The 1970s - heaven or hell?

Power cuts, three day weeks, bread shortages.
Queueing outside a shop at 8 in the morning, hoping they'd actually get a delivery that day.
As one of five, we were able to cover the local shops.

I remember that. My son was tiny, and with the power cuts, it was hard to do the washing and keep the baby's milk warm for the times I needed it.

Power cuts, three day weeks, bread shortages.
Queueing outside a shop at 8 in the morning, hoping they'd actually get a delivery that day.
As one of five, we were able to cover the local shops.
Power cuts and bread shortages - as a percentage of a decade [10 years] how long was the power off ? Bread shortage - again I don't really remember anyone starving and for how long did it last anyway [in fact most of the trouble was caused by 'panic buying' and people 'stocking up' for an emergency that never actually happened]. Three day week - maybe, for a short while, but at least there was a job to go to, now an increasing number of people don't have that option anymore.
I remember the green shield stamps but what about the cigarette coupons - now THERE was an idea :eek: - you could get all sorts if you lived long enough.

Boil in the bag fish dinners. I remember them way too well. I think there were 2 flavours (in our household anyway, white sauce with herbs in it and a. n. other...) Yuck

Sliced banana and live yoghurt also entered our household during that time (shudders)

The hi fibre diet... (mother's latest diet fad...)

Rice salad - my favourite of the health food craze (could have been very early 80s)
Whats wrong with live yoghurt @SatNavSaysStraightOn ?

We did a seventies party a few years ago at work and it was a success of an event ,with big hair flares and loud shirts ,and food from the time
So people's memories are not all bad ,I have a poster from it in my man cave ,I will have to photograph it

We did a seventies party a few years ago at work and it was a success of an event ,with big hair flares and loud shirts ,and food from the time
So people's memories are not all bad ,I have a poster from it in my man cave ,I will have to photograph it
It was very mixed as far as food (and fashion) was concerned! There are many good recipes from the 70's (think Elizabeth David). But also many over-decorative and frankly weird concoctions. I used to love flared trousers. They were very flattering if you were a woman with er.. larger hips! I'd love to see the menu for your 70's themed party if you can remember.

Liebfraumilch kept its identity into the naughties,not just a 70s icon,I can remember drinking cases of the stuff on exercise in Norway ,and was known as leap frog

I wasn't a vegetarian in my school days, but I'm pretty sure that certain school dinners pointed me in that direction. Spam fritters, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom