Recipe Texas Smoked Brisket Burger

caseydog

Local time
9:06 PM
Texas Smoked Brisket Burger

BrisketBurger001.jpg

I made this burger to share a little bit of Texas food culture with the forum. Very simple, but also experimental. I really didn't know if it would taste like real Texas BBQ brisket. Results? Not 100-percent, but really close.

Again, this recipe is for one burger. Multiply the ingredients for more burgers.

Ingredients

6 oz ground brisket patty
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Plain white burger bun (no artisan bread allowed with Texas brisket)
BBQ Sauce
Sliced sweet onion (to taste)
3 Sliced dill pickles

Beef

The centerpiece of Texas BBQ is beef brisket. If you can't get it, use beef chuck. Grind it yourself, if possible. I used a food processor to get a rough grind. Go for at least 80/20 lean to fat ratio. Mine was probably closer to 70/30. Cooking low and slow, a lot of that fat will render, leaving you a very juicy burger. The only acceptable seasonings for traditional Texas BBQ brisket is salt and pepper -- AKA: Dalmatian rub.

IMG_1424.JPG

To do this burger right, you'll need to cook it on the smoker/grill/BBQ, low and slow, with charcoal for heat, and either hickory or oak for smoke.

IMG_1428.JPG

Note: I made two patties. One was a test patty. I wanted to taste the meat by itself before assembling the burger.

Bread

Texas BBQ brisket is served with cheap, supermarket bread. So, I used a cheap, supermarket roll -- toasted.

Sauce

Sauce is optional with Texas BBQ brisket. I tried the test patty with and without sauce, and liked it better with the sauce. I used Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce form a bottle, because it is just as good as any sauce I have ever made myself.

Toppings

Two staples of Texas BBQ are sliced sweet onions, and sliced dill pickles. So, that's what I used on my burger.

CD

I'll bet that's delicious. I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the recipe title as I couldn't see how brisket, which needs long cooking could work in a burger. But then I saw that it is cooked low and slow. I'm thinking that the smoky taste will be really pronounced because of that too. Approximately how long does it take would you say?

I'll bet that's delicious. I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the recipe title as I couldn't see how brisket, which needs long cooking could work in a burger. But then I saw that it is cooked low and slow. I'm thinking that the smoky taste will be really pronounced because of that too. Approximately how long does it take would you say?

A whole brisket can take up to 16 hours to smoke. These burgers took less than two hours at about 250-275F. Ground meats soak up a lot of smoke, so you have to be careful. I smoke meatloaf all the time. That takes about an hour at 300-350F, then a rest where carryover heat finishes the meatloaf.

The ground brisket had a lot of fat in it, which rendered and kept the meat moist and tender. On it's own, the burger patty had a really smokey bark (crust), but a normal bite with bark and center meat was just right. Add the bun, sauce and toppings, and it was very well balanced.

As I mentioned, I made a test patty because this was an experimental burger. I really didn't know if it would work until it was done.

CD

Texas Smoked Brisket Burger

View attachment 60983

I made this burger to share a little bit of Texas food culture with the forum. Very simple, but also experimental. I really didn't know if it would taste like real Texas BBQ brisket. Results? Not 100-percent, but really close.

Again, this recipe is for one burger. Multiply the ingredients for more burgers.

Ingredients

6 oz ground brisket patty
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Plain white burger bun (no artisan bread allowed with Texas brisket)
BBQ Sauce
Sliced sweet onion (to taste)
3 Sliced dill pickles

Beef

The centerpiece of Texas BBQ is beef brisket. If you can't get it, use beef chuck. Grind it yourself, if possible. I used a food processor to get a rough grind. Go for at least 80/20 lean to fat ratio. Mine was probably closer to 70/30. Cooking low and slow, a lot of that fat will render, leaving you a very juicy burger. The only acceptable seasonings for traditional Texas BBQ brisket is salt and pepper -- AKA: Dalmatian rub.

View attachment 60980

To do this burger right, you'll need to cook it on the smoker/grill/BBQ, low and slow, with charcoal for heat, and either hickory or oak for smoke.

View attachment 60981

Note: I made two patties. One was a test patty. I wanted to taste the meat by itself before assembling the burger.

Bread

Texas BBQ brisket is served with cheap, supermarket bread. So, I used a cheap, supermarket roll -- toasted.

Sauce

Sauce is optional with Texas BBQ brisket. I tried the test patty with and without sauce, and liked it better with the sauce. I used Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce form a bottle, because it is just as good as any sauce I have ever made myself.

Toppings

Two staples of Texas BBQ are sliced sweet onions, and sliced dill pickles. So, that's what I used on my burger.

CD
Our son is loving his Weber, I must ask him about doing burgers out his place sometime. I'm saving your tips. Looks good for first attempt.

Russ

I used Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce form a bottle, because it is just as good as any sauce I have ever made myself.

This is great to know. I have gotten this BBQ sauce, and I've been really happy with it. But, for such an awesome burger, I'd prefer to keep it clear of anything other than the bare minimum toppings. I'd want to taste that incredible patty.

I also agree that toasting the bun is mandatory. I am reminded of this after picking up burgers from Five Guys this weekend. Phenomenal patty, but the soggy bun is a letdown (I toasted the bun after I got home so I could enjoy it properly).

I completely forgot to mention that the sweet onions were Texas 1015 onions, pickles were BestMaid brand -- made in Texas. I don't know for sure where the buns were baked, but bread is usually baked pretty close to where they are sold, so they were almost certainly baked in Texas -- probably in Dallas.

Stubb's BBQ Sauce is a Texas brand, but now owned by mega-corporation, McCormick. But, the Stubb's brand is still based in Austin, Texas.

I'm not saying any of this to brag. I just wanted to share some Texas food heritage and history with this brisket burger, and use all-Texas products.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.47.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.41.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.51.22 PM.png

CD

Back
Top Bottom