Sweet potato soup

kammy

Veteran
Local time
2:56 PM
Since i found out that i am suffering from hypertension i have being trying to eat more healthy and as such i've cut down on frying immensely...i am more into soups now...last night i decided to make myself some sweet potato soup which was just divine...i puree some sweet potatoes, salmon,celery and rosemary, then cook for a few minutes and season with garlic powder and cayenne pepper...it was just yummy.

Well this sounds like a good meal to try. Whenever I cook soup, I always cook sweet potato on the side to eat along with the soup, but I have never really cooked it into the soup before. I always use pumpkin and eddoes. Since I am always cooking sweet potato when I cook soup, I guess I could try this recipe and incorporate the sweet potato into the soup. I prefer meat like chicken or lamb in my soup though, so I would have to leave out the salmon on this occasion. I have never really tried using any type of fish in my soup before.

Well this sounds like a good meal to try. Whenever I cook soup, I always cook sweet potato on the side to eat along with the soup, but I have never really cooked it into the soup before. I always use pumpkin and eddoes. Since I am always cooking sweet potato when I cook soup, I guess I could try this recipe and incorporate the sweet potato into the soup. I prefer meat like chicken or lamb in my soup though, so I would have to leave out the salmon on this occasion. I have never really tried using any type of fish in my soup before.

Caribbean girl I agree it's a soup we should try. I have to say I am surprise you have not been cooking your "bajan" soup with the sweet potato in the cook up. I actually found it quite odd when I went to a restaurant and saw the liquid separate from the ground provisions. I always add all my vegetables to the soup and when I have eddoes that's an added treat especially for my husband.

That Kammy pureed the potatoes must mean it was really nice and thick.

I have to say I am surprise you have not been cooking your "bajan" soup with the sweet potato in the cook up. I actually found it quite odd when I went to a restaurant and saw the liquid separate from the ground provisions

Well, actually, years ago, my mum used to cook regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, dumplings, pumpkin, and sometimes yam (when potatoes were not used) in the soup itself, but the only thing that was pureed was the pumpkin. After a while, we started cooking the sweet potato and yam separately, to eat on the side. So, i have continued on with this method. I continue to puree the pumpkin and I also like to puree some eddoes since this gives the soup a nice thick texture. i omit the dumplings these days, however.

Well, actually, years ago, my mum used to cook regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, dumplings, pumpkin, and sometimes yam (when potatoes were not used) in the soup itself, but the only thing that was pureed was the pumpkin. After a while, we started cooking the sweet potato and yam separately, to eat on the side. So, i have continued on with this method. I continue to puree the pumpkin and I also like to puree some eddoes since this gives the soup a nice thick texture. i omit the dumplings these days, however.

Knowing our history Caribbean Girl, we might be scolded from omitting the dumplings:). It's our tradition but if I am being totally honest, I hardly cook a traditional soup. Many years ago when I wanted to say I had prepared soup in our local style, I called up my mom for the dumpling recipe and have not made dumplings since as far as I can remember.

I like light soup especially if I am preparing it for the sick or as a starter meal. I still welcome my local soup prepared by my mom as a main meal as it's nice and thick.

If you want a really easy and quick dumping recipe then try these. They are not Surrey dumplings but something I devised whilst living on the road cycling around the world and taken minutes to make and ten to cook.

www.cookingbites.com/threads/fool-proof-dumplings.278/
Thanks for the recipe. I really would not mind trying it the vegan way, Have to look it over again to see if I have all the ingredients required. I am not a big butter fan so maybe I should see what we have here on the island that falls into the vegan category. Only our very big supermarkets carry vegan and vegetarian ingredients. My parish mini marts almost never carry food items for persons with special dietary needs.

Back
Top Bottom