Recipe Sweet Potato Latkes

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
2:21 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Made for Thanksgiving, 2013, when the date for Chanukah and Thanksgiving meshed up.

Expand ingredients upwards for a crowd.

latkes-finished.jpg

• 1 cup shredded sweet potato (this is about one moderately large sweet potato). You may wish to peel, first (I simply peeled off the thicker, rougher portions of the skin, removing most of it). Next time I may try the super fine grating option, but this worked nicely.
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 medium onion, diced
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Salt and ground pepper to taste
  • Oil for cooking (I used olive oil; sesame might add a new kick to this)
Mix it all up with your hands, form some patties — make them thin and flat so they cook through without burning the outsides, heat up your oil to medium high, reduce heat to medium, or just under medium, as you add your latkes. You can deep fry them, which is traditional; I chose not to — I used just enough oil to keep the skillet happy.

It is possible some of them may break up; they’ll still taste great, and most of mine held together just fine, only shedding a little potato on the edges. Anyhow, about five minutes per side, then flip back for a final 30 seconds to the original side — so everything is hot.

Dish out, and serve.

Yes, it is now too late to make these for Chanukkah (or Thanksgiving) this year, but maybe this is something to think about serving at least twice next year! (Or just plain anytime — I’ve never tried making latkes before, but I’ll certainly do them again.)

These are tasty and they are healthy — no added sweeteners, what can I say? (Other than SWEET potatoes don't need them, ever, unless we are talking dessert.) And they are quick and easy — three out of three ain’t bad!

Back
Top Bottom