members' only" pricing which I saw in the UK as well.

We tend to use only 1 supermarket. I do shop in a manner that maximises what we save, so we switched from a weekly if it was needed it was bought on the next shop approach, over to 2 larger shops of the "monthly" items + fresh and 2 smaller fresh only shops.

To be honest, there are only a handful of supermarkets in Australia, Woollies, Coles, Costco, Aldi/Lidl, IGA and of the major players only 2, Woollies & Coles. It's not like the UK where there is Morrison's, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, M&S food and so on.

I'm curious as to how much others save on similar schemes at their supermarket(s)?

I've just had a reminder through to unlock my $$$ for Christmas spends. Our supermarket does a collect points for Christmas or $10 off during the year as and when you accumulate the points. We save ours for December in addition to the 10% discount we get each month (now actually 3 times a month as a result of car insurance, mobile phone plan and joining the rewards extra club). We've only just taken my phone over to the plan, so these savings are all based on 2 × 10% off each month. 2,000 points equates to AU$10.
The rewards extra club costs $69 annually. It gives a 10% off a shop (maximum $50 per month) and doubles the base points you get so 1pt per $ becomes 2 pts per $ spent.

We started 12 months ago exactly on the extras club. Before that we only had 1 pt per $ spent and 1 × 10% off the shop.
View attachment 108028View attachment 108029

The current exchange rate puts AU$540 at US$365/€365/£290/NZ$580 for our Christmas or month of December shopping.

That is in addition to what we've saved during the year with 10% off 2 shops each month which is AU$590 or roughly US$400/€400/£300/NZ$635. The free perks are usually $2-3 each and we only collect them to give to the food bank. They usually have dairy in them, so are of little use to us.

This doesn't take into account "members' only" pricing which I saw in the UK as well.

We tend to use only 1 supermarket. I do shop in a manner that maximises what we save, so we switched from a weekly if it was needed it was bought on the next shop approach, over to 2 larger shops of the "monthly" items + fresh and 2 smaller fresh only shops.

To be honest, there are only a handful of supermarkets in Australia, Woollies, Coles, Costco, Aldi/Lidl, IGA and of the major players only 2, Woollies & Coles. It's not like the UK where there is Morrison's, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, M&S food and so on.

I'm curious as to how much others save on similar schemes at their supermarket(s)?

As far as I know we have nothing like that here.

I have an ancient memory of something in the UK along similar lines.

These cards exist so the supermarket companies can track your spending. I don't have any of them, but Teddy has a few. :wink: :D

Kroger has a Card that you need to have to get sale prices -- I hate that. You also get 10-cents a gallon off gasoline purchases for every $100 you spend in a month. You can use it at Kroger gas stations (dinosaur pee), or Shell stations (gasoline with quality additives).

CD

These cards exist so the supermarket companies can track your spending. I don't have any of them, but Teddy has a few. :wink: :D

Kroger has a Card that you need to have to get sale prices -- I hate that. You also get 10-cents a gallon off gasoline purchases for every $100 you spend in a month. You can use it at Kroger gas stations (dinosaur pee), or Shell stations (gasoline with quality additives).

CD
Yeah, we also get the fuel discount. We've got 5 of them at the moment. That'll vanish over the holiday period as we clock up the kms.

I don't mind then tracking what we buy. Everything we purchase is vegan! It will help even out the statistics! Lol and it's all in hubby's name! I also don't mind saving $1100 or more a year without the fuel discount. I have to buy the products somewhere and out here, there are only 2 choices. I know we'd save with Coles, but there isn't a convenient Coles store nearby and I also don't like what they stock. We pop in every now and again for 1 or 2 items if Woolies haven't got something in.

We get 8c per litre off fuel prices, 12c if we spend in the petrol station store, but that only happens if we need washer fluid. And luckily our petrol station competes against a Costco petrol station and matches their prices. It's one of the cheapest in the capital as a result. Hubby works within a couple of km of it and has to drive passed it everyday, so it's quite handy.

Kroger sends out emails periodically showing monthly savings. The next time I get one, I’ll post it here.

One thing I do like is they do a round of discounts like $4 off $20 spent on produce, or $10 off your next $75 shopping trip - I go to the grocer’s at least three times a week, so individual tallies might be in the $25-$40 range, but I can easily skip one of those and hit $75, and $20 in produce…no problem.

Winn Dixie gives you points for each dollar, plus also bonus points through their app, anywhere from 3x what you spend up to 40x. The bonus points are usually in the teens range. We save them until they get in the $50 range at minimum.

Publix gives you $3 off every time you spend $200 I think. Big whop, but I don't turn it down.

I also get 2% or 3% on my Amazon card for purchases so I use that, then come home and pay whatever we spent. I get 5% when I shop via Amazon or at Whole Foods, but we rarely shop there mainly because it's not convenient.

View attachment 108028View attachment 108029

We have xmas club here in supermarket. Wife puts 10 to 20 bux in every shop
She usually buys last shop for 0.

Russ

The two supermarkets I use both have "points" systems.
I usually wait until December to use them. What with inflation and that, barely worthwhile.

The two supermarkets I use both have "points" systems.
I usually wait until December to use them. What with inflation and that, barely worthwhile.
I hear you on that and inflation. I can have 2 weeks shopping (minimum) out of this. (one of those will be a 'big' shop and the other Christmas treat shop).

And then anything unspent (also unlikely) can be carried over into the next year.

I’m with CD in this one. Sneaky and invasive, give the discount or don’t. I do have loyalty cards though 😆

I particularly like the Boots chemist one. You get a lot for very little. I just ‘bought‘ a £60 electric toothbrush for free. I also have Waitrose, Sainsbury and Marks n Spencer. I may ditch the Marks and Spencer one. So far it’s yielded nothing of any use.

Back
Top Bottom