Tablet in the kitchen?

Jessi

Veteran
Local time
3:52 PM
I am finding that I LOVE having a tablet. I didn't think I would use it much and I really didn't to begin with, but then after the first time of pulling up a recipe on the screen and setting it on my counter while cooking, I was hooked. I should probably get a screen protector so I'm not worried about the butter or flour getting on the screen, but in general, it makes it a piece of cake to pull up a recipe and follow it on the screen instead of printing it off, going back and forth to the computer, or trying to read it on a small phone screen.

How about you? Do you keep a tablet in the kitchen while cooking?

Absolutely! It's great when doing something I haven't made before. Agree about the protector need somehow to keep floury hands off

Nah, I can normally memorize what I'm supposed to do. If I can't, the computer is in the next room... or I can just take it with me (laptop obviously) if I need to.
Besides I love experimenting so if I forget a part of the recipe... I just go with "hey it could have been this, right?!" and see what happens.

I've done that before. My iPad has that cover that can be used as a stand, so I might put the tablet near me while I cook...but not too close, as I'm clumsy and it may not end well.

I do have a tablet I set beside me while I prep and cook, but I place it on an elevated place relatively far away from all the mess I'm making because I don't want to have to deal with a screen guard. I worry sometimes that the oil evaporation somehow makes it onto my device, though, so whenever I'm frying something I always make sure to crank up the exhaust fan to high and set my tablet even further than usual.

I use my phone as a "cook book" alot so of course, its a necessity in the kitchen. If I don't need it, I have it running a rewards program so I can get rewarded for down time. Lol

I've only done this a few couple of times, but only when I can clean and dry my hands up quickly, haha. This usually means desserts. But when it comes to actual meals and dishes, I usually place the tablet somewhere near (but not directly on the table where I'm working), or I print out the recipe and have the tablet close by at the same time. This is useful especially if I have a video for reference, and not just a recipe, haha

I like a tablet in the kitchen because it allowed me to stop lugging my laptop into the kitchen. I used to use cookbooks but I found turning pages etc. made them a little dirty and I actually like the way my cookbooks look on a shelf in my kitchen so I like to keep them clean and smudge free. I bought a tablet holder (they sell them at William Sonoma, but you can also find great deals for them on groupon goods etc.) and it makes all the difference because it safely props the tablet up and protects it from any type of spatter.

My tablet stays in the kitchen almost all the time. My husband loves cooking and he uses it to try different recipes. It is more easier for him to use a tablet than a regular cookbook.

Actually, I use my smart phone instead of a tablet. I think its smaller and in some cases it's more convenience. I'm having an app that shows me some useful recipes. lol. "Cellphone in the kitchen" too!

I am finding that I LOVE having a tablet. I didn't think I would use it much and I really didn't to begin with, but then after the first time of pulling up a recipe on the screen and setting it on my counter while cooking, I was hooked. I should probably get a screen protector so I'm not worried about the butter or flour getting on the screen, but in general, it makes it a piece of cake to pull up a recipe and follow it on the screen instead of printing it off, going back and forth to the computer, or trying to read it on a small phone screen.

How about you? Do you keep a tablet in the kitchen while cooking?
I would if I owned one. I just bring my laptop in the kitchen, especially when it's a video recipe. I love to see the step my step process. I stopped printing my recipes off as well. I just write them down on paper and save the ink for something else.

I bring my laptop recently and it's a bit cumbersome to tell the truth. I guess I can use "my" IPad if my son would let me. It was supposed to me mine that we would share but I hardly use it. I know recipes books have become somewhat outdated but somehow, they were easier to work with.

I do not yet have a tablet computer, but I do use my smartphone in the kitchen when I need to refer to an online recipe. Most of the time, I print out the recipe ahead of time so that I can throw it in my notebook if I know I am going to keep it. If the recipe is something that I don't think I am going to use again, then I will just use my cell phone to follow the instructions.

I do not yet have a tablet computer, but I do use my smartphone in the kitchen when I need to refer to an online recipe. Most of the time, I print out the recipe ahead of time so that I can throw it in my notebook if I know I am going to keep it. If the recipe is something that I don't think I am going to use again, then I will just use my cell phone to follow the instructions.

That sounds like you have good eyes. I don't consider using my phone ever. I like my reading to be enlarged and right up in my face with the largest font. I keep meaning to print my recipes which I think would be the ideal thing but most of the times when I am doing my stuff a printer is not within easy reach. Maybe there is also the procrastinating factor in there as well.

I do that often with my laptop. It's so convenient, especially if I am pulling up multiple things in different tabs to work on more than one dish. After all, a complete meal is more than one thing on a plate usually. If I am working with a new ingredient I may have to look for a complimentary side. Sometimes it's just good to have the ingredient list handy so you don't forget something.

Back
Top Bottom