Takeaway Coffee Cups. Should they be taxed?

What will they tax next? Taxing Coffee paper cups is the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of. :bookworm:

What will they tax next? Taxing Coffee paper cups is the most unheard of thing I've ever heard of. :bookworm:

We wouldn't need all these taxes if people were responsible with there discards. I live at a T-intersection at the South end of a street. You wouldn't believe the stuff that blows into my yard in the winter, when the winds are mostly from the North. Those cheap plastic grocery bags are the worst. They get in my bushes, my gate -- I had one from Walmart that got snagged 40-feet above the ground in the tree in front of my house. It took about three months for it to finally shred and blow out of the tree. What an eyesore that was. Just yesterday, there was a Burger King cup stuck under my driveway gate.

CD

Just ban paper cups then, period. Simply bring your own container and if you forget, well, no coffee and you probably won't forget too many more times. Starbucks and every other ginormous company on the planet are there to make money for their shareholders. Seaspiracy was an eye opener. Watched it on Netflix. It's got everything, big payouts, conspiracies, murder and slavery.

We have a 10 cent charge for bags at the stores. We usually bring cloth and bag our own.
At my supermarket they charge 5 cents per each paper bag, plastic no longer available. At my smaller market, they have boxes once containing groceries and produce they let you use... second life for them before recycling center. Really nice ones I save for a third use..

Taxing paper drinking cups... sounds like a nightmare for small independent coffee shops and eateries. I'd be happy, though, if they simply charged 5 more cents per cup, keeping that money for themselves.

Just ban paper cups then, period. Simply bring your own container and if you forget, well, no coffee and you probably won't forget too many more times. Starbucks and every other ginormous company on the planet are there to make money for their shareholders. Seaspiracy was an eye opener. Watched it on Netflix. It's got everything, big payouts, conspiracies, murder and slavery.
One problem with that is many people come with crappy old cups that still have day old coffee in it and ask you to wash out first..we used to do it the odd time for a courtesy, but I'm not in the business of handling everybody's dirty old coffee ups with who knows what in the bottom with a sippy lid that has been in somebody's mouth...for get it..I'd stop selling coffee first

One problem with that is many people come with crappy old cups that still have day old coffee in it and ask you to wash out first..we used to do it the odd time for a courtesy, but I'm not in the business of handling everybody's dirty old coffee ups with who knows what in the bottom with a sippy lid that has been in somebody's mouth...for get it..I'd stop selling coffee first
I was being more facetious than anything else. At my local they discount the drink if you bring your own container, not now with the current climate though. My point with mentioning Seaspiracy was, it would be nice if we took a more transparent view at pollution and start addressing the large companies that virtue signal while laying waste to the planet as opposed to taxing the middle class while no mention of the big picture. It's not a conspiracy if it's done in plain sight, which it is. I guess I'm tired of paying more taxes while these companies increase profits while getting millions in subsidies.

I'd basically tell them if it doesn't look clean.... no service. And we aren't your housekeeper, go home and clean it yourself

In Ohio, the drink itself is taxed anyway so this is a bit less of a issue. Measuring the water, CO2 and syrup to make it i not a good measure. So such places do inventory by the cups. After a good month of that they know the cost to the millicent. (1/1,000 of a penny)

But now what of the places where you keep the coffee cup and they'll fill it the next day ?

Well first consider the value. Nice big commercial pots running sequentially to have good coffee all the time. And that can make people order other things. But not just or the and value they are helping the coffee keep fresh. You know after while how it gets. If you move enough of it it ever gets there never is after while.

So even if it is considered a rebate for advertising dragging this cup around, in Ohio the tax goes on before the rebate comes off.

So I can "see" the bean counters down in Columbus figuring out the new tax on those things they are always grasping for any revenue. Not likely to change either, republican state, democrat government. That's the breaks.

Anyway, about the whole thing, I think that some slick lawyers are going to fight this to death.

T

I'd have no problem taxing it or going with a BYOC model. It would barely impact us, as we might buy coffee/tea in a to-go cup three or four times a year.

I worked for a company in the industry - they planted trees, made paper, recycled paper.

recycling paper is done by dumping it all into a mash. extraneous 'bits' are filtered out.
so plastic coated makes no difference.

composting is the same issue. the paper will compost rapidly, the plastic does not. so you're left with composted dust of paper with plastic strands mixed in. run it thru a sifter, paper tilth on one side, plastic scraps on other side, nadda problem. use one, burn the other.

basically the public is being fed a whole lot of utter political hogwash.

the environmental plastic issue - and it's real - is due to the billions of tons of waste-containing-plastic that is not recycled - simply dumped in the ocean.

a tax is not the answer. put a $50 deposit on a disposable coffee cup and I'm thinking it'll be returned for proper recycling . . . .

I only ever drink coffee when I'm on a roady with butcher, and then we sit in or outside with real cups and not paper, so I kinda feel I'm helping the environment. We recycle at home as well. Our green bin goes to landfill and if you don't comply you get your bin confiscated. My wife spends ages cleaning tins and washing glass bottles. About 2,000 were taken off people last month.
My wife likes to comply, me not so much.

Russ

in the 1980's German merchants charged 10 Pfennig per bag.
the idea of tax is new(er), the idea of 'it costs' is old.

Back
Top Bottom