Talking tofu

Now, I'm wondering if I should stuff some peppers with tofu??? For the month's dish?

I opened up the fridge door and asked the block of tofu sitting there if it wanted to be stuffed into a pepper, and if so, what kind?

Unfortunately, my particular block of tofu doesn't seem to be a "talking tofu" variety....

So, we shall see...

I have recently bought a pack of firm tofoo to try, just need to sort an interesting recipe. We had tofu a few years ago and it wasn't good, however there is more choice now and better access to recipes so just need to find one we like the idea of.

Smoked Tofu wrapped in starch, fried until brown and then served with the typical Teriyaki or yakitori sauce is basically foolproof for our western taste buds
You can also wrap it in Tempura and then panko for more crunch, same sauce

Smoked Tofu wrapped in starch, fried until brown and then served with the typical Teriyaki or yakitori sauce is basically foolproof for our western taste buds
You can also wrap it in Tempura and then panko for more crunch, same sauce

Ooh...now there's a thought :)

I have recently bought a pack of firm tofoo to try, just need to sort an interesting recipe. We had tofu a few years ago and it wasn't good, however there is more choice now and better access to recipes so just need to find one we like the idea of.
We introduced my sister to it whilst we were in the UK. She loves it.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the teryaki version of Tofoo, but the original and smoked versions are great just as is. We often just eat them on toast or sandwiches. My little sister now loves tofu and tempeh. We showed her how to cook it in the airfryer we bought for her. She reading it most days now, not adding oil or anything else, just cooking the tempeh or warming the tofu in the airfryer before adding it to her omelette or meal.

The cauldron foods version is also pre-frozen and defrosted, so the ice has already changed the texture meaning that if you drain it, the holes are already there in the tofu for a marinade to get into it. A miso, maple syrup marinade is great.

Are you talking about soy granules chunks SatNav? I love it in chili sin Carne or vegan Currys.
We had to freeze our Tofu without a speed freezer, I'm not a big fan of the texture.

What do you think about homemade Seitan steak?

Are you talking about soy granules chunks SatNav
No.
There is a brand of tofu called Tofoo in the UK and they mix the flavoring in with the tofu from what I've seen for some flavours including teryaki and smoked. You can physically see the flavoring inside the tofu.

We've made our own homemade seitan decades ago. We have never had such bad gas before or since. We'll not do it again.

The Tofoo idea sunds interesting, we have vegan Steaks from "redefine meat". Very pleasant taste for meat eaters.

How about the Mushroom steak? I'm looking for good vegan proteins to set on the menu one day. Right now we serve cauliflower in two ways, as a steak, puree and Broccolino as decoration. Not my favorite cup of tea, it lacks proteins

The Tofoo idea sunds interesting, we have vegan Steaks from "redefine meat". Very pleasant taste for meat eaters.

How about the Mushroom steak? I'm looking for good vegan proteins to set on the menu one day. Right now we serve cauliflower in two ways, as a steak, puree and Broccolino as decoration. Not my favorite cup of tea, it lacks proteins
One of my favourite dishes is mushrooms. So many things that can be done with them even as a plain "steak". I love them cooked in a mix of olive oil and vegan butter (plain soy yoghurt adds the missing ingredient that most vegan butter misses) cooked slowly over a long low heat until the mushroom almost melts away. Large field mushrooms or even giant puff balls work amazingly well for that. I used to grow my own massive field mushrooms in the UK. Not so easy here in Australia sadly.

Flavored tofu would be pretty easy to make. Homemade is great and pretty easy. It is totally different from normal Chinese/Japanese tofu. I have been having thoughts about ways of making my own equivalent of Tofoo. You'd just need to add the flavouring in with the soy bean curd before the coagulant is added, drained and pressed. It would naturally settle with the soy bean curd and be part of the tofu. Making homemade tofu is exceptionally easy.

You could also investigate Burmese tofu which is made with chickpeas not soy beans. I make my own which is stunningly simple. Literally just boiling chickpea/gram flour with water, mixing to a fine paste and allowing it to set as it cools. Very similar in concept to polenta but with chickpeas you get protein as well. Again I can't see why flavouring can't be added at the making stage (such as liquid smoke or garlic granules, onion powder etc).

Also look up Yuba. In Europe & UK you can buy it ready made. It's soy bean skin but it tastes much better than it sounds! Think of the skin off custard or similar. I have to make my own over here which I've done. It's time consuming, but I used to buy it ready made in the UK and whilst cycling around Europe.

Increasingly, I am finding that vegans in particular, are now staying away from "fake meats" because they are too much like what they stopped eating. I've never really been keen on them, and don't often use them. There are one of two exceptions but not many.

Over here in Australia, there is a massive range of soy meat alternatives available to the catering only market, plus the Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese markets have access to so much more as well. Tofu puffs, deep fried tofu and other such things are really available in the normal supermarkets.

Thanks for the exceptional post SatNav.
It's crucial to learn more about non meat proteins and while the market is growing in this segment, meat is still consumed 90% of the time.
The starters we serve in the restaurant are a good mix between vegetarian, vegan, meat and fish but the main course is dominated by filet, Entrecote, lamb and fish. There's just one vegan option with cauliflower steak and it's way to pricey for what it is. It's crazy what we do with the planet

Back
Top Bottom