Tea-kettles and coffee makers and water

That would be a great kettle for me, since that is about the size of any of my classic tea cups. Mom collected them, then when I put them on display I added a *ahem* "few" more. Mostly, though, I use a mug. Those hold a minimum of 375ml up to more water than I would use to steep a bag or measure of loose tea.

Tea kettles and coffee makers. As I had mentioned in a different thread, we usually use an automatic drip style coffee maker and grind beans fresh for each pot. We buy our coffee in 1# (400g) bags, ordered from a small coffee roasting company about 60 miles from us. They roast your beans after they get your order, then bag and ship them. Not only is their coffee excellent, but the owner is a wonderful activist for social justice and helping poor coffee-growing regions improve their surroundings and get fair value for their wares. We also use filtered water for the coffee, even though our tap water is palatable...per hubby. I can taste something a bit "off" depending on the season, but that's just me.

As far as tea goes, I use tea bags most of the time for my general tea drinking. However, when I want a special tea, I use a special cup from my collection - five of them are my Mom's, which she collected until I was old enough to break that sixth set that she did have (oops). The rest are mine that I acquired over a couple of years time until I decided that I had enough "stuff".

This photo is of our kitchen set-up for the "art of coffee". Our automatic coffee maker in at the left edge of a vintage dresser we re-purposed. To the right of that is the coffee bean grinder, then my basket stand with tools of the coffee making trade: measuring spoon that hubby carved from some oak wood from our back yard (he was newly laid off and bored out of his mind at the time), coffee filters, bag of coffee beans, tea in tins, and cookies! Hop over to the right and you can see my stainless steel kettle I use for boiling water.

* It was my great aunt's and rather than tossing it or donating to a re-sale shop, hubby reinforced the drawers and I scrubbed the dresser with Murphy's Oil Soap and used a furniture lemon oil on it to give it a bit of a finish. It holds most of my kitchen hand tools, baking pans, and cooling racks.

20170707_035952.jpg

Well I mentioned on another thread that really everybody here in the UK has an electric kettle - or at least it would be quite rare to find a household in the UK without one. I had thought that most countries used electric kettles but perhaps not. They are certainly very useful for heating up water super fast (and bottled water could be used in them if the tap water was undrinkable). Now I have become very curious to know whether the UK is unusual in this respect!

I use it for so many things - I boil water in the kettle and then add to the saucepan for cooking vegetables, for example - it saves on fuel and time. I think I'd find it quite strange to be without an electric kettle though I'm sure I would manage.

@morning glory

I have never seen an Electric Kettle in a Spanish home however, I have not been in that many people´s homes to state whether or not this is a true fact. Electricity is quite expensive in Iberia and it is norm to use Gas Natural for stoves as it is much cheaper .. However, electric stoves are a much easier to clean option .. However, the electricity is costly here ..

I think it might also have something to do with both the climate in the U.K. which has a large precipation ( rain ) factor and a profound tea culture ..

In Spain, the Bars serve Café for 1 Euro to 1.30 Euros and they are packed in the early mornings, with people rushing off to catch their transport on the way to work. Also, though winters are cold, it is extremely sunny except for the rain season which is very short lived especially in the central zones of Castilla Leon, Castile La Mancha, Madrid Capital and the entire south and the Coasts .. All which are very dry ..

Spaniards as a race, spend alot of time out of their apartments .. The Tapas Culture is enormous ..

These could be a factor ..

Here's a curious fact: when I worked in Eritrea, I was provided with a water filter. I never needed to use it because the water we received was of far better quality than any water I've known in the UK. Where I lived - on the Red Sea coast - you could always spot outsiders in restaurants because they were the ones drinking the bottled water. The rest of us were happy with tap water.

Mind you, this did not apply to the whole country. In the capital, Asmara, the water was awful. The only times I suffered from the oh-no-not-again toilet syndrome was during my visits to Asmara. Where I lived, our water came down from the Ethiopian mountains and was of excellent quality.

And yes, I did have an electric kettle when I lived there. I bought one from a marine biologist who was heading home. It cost me a tenner and it ensured that I got about an extra ten minutes' sleep every night (the length of time it would take to boil a kettle on a stove).

Here is my coffee set up.
20170707_110030.jpg
it is on top of my aunt's old desk. Excuse the glare, it is under my kitchen window.

Here's a curious fact: when I worked in Eritrea, I was provided with a water filter. I never needed to use it because the water we received was of far better quality than any water I've known in the UK. Where I lived - on the Red Sea coast - you could always spot outsiders in restaurants because they were the ones drinking the bottled water. The rest of us were happy with tap water.

The best water I've ever had was when I was in a village in Greece in the 1960s. There was a very rudimentary and intermittent water supply, and the tap water was usually used for watering the vegetables etc in the garden. All other water came from a local mountain stream (above sheep-line) and was beautiful and cool. They had a cauldron out in the garden over a wood fire to provide hot water.

The water where I was in Germany needed to be boiled or, at least, drawn and left for about half an hour for the sediment to settle - a half pint glass of water usually had about an inch and a half of sediment in it. The pipes to the hot taps were so blocked that hot water came out as a trickle.

Where I live, there are no reservoirs, so the water comes from the local sewage works. It is so full of chemicals, it is disgusting. When they add the chemicals, it smells of bleach. The morning before they add the chemicals, it smells of sh*t. Water pressure used to leave a lot to be desired at times, although is better since they had to replace the water main after a load of new houses were built in the area. I filter and boil all water for making drinks and either boil or filter and boil water for cooking. I cannot drink tap water at all. The last time I had two sips of water at a SALT outpatients appointment, I ended up at the doctors and was put on antibiotics for a fortnight. My face, mouth and throat were so swollen up I could barely breath, let alone swallow anything - and that was bottled water! One of my meds used to state "take with tap water only"; the instructions have now been amended to state "take with water, but not mineral water or flavoured water",

To get back on topic, I have had my electric kettle for several years. It has only needed descaling once, and that was after someone else used it to make tea two three times and had filled it from the tap. I did have a stove-top kettle, but got rid of that after whistle failed to work (clogged with limescale) and I badly burnt my hand on the handle. Like @morning glory I boil water for cooking too, as that is much quicker and cheaper than waiting for a pan of water to boil. I also have an electric coffee filter, which keeps coffee hot and drinkable for about 3/4 hour before switching itself off automatically. I use a Brita water filter, which is cleaned regularly, otherwise the top of it gets full of limescale and green junk from the tap water.

My daughter has three taps in her kitchen - cold, hot and boiling. Very good, until you forget which tap is which! Where she lives, the water is of far better quality than the water we have here, although I still don't drink the tap water.

I forgot who it is but there is a company that makes a stove with a water tap for quickly filling big pots. I think it does hot water but I am not sure. If it is hot water, you would need a whole house filter because of the limescale.

PS: your water was on topic.

Yes, electric kettles are pretty much standard across Europe. Stove top ones are now less common, but we do have one in case of power failure. Although our house is a few hundred years old, the plumbing is quite modern, so we get drinkable hot water from the taps as well.

As for coffee, we usually brew Lavazza in a cafetière, but also have a stove-top espresso machine. My favourite, although it has not been used in a while, is a 1960's electric percolator. It is an electric version of the stove-top espresso machine, that sits there and hisses and gurgles, emitting lovely aromas for about 15 minutes before the coffee is ready to drink.

As for coffee, we usually brew Lavazza in a cafetière, but also have a stove-top espresso machine. My favourite, although it has not been used in a while, is a 1960's electric percolator. It is an electric version of the stove-top espresso machine, that sits there and hisses and gurgles, emitting lovely aromas for about 15 minutes before the coffee is ready to drink.
We used to have a stove-top percolator in the 1950s. I don't know what coffee Mum used, but it tasted lovely.

We used to have a stove-top percolator in the 1950s. I don't know what coffee Mum used, but it tasted lovely.
My grandmother had an electric percolator for her coffee and a stovetop percolator for granddad's coffee.
Well I say her coffee, she would share hers with others. Granddad on the other hand had a pot to himself unless his brother-in-law came to visit. They would share his pot.
Funny thing was the brother-in-law always brought a supply of coffee to leave with granddad. We couldn't get granddad's favorite coffee up here. His brother-in-law lived on the coast.

My grandmother had an electric percolator for her coffee and a stovetop percolator for granddad's coffee.
Well I say her coffee, she would share hers with others. Granddad on the other hand had a pot to himself unless his brother-in-law came to visit. They would share his pot.
Funny thing was the brother-in-law always brought a supply of coffee to leave with granddad. We couldn't get granddad's favorite coffee up here. His brother-in-law lived on the coast.
I have to drink decaf coffee because of my throat problems, which limits me a bit, but I can get Lavazza coffee and some particularly nice Colombian coffee which are decaf. Some of the other decaf ones are pretty awful. I still drink the occasional cup of ordinary coffee (when I'm out or visiting friends). There is a park where I take the dog - it's seven miles away - and their coffee in their café is to die for. I'll go out of my way to get some, even if it isn't decaf :laugh:

I have to drink decaf coffee because of my throat problems, which limits me a bit, but I can get Lavazza coffee and some particularly nice Colombian coffee which are decaf. Some of the other decaf ones are pretty awful. I still drink the occasional cup of ordinary coffee (when I'm out or visiting friends). There is a park where I take the dog - it's seven miles away - and their coffee in their café is to die for. I'll go out of my way to get some, even if it isn't decaf :laugh:
I just googled for fun even though granddad has been gone for over 30 years and you can still pretty much only get that coffee on the Gulf Coast or order it online.

I have only seen 3 people drink it. My granddad, his brother-in-law and my husband.
We had gone to visit the brother-in-law. As soon as my husband said he would drink a cup with the brother-in-law and then liked it, we were immediately given a full can of coffee.

What kind of coffee is that, @Cinisajoy? Back when our kids were young (early 1980s), hubby had a couple of business trips to New Orleans. He came home raving about the beignets and coffee at the Café Du Monde. Flash forward to 2000, when the kids were off to college and we were off to Massachusetts. What do I spy at the small grocery store at the bottom of our neighborhood? Cans of "Café Du Monde" coffee!

I still haven't tried making beignets. One of these days...

What kind of coffee is that, @Cinisajoy? Back when our kids were young (early 1980s), hubby had a couple of business trips to New Orleans. He came home raving about the beignets and coffee at the Café Du Monde. Flash forward to 2000, when the kids were off to college and we were off to Massachusetts. What do I spy at the small grocery store at the bottom of our neighborhood? Cans of "Café Du Monde" coffee!

I still haven't tried making beignets. One of these days...
The coffee is Seaport. I've never made beignets either.

Back
Top Bottom