Surprisingly Useful, Suprisingly Neglected

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
8:56 PM
I'm remembering this one time I was given an allowance to browse a bookstore--because I do like reading. But, nothing caught my eye, so I wandered over to a cookware shop.

Since my family had discovered this organic niche farmer's market that sold excellent sashimi, I got a sushi roller that we could probably use for it. I also got a donut/bagel cutter (or what looked like one) and a funnel.

My family laughed at me for getting a funnel, because what on earth would they use it for? And then they all proceeded to use that funnel for everything.

I regret getting the donut/bagel cutter because there are ways to make it that didn't involve fiddling with blades in concentric circles, even if everything would come out in uniform shape and size--which they wouldn't, because I never baked bread again. I just never felt like it.

We never used the sushi roller, either. Somehow, there was always something missing. Some new stall joined the organic market and we got interested in that more. Or, we got the sashimi, and the rice, but no nori. Or we had nori and rice but no sashimi. Or we had all three, and mayonnaise, and cucumbers... but used up the vinegar for flavoring the rice, and if we don't have that then it's just not going to taste like sushi. It's a placemat, now.

What was an appliance/kitchenware piece that you got but never use or only used once?

What was an appliance/kitchenware piece that surprised you with how frequently you use it and how multi-purpose it can be?

I don't use my rolling pin at all, I should have just gotten some ice tea in a big can and rolled with that if I needed to. I have a number of things that people have given me that I have never used. I never use a potato peeler, I use a knife instead.

That is the same thing I bought Firelilly and do not use. I bought my rolling pin and found I hate it. It doesn't work right and it feels awkward. I find I can roll out my dough easier and flatter with a glass cup than I can with my rolling pin. My mother-in-law on the other hand loves her rolling pin. Not sure what it is. Also, my blender. I use it more than once. But I think I might use it twice a year if that. If I need something turned into liquid form I just boil and mash with my potato masher. It is just easier than having to clean the blender to me.

Oh my god I love sushi. I've been wanting to make some myself for the longest time but I'm always making an excuse, one way or another. Ive wanted the sushi roller for a long time too, and I'm kinda hoping I'd get the chance this holiday season to pick one up for myself (and some books on how to make sushi!)

The thing that I only used once would probably have to be....a potato masher. You know, one of those things that's specifically FOR mashing potatoes. I usually just use a wooden spoon and it does the job just fine, plus it leaves some potato chunks which is nice because I like my mashed potatoes semi-chunky :P

I have a funnel too. It's one of the best things ever! I love it.

I bought a pizza cutter. I think I have used it once or twice. That's it. I also bought an apple corer peeler. It looks cool, but it's easier to peel an apple by hand. That really was a waste of good money.

LOL about the funnel part. I don't understand why they initially thought it isn't useful. Where I come from we always use the funnel. It's especially useful for transferring liquid - particularly oil - from one bottle to another. You can also use it to transfer grains to another container (just to make sure you don't spill any of it and prevent waste).

I bought these silicone cups that were supposed to make perfect poached eggs in simmering water, by essentially holding the egg in shape while they cook. Not only did it take forever for the eggs to cook, but they all stuck to the silicone despite me spraying them with cooking spray in advance.

I also regret buying that silicone cookware for cake pans and cupcakes and such. It's too wobbly when you are trying to place it in the oven, and there really isn't any benefit to cooking with it as the food still sticks quite a bit if not more so. Not to mention, I am uncomfortable about putting plastics or silicones in the oven - namely the possibility of them leaking toxic chemicals into my food.

The other fail was another silicone product, ice trays. They spill all over the freezer and unless you have a perfectly flat surface for them to rest on, forget it.

I bought a circular cake pan once. It was recommended by some people who saw me looking around lost in the pan aile. I thought that I would only use it for parties and things but I use it all the time. Its the kind where the sides of the pan are detachable. Its very easy to use

Back
Top Bottom