Texan Wine

Do the wines come with a free Stetson?
Interesting article, although for my personal taste profile, neither Sangiovese nor Tempranillo hit the spot. Italian-wise I´d prefer a Bardolino or Barolo; Tempranillo I find a bit to acidic.

Texas is not a wine powerhouse, by any means, but there are some good Texas wines out there. I photographed and art directed a Texas wine article about ten-ish years ago. I drove around the Texas Hill Country, taking tours and photos, drinking wine and eating BBQ. Yeah, that sucked, LOL. :drink:

The Hill Country was settled by German immigrants, so many of the wines from that area are German varieties. My ex-wife and I bought them regularly to have with fruit and cheese plates.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.06.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.07.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.07.25 PM.jpg

CD

Texas is not a wine powerhouse, by any means, but there are some good Texas wines out there. I photographed and art directed a Texas wine article about ten-ish years ago. I drove around the Texas Hill Country, taking tours and photos, drinking wine and eating BBQ. Yeah, that sucked, LOL. :drink:

The Hill Country was settled by German immigrants, so many of the wines from that area are German varieties. My ex-wife and I bought them regularly to have with fruit and cheese plates.

View attachment 79465

View attachment 79466

View attachment 79467

CD
I’d love to check this out in the future. It was cool seeing this because my aunt and uncle live in Spicewood and I’ve been there myself many times. I have some really good childhood memories hanging out there while visiting, setting off fireworks over the lake where they live etc. Good stuff!

I’d love to check this out in the future. It was cool seeing this because my aunt and uncle live in Spicewood and I’ve been there myself many times. I have some really good childhood memories hanging out there while visiting, setting off fireworks over the lake where they live etc. Good stuff!

Yeah, Spicewood is in a Texas wine area. Also a good Texas BBQ area. Go a little South to Dripping Springs, and there is a good Vodka distillery that offers tours. It is also not far from Fredricksbugh, which has great food, antique and crafts shops, and a few wineries. Go to that area around the first few weeks in April, and you can see an abundance of wildflowers in bloom, including the state flower, bluebonnets. Just don't pick any bluebonnets, that is illegal.

The Texas Hill Country is the best part of Texas, for lots of reasons.

CD

Yeah, Spicewood is in a Texas wine area. Also a good Texas BBQ area. Go a little South to Dripping Springs, and there is a good Vodka distillery that offers tours. It is also not far from Fredricksbugh, which has great food, antique and crafts shops, and a few wineries. Go to that area around the first few weeks in April, and you can see an abundance of wildflowers in bloom, including the state flower, bluebonnets. Just don't pick any bluebonnets, that is illegal.

The Texas Hill Country is the best part of Texas, for lots of reasons.

CD
Very cool, thank you!

Very cool, thank you!

I used to lead a Bluebonnets and Barbecue tour every year in April for car clubs when I worked for Texas Driver Magazine. We basically drove fast, stopped and took pictures of wildflowers, and ate at a different BBQ joint three meals a day. Everyone loved it. If you go back to Spicewood, go in early April to see the wildflowers, and check out the Texas Monthly magazine web site, and look at their Top 50 BBQ joints list. It is a good list.

CD

Back
Top Bottom