Sweet or Savory Breakfast?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
7:53 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
This is a bit of a point of contention in our household. I have to have a sweet breakfast. That's not to say it has to be loaded with sugar, but I'll take fruit/granola/yogurt any day of the week over bacon, eggs, and toast. That could be to do with the fact I really dislike eggs, but that's another story!

My husband on the other hand says he never feels satisfied if he has something sweet for breakfast, and will always end up craving a savory food afterwards if he does have something sweet - so he just sticks to bacon, eggs, toast, rice, sausage - some sort of combination of those things.

What about you? Are you inclined one way or the other?

I am not a big fan of eggs either unless I have having french toast. My mood for breakfast varies. Sometimes I want sweet and other times savory. Then there are days where I would rather just have coffee. My husband thinks everybody should have a big breakfast so he usually goes all out with bacon, eggs, toast, hashbrowns and beans. He also like to do omelette with lots of veggies and ham. I find it all a bit too much. I like breakfast to be simple and not to big.

My breakfast usually consists of everything savoury. I would not go for sweet biscuits, cake or doughnuts for breakfast. These are all sweet stuff which tend to make one sluggish too early in the day. I generally leave the sweet stuff for later on in the day. The only thing that would classify as sweet in my breakfast would be the sugar that I add to my cereal and to my tea, and I have been trying to cut back on the amount added.

The day I have a full breakfast I would have both but not 'sweet' in the full sense of the work\d. It would be more of a semi sweet in my mind and then the eggs, bacon and all that other 'good' stuff. However I struggle with being consistent with breakfast so often I will have neither.

When I was in Canada breakfast was quite often bacon, pancakes, maple syrup. Where I worked it was early and usually had breakfast. Nowadays it's usually your typical savory light breakfast. Sometimes it's really simple, like an egg muffin, some oats and a fruit. On weekends it can often be a breakfast casserole. Rarely ever anything sweet anymore.

I am not a big breakfast person, but when I do have a big breakfast it is savory, it keeps me full longer. I do prefer the sweet breakfast because it is quicker, no cooking needed. Just yogurt fruit or cold cereal.

I'd have to say I'm 50/50. My favorite breakfast is probably french toast, but I do like eggs, bacon and toast as well. One morning I'll eat oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar and then next I'll have eggs and toast with butter. It really depends on my mood I suppose.

Most of the time my breakfast is this: black coffee, unsweetened brown rice flakes, nonfat plain yogurt, banana and green vegetable juice. So... it's not really sweet, though I do spice up my coffee with ground ginger and toss some cinnamon into my yogurt, but it's certainly not savory either. I'm not really a fan of the scrambled eggs and toast breakfast -- partially because I don't eat eggs, and I don't really like toast.

I'm more than happy with coffee (no sugar) and porridge (unsweetened). Where does that fall?

But if there is a little fruit I like going around, such as raspberries, strawberries or blackberries, even red, white, pink or blackcurrants or even blueberries, I'll happily add 50g of those to the porridge. No sugar necessary, just the natural addition from the fruit.

I prefer what would be classed as sweet, although nothing would actually be sweetened (except for natural sugars). A decent muesli (Pimhill organic springs to mind) with a minimum amount of whole milk, porridge made with water and unsweetened with some fruit, or nuts and seeds with whole milk and home made whole milk plain yoghurt, or a whey pancake with blueberries, pecans or walnuts and home made whole milk plain yoghurt (all unsweetened). A couple of mugs of coffee or tea (decaff) with whole milk to wash it all down. The only sweetened item I would have is my morning medication - enough espartame in it to sink a battleship but the unsweetened equivalent makes me feel quite ill! Once or twice a week I have a couple of pieces of toast and either unsweetened peanut butter or a boiled egg but I really prefer these later in the day as a snack. I have a traditional fry up occasionally but, again, I prefer these later in the day. I had blueberry and pecan pancake this morning - hound friendly, so I had to share a bit :D

I prefer a savory breakfast; it gives me more energy for the day ahead than a sugar-loaded breakfast. I eat eggs every morning for breakfast, and the many different ways you can prepare them make the breakfast options endless. I like my eggs best scrambled or made as an omelet.

Back
Top Bottom