Surprising things you can microwave

Local time
11:01 AM
Some time ago, I think it was even on this forum, someone mentioned about microwaving bacon. Then I found myself in a situation where the mornings were bacon filled but sometimes hectic, so I decided to try it. And yes, while the bacon won't be crispy, it will still be well cooked and tastes like bacon.

Today, after a looooong run, I was in the kitchen making pasta. Everything was ready, it was already on the plate etc. and I thought, "damn.. could really use an egg or two on top of that." Being both hungry and lazy, I figured I'll just throw the egg into the microwave and see what happens. Funnily enough, 1 minute later I had 2 eggs on my pasta dish and I was good to go. Like above, it wasn't as good but it got the job done.

Any other surprising things that you can just throw into the microwave if you are too busy to cook it properly?

Nothing comes to mind that I've made in the microwave that is unusual.... but I'm *very* interested to hear how you made those eggs without them turning out totally rubbery. The time or two I've tried it... well those puppies would have bounced if I dropped them, I'm sure!

What did you put the eggs on to cook them? How long? Which power level?

I make eggs for breakfast sandwiches in the microwave. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with a little bit of milk, salt and pepper. Spray a microwave safe bowl with non-stick spray and then add the egg. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, or until cooked (no longer than 45 seconds). The egg will puff up slightly in the microwave, and then deflate when it's done cooking. If you get the right size bowl, the egg is JUST the perfect size for an English muffin!

I have never tried to cook anything in the microwave. I just use it to heat my food, but I am curious to try and cook eggs in the microwave. Why use a microwave to cook an egg though? In a frying pan it'll probably take as long anyway.

Nothing comes to mind that I've made in the microwave that is unusual.... but I'm *very* interested to hear how you made those eggs without them turning out totally rubbery. The time or two I've tried it... well those puppies would have bounced if I dropped them, I'm sure!

What did you put the eggs on to cook them? How long? Which power level?

Didn't do anything special, just cracked two of them on a deep plate made for soup and stuck that in the microwave. 600MW I believe... didn't check the time but definitely not long. They were a bit rubbery yes, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Why microwave? Faster (your eggs will be done roughly by the time your frying pan heats up) and makes less mess. I'll stick to the frying pan in a normal situation, but when it's all about speed then a microwave works too.

To be honest, I have always been wary of microwave cooking. I have heard that it affects the food in harmful ways. I don't know if there is any truth to it. I have made popcorn in microwaves though!

Pasta cooks up very well in the microwave. The only thing that doesn't work too well are thin pasta's such as angel hair - because they will stick together too much. However other pasta types such as egg noodles or penne work great. You also need to be careful if the pasta is too starchy, as it will sometimes cause the water to bubble over and make a bit of a mess.

Eggs will work in the microwave, but I'm not fond of preparing them that way to be honest. I had a microwave "egg poacher" container, but half the time it would cause the eggs to explode while cooking. I think you need to puncture the yolks a bit to prevent this from happening as much. Scrambled are a little easier to make in the microwave, but they will come out rubbery if you overcook them.

You can also make a cheddar cheese sauce in the microwave. Argo brand corn starch has a video on how to do this on Youtube.

I've microwaved eggs before! Let's just say, I did not eat it. I microwave my bacon, and my boyfriend thinks it's the weirdest thing. I actually prefer microwaved bacon to it fried on the stove.

Back
Top Bottom