Thanksgiving Meal 2020

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:24 AM
Ok, for those who prepare a Thanksgiving meal, let everyone know what's on the menu plan for this year, please. I'll start:

Roast turkey, which will be brined overnight, and I'll also loosen the skin and smear herb butter between the skin and the flesh.

Bread Stuffing/Dressing - I guess it's dressing, because it'll be done outside the bird. Just a traditional bread version, nothing weird.

Scalloped Potatoes & Creamed Corn - I listed these together because they're both done in the slow cooker, and it'll make good use of my divided insert, so I can do them at the same time, and keep the oven free.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes - savory, not sweet.

Maple-Cranberry Relish

Pumpkin Pie W/ Crunchy Pecan Topping & Buttermilk Sauce

And some kind of bread/rolls, of course.

Now I've got to get to work on the cooking sequence.

I have NO idea what I'll be doing. COVID, you see, has disrupted our plans - but I'll check and see. Tasty, your meal sounds great though I will skip anything with pecans, and the breadrolls. I did brine my turkey one year, and while it was more tender it was too salty even to share with the cats.

I LUV cheesy scalloped potatoes.

I will do what we call "Practice Thanksgiving" the second Saturday of November. Prepare the meal for friends, just another excuse to party and eat.😀😀

Manhattens
Vodka Martinis
Oreo Milkshake for the non-drinker

Appetizers TBD

Jack Daniels brined turkey
Mashed Taters
Stuffing
Dressing
Corn casserole
Roasted root veggies
Condensed Milk bread - never made it before, going to give it a trial run

Pineapple upside down cake
Pumpkin pie

Actual Turkey Day Dinner is TBD if I am cooking or another family member.

Also, due to Covid, only two other couples. With such a small group, we have enough room not to be on top of one another.

Last edited:
I am not sure what is happening this Thanksgiving.

1) some local friends may have a very distanced dinner. In which case I will supplement with something containing root veggies in some form or another.

2) one friend and I may get together and cook. She's already talking about her stuffing with bread and dried fruit and nuts - which frankly I have absolutely no desire to eat - sounds too much like fruitcake to me. I miss my Mom's savory stuffing.

3) I end up eating alone, sharing some turkey with the cat.

If I eat alone, I will make:

Roasted turkey thigh, seasoning to be decided (but Backbays Jack Daniel's brine is giving me thought here...)
Cranberry stuffed delicata squash
Mashed potatoes with butter and cheese, a dash of nutmeg too.
I will try once again to go through the cooking file I inherited from my parents to see if I can find Mom's savory stuffing, which of course will be a side dish rather than actually stuffed into said thigh...
Perhaps that String Bean and mushroom casserole, topped with home-dehydrated onions. Yes, I'd make the mushroom part without resorting to the canned mushroom soup stuff. Gotta have something green.

No dessert.

Yes, there would be lots of leftovers, but Thanksgiving is supposed to have those!

I might try making a Cosmopolitan (or two).

Thanksgiving at the Parent's house...

Turkey, no brining, no seasoning, into one of those roasting bags, and into the oven until the little red "done" button pops. So, it will be overcooked. I bought my dad a pricy remote thermometer, but he trusts the cheap plastic pop-up thing more. :rolleyes: (the first thing my dad will do to the finished turkey is pull all the golden brown skin off, and throw it away)

Bread stuffing, in the bird, no seasoning.

Mashed potatoes. No butter, no seasoning, just milk (skim).

Green bean casserole, 100 percent from cans. Canned green beans. Canned cream of mushroom soup, canned fried onions.

Candied sweet potatoes from a can, with mini-marshmallows.

Cranberry suace/jelly, from a can, served in its can shape.

My mom or sister bakes pumpkin pies with frozen pie crusts, and canned pumpkin pie filling. Reddi-whip whipped cream to top.

CD

Is a similar meal eaten on Christmas Day in the US? It is very similar to what we would eat in the UK:
Turkey or goose
Stuffing made with breadcrumbs, fresh herbs, dried fruit, occasionally sausagemeat
Bread sauce, made with milk flavoured with a clove studded onion
Pigs in blankets
Mashed potato
Sprouts with chestnuts
Red cabbage
Carrots
Peas
Gravy made from the meat juices.

Is a similar meal eaten on Christmas Day in the US? It is very similar to what we would eat in the UK:
Turkey or goose
Stuffing made with breadcrumbs, fresh herbs, dried fruit, occasionally sausagemeat
Bread sauce, made with milk flavoured with a clove studded onion
Pigs in blankets
Mashed potato
Sprouts with chestnuts
Red cabbage
Carrots
Peas
Gravy made from the meat juices.

Stuffing/dressing is very different in different regions in the US. In the North, dried white bread stuffing is more common, while in the South, cornbread dressing is more common. I love cornbread dressing, but there is no way my family is going to allow that at Thanksgiving.

CD

I cooked this Turkey for Thanks Giving 2003 in Miami Dade, the American Greeks who came brought all there accompaniments so it was not traditional apart from the turkey, gravy and mash. I wasn't there to put the sprouts on in July so we subbed roast vegetables in the traditional foil tin.
1604391021537.png
1604391039961.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom