Thanksgiving Dishes: the good & the bad

Technically, yes, but sweet potatoes are frequently labeled yams here (especially when canned, and also depending on the dish), so the two terms are used interchangeably.

Note if I had said "candied sweet potatoes," someone else would have asked, "Do you mean candied yams?" :)

Technically, yams and sweet potatoes are not the same, but I don't know why. My family makes candied sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving -- with the traditional mini-marshmallows (I have no idea where that tradition came from).

CD

I've only just come across this dish. I find the basic concept of fresh green beans with creamy mushrooms unappealing in the first place, let alone using canned soup. But it intrigues me - I might just try to make this dish and attempt an upmarket version. Any tips?

I have seen recipes for green bean casserole made from scratch, and I would love to try it some Thanksgiving, but that would offend my sister, who always makes the Campbell's soup version.

The basic concept is solid, but would be much better with fresh ingredients cooked from scratch. You should give it a try, MG.

CD

Last edited:
In the Murican South, stuffing is called dressing, and often made with cornbread. It is usually not cooked inside the turkey. I LOVE IT! But, I don't call the shots on turkey day.

I'm not a fan of cranberries, in any form. So I guess that is my "worst" selection.

CD

In the Murican South, stuffing is called dressing, and often made with cornbread. It is usually not cooked inside the turkey. I LOVE IT! But, I don't call the shots on turkey day.

I'm not a fan of cranberries, in any form. So I guess that is my "worst" selection.

CD

Always called what is placed inside the bird stuffing and dressing is cooked outside the bird.

I like a different twist on green bean casserole. Onions, garlic, stewed tomatoes, red pepper flakes to taste, fresh green beans and salt to taste. Everything in the pool together and cooked until the beans are done to your liking.

Worst -
The sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows. Much too sweet. That is why I make my savory sweet casserole.
Ambrosia - especially the one made with caned fruit (fruit cocktail)
Canned cranberries. Baby Brother makes a fresh cranberry sauce that is delicious.

The best -
Drunk Pork Roast - a bone-in pork shoulder roast, braised in red wine. I made it for my family probably 15 years ago. It is a required contribution to both our Thanksgiving and Christmas family gatherings
Oil less "fried" Turkey - not really fried - cooked in an infrared cooker. Tender, juicy meat with crisp skin
Rice Dressing or Cornbread dressing - stuffing cooked outside of the bird. My favorite is oyster rice dressing.

The best and the worst

Casseroles - necessary when feeding our mob. Wonderful when made with fresh ingredients and real cheese. Not so wonderful when made with canned and processed ingredients.

The best of the best - all of the wonderful deserts spread our to nibble on all afternoon after dinner.

morning glory - I will be making a green bean and corn casserole soon. The original recipe calls canned beans, corn and cream of celery soup. I plan to use fresh frozen veggies. I have not made up my mind about the cream of celery soup. I know I can replicate the flavor just not sure about the thickness of the condensed soup., I will post the recipe.

Technically, yams and sweet potatoes are not the same, but I don't know why. My family makes candied sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving -- with the traditional mini-marshmallows (I have no idea where that tradition came from).

CD
Yams are quite dry. We used to buy them in Brixton market so they were as fresh as they possibly could be. Sweet potatoes should be moist and slightly sweet. For years I always thought they were the same so missed out on sweet potatoes until quite recently.

My favorite is oyster rice dressing.

Does this involve oysters? I'm puzzling...
I will be making a green bean and corn casserole soon. The original recipe calls canned beans, corn and cream of celery soup. I plan to use fresh frozen veggies. I have not made up my mind about the cream of celery soup. I know I can replicate the flavor just not sure about the thickness of the condensed soup., I will post the recipe.

I think the thickness in 'creamy' canned soups is simply lots of flour or cornflour (corn starch) and milk. I'll look out for the recipe.

Just to add to the yam/sweet potato confusion:

According to the internet (which is never wrong, except about those special pills I bought...), American grocers used to have access to just one kind of sweet potato (and no yams). Then, farmers started growing a second kind of sweet potato that proved popular, and so to distinguish between the two, grocers began labeling the newcomer as yams, since no one was using that word here.

Just to add to the yam/sweet potato confusion:

According to the internet (which is never wrong, except about those special pills I bought...), American grocers used to have access to just one kind of sweet potato (and no yams). Then, farmers started growing a second kind of sweet potato that proved popular, and so to distinguish between the two, grocers began labeling the newcomer as yams, since no one was using that word here.
There is an explanation here Where Do Yams Come From? The shops and market stalls selling yams in Brixton were all African.

Back
Top Bottom