Tea

What did you think of it? Its a favourite of rascal.

When it comes to caffeinated beverages, I am definitely a coffee drinker. Tea does seem to have more caffeine and I find upon drinking it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, some unease in the gut. I definitely needed to down those oats.

I drank this first try for Earl Grey straight with no sweeteners or milk. Perhaps, next time, I will stir in some honey.

I generally drink about 4 to 6 cups of coffee in the morning. I only did 3 cups of tea.

I am a coffee drinker, from a family of coffee drinkers, but I'll drink the occasional cuppa. My wife (who grew up in England) does not drink coffee, so tea is always present in our home. Despite our shared British heritage, Earl Grey is a little lower down on our top 5 ranking, losing ground to varieties of green tea.
  1. Jasmine
  2. Sencha
  3. Oolong
  4. Mint Tea (the odd one out on this list, as it doesn't really contain "tea" leaves)
  5. Earl Gray/Assam (tie)
  6. Darjeeling
I hear tea is good for you, but I just can't seem to give up my morning coffee ritual 😅

When it comes to caffeinated beverages, I am definitely a coffee drinker. Tea does seem to have more caffeine and I find upon drinking it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, some unease in the gut. I definitely needed to down those oats.

I drank this first try for Earl Grey straight with no sweeteners or milk. Perhaps, next time, I will stir in some honey.

I generally drink about 4 to 6 cups of coffee in the morning. I only did 3 cups of tea.

Wrong way round. Brewed tea has far less caffeine than coffee:

As a rule of thumb, coffee has about twice as much caffeine as tea. Caffeine levels vary a lot, though, in both beverages. More specifically a cup of:
  • coffee has between 95 and 200 milligrams of caffeine
  • black tea has between 14 and 70 milligrams of caffeine
  • green tea has between 24 and 45 milligrams of caffeine
  • white tea has between 6 and 60 milligrams of caffeine

If you are drinking 4 -6 cups of coffee in the morning that is one hell of amount of caffeine (to me). I'd be jittering all over the place with that!

Wrong way round. Brewed tea has far less caffeine than coffee:

If you are drinking 4 -6 cups of coffee in the morning that is one hell of amount of caffeine (to me). I'd be jittering all over the place with that!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe different coffee formulations have different amounts of caffeine, with espresso being the strongest.

My tea drinking has lessened considerably in the last couple of years. I drank it straight through from waking up to bedtime, 18-20 mugs a day.

Now I'm at two in the morning, my elevenses, then one around 3PM, then another at bedtime, and from 3PM onwards, they're decaf.

Black tea (the standard "English breakfast") is nearly always half-n-half added. I also like spiced black teas, especially at the holidays, and those get a little sugar to bring out the spice.

I love Earl Grey as well, and I have a couple of specialty blends of that (like with lavender or vanilla). Those are sometimes drunk plain, or with lemon, or sugar, or a little half-n-half, or all of the above.

I've had the pleasure of witnessing Brits fight it out over whether you should put any dairy in Earl Grey (because of the bergamot oil) twice - once in person and once online. Both times, IMO, the dairy positive faction won the day. :laugh:

Right now I'm not drinking a lot of tea, because I avoid caffeine due to healthy benefits. In the past I enjoyed aromated turkish and indian blends the most, with added spices et cetera and ice tea. Besides of that I like the chinese and japanese tradition of tea, but I'm not a fan of their taste buds.

What I like about matcha is how much it can be used in the bakery, two years ago we tried out matcha macarons with matcha in the cookie and in the cream.
Stay healthy

I went from about 12 to 15 cups of granulated coffee to 1 cup of earl in the morning. Sugar and full milk. A big improvement to me. Very occasionally if I make a cup of tea for butcher I will do another cup for me. He loves English breakfast which my wife bought especially for him. And he expects biscuits as well. Or cake if we have some. :)

Russ

My nearly-proppa-cuppa routine:

1. Tea stuff...ASSEMBLE!

That's loose-leaf English breakfast tea (don't know from where), half-n-half, a 2-cup measure, and a 2-cup teapot. The measure and the pot have been warmed with just hot tap water.

2. Apply the water and wait:

That's near-boiling water from the Keurig (out of shot) and my improvised cozy to keep in the heat while it steeps for four minutes.

3. Strain into the pot:

4. Pour into an appropriate mug:

5. Apply half-n-half and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom