Sushi/Sashimi grade fish

Ailuxes

Local time
7:48 AM
Hello, I just made this account here. I have a question about seafood. It's really hard to find fish where I am, all we have is a Hyvee and a Walmart. I am a sushi lover, but what I can make at home is kind of limited to California rolls. I understand the thing about the fish having to be farm raised, and deep freezed at a certain point. But if I were to find some farm raised fish and put it in my freezer, do you think it would be fine?

Any ocean seafood you get in Minnesota is going to be frozen at some point. A grocery store may display what looks like fresh seafood in the fish counter, but it came to the store frozen, and they thawed it. I have the same situation in Dallas, for the most part.

I don't like sushi, so I don't know how freezing effects "sushi/sashimi grade" tuna, or other sushi seafood.

As for farm raised, that can be good or bad. It depends on where the farms are. Fish farms in the USA are covered by strict regulations in the name of food safety. In other countries, namely China, fish may be farmed in polluted water, or fed unsafe foods.

Lucky for us, The USDA requires all fish sold in the US to be labeled with where it came from, and whether it was wild caught or farmed. I love shrimp, and will only buy shrimp that was wild caught in the USA.

Also, to answer your last question, seafood should only be frozen one time, as soon as possible after being caught/harvested. It should stay frozen until you are ready to use it. If you buy "fresh" fish from the supermarket fish counter, and it has already been frozen and thawed, you really don't want to freeze it again.

CD

Last edited:
To expound, it's not just Chinese farmed fish you have to be wary of. Seafood is imported from lots of Asian countries. Personally, we don't even buy fish farmed in the U.S., it's wild caught only, but at least you can be assured the U.S. farms are held accountable to industry standards.

We also buy wild caught U.S. shrimp mostly. There's a variety called Royal Reds from along the U.S. Gulf down to the Central to South Americas. They are deep water shrimp, not farmed. We'll buy them also when we come across them.

Any ocean seafood you get in Minnesota is going to be frozen at some point. A grocery store may display what looks like fresh seafood in the fish counter, but it came to the store frozen, and they thawed it. I have the same situation in Dallas, for the most part.

I don't like sushi, so I don't know how freezing effects "sushi/sashimi grade" tuna, or other sushi seafood.

As for farm raised, that can be good or bad. It depends on where the farms are. Fish farms in the USA are covered by strict regulations in the name of food safety. In other countries, namely China, fish may be farmed in polluted water, or fed unsafe foods.

Lucky for us, The USDA requires all fish sold in the US to be labeled with where it came from, and whether it was wild caught or farmed. I love shrimp, and will only buy shrimp that was wild caught in the USA.

Also, to answer your last question, seafood should only be frozen one time, as soon as possible after being caught/harvested. It should stay frozen until you are ready to use it. If you buy "fresh" fish from the supermarket fish counter, and it has already been frozen and thawed, you really don't want to freeze it again.

CD
I guess its kinda dumb of me to forget how far the fish must be coming from so of course it would have to be frozen at some point. I forgot to mention that I also have a fareway, and he said their salmon is farm raised, and never frozen, but if thats true that it was frozen at some point, I think that would make it okay for sushi... not sure though. Its hard to find answers online when I look things up

I'm From Ontario in Canada and the bulk of fish sold in supermarkets comes fresh. If it's been previously frozen it will be advertised that way. Farm raised here is looked down upon and other than theu usual suspects like Atlantic salmon, trout, tilapia etc is wild caught. Of course Atlantic salmon only comes farmed but fresh sushi grade is still readily available here but all tuna at my local is wild. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom