The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:01 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
don-julio-reposado-750__61902.1335388067.jpg

I'm not sure why I like tequila. It doesn't blend as easily as vodka. It doesn't work well for cooking like whiskey, brandy, cognac, and sherry. And, though some like margaritas, it doesn't work in mixed drinks like a good rum.

But, I love the stand-alone quality better than any other liquor. Once I got past thinking that Jose Cuervo was "the good stuff" :sick:, I discovered that there were excellent tequilas that are only slightly more expensive. The following all have excellent reposados, and all cost $29.99 - $32.99:
  • Cazadores
  • Corralejo
  • Hussong
  • Milagro
Note that reposado tequila is the kind you usually do as shots (though Patron has somehow convinced people to pay a premium for shots of their blanco).

For some reason recently, I decided to step up to a more expensive breed of tequila for a few months (I'm cured of that now). These cost twice as much - or more - but are generally almost worth the price:
  • Avion - the smoothest tequila you will ever have
  • Don Julio - Rich and solid, like the oak tree used to make the barrels they were aged in (you taste it in every drop)
  • Milagro especial - smooth, but with rich character. Maybe the best tequila available in the States.

Final thoughts before I let the rest of you start talking: to me, the only way to do a shot properly is as follows:
  1. Cut a wedge of lime.
  2. touch the flesh of that lime wedge to the fleshy part of your hand (the opposite from the one holding the shot glass).
  3. Sprinkle sea salt or something similar on the area you just touched.
  4. Lick the sea salt from your hand.
  5. Down the shot in a single gulp.
  6. Suck the lime wedge.
That last step is often overlooked: a ripe lime wedge can make a good tequila taste like a very good one. But, an unripe lime is worse than no lime at all.

It doesn't work well for cooking like whiskey, brandy, cognac, and sherry.

Strangely enough I was thinking about lime recipes and remembered Tequila Lime Chicken which I made years ago. I've not posted the recipe on the forum before so I think that may be my first entry!

I think there are lots of ways to use Tequila in cooking although you are probably right that it isn't as versatile as the other drinks you mention.

I used to only drink Tequila a few years ago. I love the Don Julio brand. In my opinion The Anejo" version is a ton better. Smoother, with more flavor.

1. Get a bourbon glass
2. Pour a double
3. Sip it

8811043061790.png

Strangely enough I was thinking about lime recipes and remembered Tequila Lime Chicken which I made years ago. I've not posted the recipe on the forum before so I think that may be my first entry!

I think there are lots of ways to use Tequila in cooking although you are probably right that it isn't as versatile as the other drinks you mention.

We love tequila lime chicken and make it every now and again. Tequila lime shrimp is pretty darn good too!

Back
Top Bottom