Testing for Covid19

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
6:03 AM
[Mod. Edit: Please note that it is not currently possible to be tested unless you are taken to hospital with suspected Coronavirus. Alleged 'test kits' available on line are fake and consequently dangerous]

Several of you are feeling ill. Others have loved ones who do not feel well. At what point will you get tested?
A double edged sword.
Side one
You are all conscientious, thoughtful people who do not want to stess an over burdened system. At what price? Are you putting yourself at greater risk by not being tested?
Side two
If you or a loved one does have a mild case of Covid19 and recovers without testing or medical attention the statistics become screwed. Add in the people walking around with Covid19 who are completely asymptomatic. Merrily on their way spreading the virus wherever they go.
SO - at what point will you get tested?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not up to us. There is a huge shortage of test kits, so they are being rationed. I was in the hospital last week, and they tested me for 17 different viruses, but not Covid-19. Why not? I did not meet the criteria to get that test.

CD

Ciao,
As all know Ray been in hospital with it so I know I got I still no feel sick but I stay inside. As CD say no enough kit are available, UK Government say they buy as many as can but I think never enough. I think many dark day in front of us.
Sarana x

You are all conscientious, thoughtful people who do not want to stess an over burdened system. At what price? Are you putting yourself at greater risk by not being tested?

Tests are not available in the UK unless you are taken to hospital with suspected Coronavirus. The government is trying to obtain enough tests for front line health workers, but it is very unlikely that a home test will be available for everyone in the near future. Also, there is not much point in doing a home test unless you are going to stay completely isolated if the test is negative. Any outside contact could mean you could test positive the next day. You would need to be testing yourself every day.

In some ways it is more useful for a test for antibodies (immunity) to be developed and made available. This would free up people to care for the elderly and do essential work. I think the government here is trying to roll that out.

Here (and I think the guidelines are the same across the US, because it's coming from the CDC), the procedure is that if you feel sick, you have to call your regular physician, describe your symptoms, and if they feel it necessary, they'll get you tested by referring you to your nearest testing site.

They're also saying that there are three things that'll get the attention of your doc:

1. High fever that doesn't break after a while
2. Severe shortness of breath
3. Severe coughing

Those will get you tested right now and possibly earn you a spot in the hospital.

In my city and other metropolitan cities in the state drive through testing is available. Medical personnel review the symptoms, take each person's temperature and do a test swab for regular flu. If there are symptoms and the flu test is negative then a Covid19 test will be done. The average volume of traffic has been 100+/- per day. Fewer than half are tested for Covid19. If symptoms are severe they are referred to the ER, if mild they are sent home and instructed to quarantine completely NO outside contact .
Last week my niece was in the hospital - not virus related. She was placed on the oncology floor because no infectious patients are ever put on that floor. Nurses told my sister that there were numerous patients with Covid19 who were not included in the case count because the official test results were taking so long to process. When the media reports X number of cases in the state those numbers are skewed. There are more cases than reported because of the slow turn around of test results.

Back
Top Bottom