Tea

MrsT's tea routine:

1. Two PG Tips pyramid teabags into a 5-cup Mr. Coffee automatic drip coffeemaker

2. Wait 5-10 minutes (I don't actually know) while it brews:

3. Into an appropriate mug:

4. Add half-n-half and enjoy!

This morning, I tried sencha tea for the first time (outside of a Japanese restaurant).

full.jpg

Sencha tea has a very mild and agreeable taste and flavor. It is unadulterated with any oils or spices. I used raw sencha tea which is rough cut leaves. The leaves are long and thin.

I went Japanese with this and used my recently acquired Japanese tea set.

full.jpg

Note the strainer in this set. Sencha tea is available in tea bags, if preferred that way. The rough sencha tea could have been brewed in a coffee maker, I suppose.

full.jpg

Not sure how I missed this thread, as I consume up to 9 mugs of tea day. A habit I grew up with, being raised bilingual by my parents and our many British friends who lived with us at times. I also lived in England for a while, and that certainly fortified the habit. However, I don't drink my tea like most Brits I know of. I drink it 'weak' without milk or sugar. That aside, my favorites are:

1) Darjeeling, preferably Twinings or loose leaf tea. I'm currently drinking this every morning.

2) For a real strong wake up cuppa, I like the Assam variety.

3) Smoked lapsang souchon . A very aromatic green tea.
4) Chinese gunpowder based mint tea, as you get served in Morroco and the Arab world. It's very sweet.
5) Lady grey, because it's a little more gentle than Earl grey.

This morning, I made matcha tea.

full.jpg

Making traditional Japanese ceremonial matcha tea takes a little bit of work.

First, you need to get set up.

JapaneseMatchaTea01.jpg

Then, you need to sift the tea. That strainer is used for this purpose and it is necessary to prevent the tea from clumping in the water. I used about 2 teaspoons of matcha powder for about 1 half cup of hot water. I started with 1/2 cup to prevent splashing out of the bowl when whisking.

JapaneseMatchaTea02.jpg

Then, you add the hot water and whisk the tea in to form a froth on top. It turns out to be more difficult than it sounds. The whisking must be done in rapid zig-zag or back and forth strokes. It should not be stirred around. I didn't get the froth effect desired, on my first try.

JapaneseMatchaTea03.jpg

Finally, you get to drink the tea.

JapaneseMatchaTea04.jpg

My day is not normal unless I have two mugs of tea to start with. My favourite brew is something called Mamri Tea, from Assam, which I buy on an Indian Grocery website. I´m not a fan of teabags, although will use them at a pinch. When I can get hold of it, I buy some Lapsang Souchong and mix a tsp in with the Assam. When in the UK, Yorkshire Tea is what hits the spot - a proper mug of builder´s tea!
Can´t say I´m a great fan of China teas, but it may just be that I haven´t got to know them properly.

Iced Honey Lemon Earl Grey Tea

full.jpg

I brewed hot, 4 tea bags with 5 cups of water in my coffee machine to get a rich dark brew. Then I poured it off into a sealable plastic bowl and added 3 tablespoons of honey, stirred till dissolved and then, added 2 tblspns. of lemon juice. I let this chill to room temperature and then refrigerated it over night.

In the morning, I filled a glass with ice cubes and poured in the tea mix from the bowl.

Resurrecting an old thread, as I’m putting together a tea advent calendar kind of thing for my niece, and so I’ve assembled all my teas:

The only one missing is my daily cuppa, PG Tips, and my niece won’t be getting any of the loose leaf.

Back
Top Bottom