Supermarkets

My problem with Kroger (whom I think do a pretty good job overall) is the way they handle substitutions.

I'll get a text about two hours before my pickup time, and it'll say, "Your order had some out-of-stock items, please click here to approve substitutions" - and that'll dump me into the app, to my order, and it'll show the two or three things that were unavailable.

The problem is, it'll suggest one substitution, and it's always not what I want, but I do know there are other things I'd rather have subbed in, but they won't let me specify that. It's either take their suggested substitute or take nothing.

The last time it happened, I'd ordered an 8oz brick of common-as-muck cheddar cheese, big national brand, nothing trendy or imported.

They were out, and their suggested substitute? A friggin' tub of cottage cheese. WTF?

That meant I still had to go in the store, walk to the back, and instead of getting the Tillamook cheddar cheese that I'd ordered, I got the Kraft cheddar cheese instead.

Who in the hell would suggest cottage cheese as a sub for a brick of cheddar?😒

My problem with Kroger (whom I think do a pretty good job overall) is the way they handle substitutions.

I'll get a text about two hours before my pickup time, and it'll say, "Your order had some out-of-stock items, please click here to approve substitutions" - and that'll dump me into the app, to my order, and it'll show the two or three things that were unavailable.

The problem is, it'll suggest one substitution, and it's always not what I want, but I do know there are other things I'd rather have subbed in, but they won't let me specify that. It's either take their suggested substitute or take nothing.

The last time it happened, I'd ordered an 8oz brick of common-as-muck cheddar cheese, big national brand, nothing trendy or imported.

They were out, and their suggested substitute? A friggin' tub of cottage cheese. WTF?

That meant I still had to go in the store, walk to the back, and instead of getting the Tillamook cheddar cheese that I'd ordered, I got the Kraft cheddar cheese instead.

Who in the hell would suggest cottage cheese as a sub for a brick of cheddar?😒

Remember when we were kids and had to pass the Iowa State Test? Remember the reading comprehension part? Yeah, me too. ;-)

IOW, you are trying to apply logical to a completely asinine computer program that was probably written by someone that never saw the inside of a grocery store. ;-0

I had this a while back but successfully made rough puff pastry with the S.R. flour. What did you intend using the plain flour for?
Nothing in particular, I just don't have much left (whereas I have plenty of SR). It was probably a bit of an overreaction in retrospect...I blame it on a busy day at work. :whistling:

I'm not familiar with that supermarket but have used online shopping for years due to my health problems. I became friendly with the supervisor over the online shopping team and she got to know my likes/dislikes. She could shop for me as well as I would shop for myself so my orders were never wrong and substitutions, when necessary, were done correctly.

Now, I live in a smallish town with just a WalMart and Aldis. WalMart opened their online shopping earlier this year and it's been hit or miss. I know one of the employees who does an excellent job but I cannot choose her to shop for me. I never allow subs and I don't order things that I want to look at first (produce, meat, poultry). The reality is many people at the stores are young and just don't know how to shop the way a person who is a cook or baker or even a parent shops. It has only become more difficult since COVID-19 because they are trying to keep up.

So, I have no magic answers for you. I would just recommend you call the store, get a manager on the line and find out how to avoid this problem in the future. They want your business so they'll find a way to make it a good working relationship. Or, they should! Crossing my fingers for you.
Ocado are online & delivery only so there is no store, and I believe the orders are picked by robot rather than people. So the fault most likely lies with whoever programmed the computers

Ocado are online & delivery only so there is no store, and I believe the orders are picked by robot rather than people. So the fault most likely lies with whoever programmed the computers

Well, that's no fun! I checked out their website and it doesn't look like they offer much in the way of customizing substitutions except the option to decline them upon delivery. ;-(

Nothing in particular, I just don't have much left (whereas I have plenty of SR). It was probably a bit of an overreaction in retrospect...I blame it on a busy day at work. :whistling:

Ocado website states:
Your groceries are picked and packed by our team of Personal Shoppers, with the help of our very own super-intelligent software system. It tells them what products to pack and where to put them, minimising damage, product contamination and even the number of bags we use.

We also use a detailed product segregation guide (containing advice from food technology experts and customers), as we believe your groceries should be packed to the very highest standards.

You can read all about it here:
Watch Ocado robots pick groceries in a supermarket warehouse

Back
Top Bottom