Taco Bake

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
6:25 PM
I am really looking for new, inexpensive meals to cook for my family. My sister suggested a taco bake. She said that all you have to do cook ground beef and season it with taco or whatever you seasonings you like. Then you use soft tortillas and place a bottom layer. Then a layer of beef, salsa and cheese sauce, and repeat three layers. The top then gets a layer of crushed hard shell tacos, Doritos, or hard tortilla chips (for crunchiness) and then a topping of shredded cheddar or American. On your plate you might add guacamole or sour cream. I am probably going to make this soon. Have you made it/had it before?

I have made something similar before. It's always an easy and well-liked meal. There are so many different ways you can make it, and once you find a good base recipe, like the one you've explained, you can always add or subtract ingredients to make it more to your personal liking. I just made one last night, as a matter of fact. I just threw together some browned ground beef and taco seasonings, a can of Rotel, a can of green chilis, a can of sliced olives, some refried beans, an onion, some garlic, and a drained can of corn. I layered this in a pan with flour tortillas, topping it with shredded cheese so it was sort of like a burrito/taco lasagna. Then I popped it in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. The kids loved it. We garnished it with sour cream and avocado. The best part, for me, is that I divided it into 2 8x8 pans instead of one 9x13, so we had one for dinner last night and the other went into the freezer for another night.

That recipe reminds me of one I saw once but they were calling it a Mexican lasagna. Same sort of concept as your usual Italian lasagna but using tortillas instead of lasagna sheets and seasoned taco meat/salsa instead of your usual bolognese type sauce.

I've not yet tried it but it sounds economical and like it would be a crowd pleaser - that's two things we always need around here!

That does sound good, I think I will make this for the cook out I am going to this week end.

I haven't made it as a casserole, but I make the dish in a big skillet, then put it in tortillas, or on tostadas. I also add a can of Rotel, as @ReadWriteLearnLove mentioned, as well as taco seasoning and refried beans. Also, sometimes I use ground pork instead of beef, because it's less expensive.

This sounds very easy to do and inexpensive. I need to try this for my family. I am a mother is six and am always thinking about different ways to feed my family. I love cooking and trying things that are new. i've thought about this but have never tried it. I love pitas, wraps, & pretty much all Mexican food. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom