Recipe Tex Mex Seasoning Mix

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
12:04 AM
Louisiana shares a border with Texas - the Sabine River. Inevitably recipes and cooking styles migrate from state to state. I am not a huge fan of Tex Mex cooking. There are only a few Tex Mex dishes that I make at home - nachos, tacos, dips and Chiles Rellenos. We both love Chiles Rellanos.
With few exceptions I generally do not care for pre mixed seasonings. I decided to make my own Tex Mex seasoning mix.
INGREDIENTS
2 TBSP Smoked Paprika
2 TBSP Ground Ancho Chili
1 Tsp. Ground Mustard
2 TBSP Ground Coriander
1 Tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
2 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Garlic Powder (NOT Garlic Salt)
2 TBSP Dried Oregano - crushed in your palm
I did not include salt because I like to control my salt based on the dish. Always add salt to taste.
Store in a tightly sealed jar in your pantry - Label with the date - 6 month shelf life.

I generally use the following ...

- Ancho chili powder - 3 parts
- Paprika (sweet or smoked) - 1 part
- Cayenne pepper flakes - 1/2 part
- Cilantro (Corriander) - 1/2 part

I do not include molido items such as cumin, garlic powder, mustard or oregano. If I want these items in a recipe, I add them separately. Molidos are ground items.

By keeping a Tex-Mex spice mix very basic to just the four spices listed above is much more flexible.

Non-molido items like habanero pepper, serrano pepper or jalapeno pepper, tomato, real garlic cloves and so forth, are certainly added separately, as well as things like adobos and other sauce pastes.

Last edited:
Your spice mix sounds great ElizabethB . Craig used to always make his on the fly as he was cooking.

Both of you should try harissa. It can be dry or wet. We like this harissa paste. Used to make a recipe on the same site, butternut squash spiralized noodles with harissa cashew cream and crispy roasted Brussel sprout leaves. We need to make this again, been a long time.

Louisiana shares a border with Texas - the Sabine River. Inevitably recipes and cooking styles migrate from state to state. I am not a huge fan of Tex Mex cooking. There are only a few Tex Mex dishes that I make at home - nachos, tacos, dips and Chiles Rellenos. We both love Chiles Rellanos.
With few exceptions I generally do not care for pre mixed seasonings. I decided to make my own Tex Mex seasoning mix.
INGREDIENTS
2 TBSP Smoked Paprika
2 TBSP Ground Ancho Chili
1 Tsp. Ground Mustard
2 TBSP Ground Coriander
1 Tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
2 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Garlic Powder (NOT Garlic Salt)
2 TBSP Dried Oregano - crushed in your palm
I did not include salt because I like to control my salt based on the dish. Always add salt to taste.
Store in a tightly sealed jar in your pantry - Label with the date - 6 month shelf life.

I assume that this is basically a taco mix? I rarely use one, just individual seasonings. I have a mix I made a while back, the ingredients look about the same from what I recall, except for the mustard. I tend to go light with cumin/comino, but that is a personal preference.

Let us know what you use it to make.

CD

Your spice mix sounds great ElizabethB . Craig used to always make his on the fly as he was cooking.

Both of you should try harissa. It can be dry or wet. We like this harissa paste. Used to make a recipe on the same site, butternut squash spiralized noodles with harissa cashew cream and crispy roasted Brussel sprout leaves. We need to make this again, been a long time.

Harissa is among three Mex/Spanish pastes I might use, the others being Adobo and Mole.

Adobo pastes can be brown or green.

Harissa is among three Mex/Spanish pastes I might use, the others being Adobo and Mole.

Adobo pastes can be brown or green.
Harissa was a North African, Persian, Arabic invention. They just used the peppers brought in due to Spanish occupation. The word harissa is actually based on the Arabic verb, harasa, meaning to pound.

Back
Top Bottom