The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

Shrimp Creole

43806-sfs-shrimp-creole-for-two-28.jpg

I knew I'd miss R overnight! I was going to add Red-Eye Gravy as an accompaniment to those grits posted earlier.

Oh, and my family and relatives (Ohio and Kentucky) do say pee-can. The alternate pronunciations (pah-KAHN, or stranger still, pee-kahn/pee-KAHN) sound...idk...a little too posh to us.

It's all good, though. To keep the peace, we just say, "I think I'll have some of this...pie right here!" :)

Oh, and my family and relatives (Ohio and Kentucky) do say pee-can. The alternate pronunciations (pah-KAHN, or stranger still, pee-kahn/pee-KAHN) sound...idk...a little too posh to us.

It's all good, though. To keep the peace, we just say, "I think I'll have some of this...pie right here!" :)

That seems to be a northern thing, which just shows how much them damn Yankees know!! LOL I'm from Kentucky, but my family was of the Southern persuasion rather than Northern.

That seems to be a northern thing, which just shows how much them damn Yankees know!! LOL I'm from Kentucky, but my family was of the Southern persuasion rather than Northern.
I'm the first generation of my family born in Ohio. All my family before me are from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia.

I've lived on both coasts and on the midwest, and the furthest south I've ever lived was Maryland. I say pee-KAHN most of the time, but sometimes pee-CAN comes out.

Local dialects - and blending of different dialects - is the culprit here. My wife (who's lived in Michigan her whole life) tells me that I'm saying "pajamas" wrong when I say "pa-JOM-ahs" instead of "pa-JAM-ahs".

Last edited:
Local dialects - and blending of different dialects - is the culprit here.

Exactly. My wife is as "Yankee" as they come, and she and her family say "pah-KAHN," and that the pronunciation I hear the most, like on TV or when I'm traveling, and when I'm visiting family in Kentucky, that's definitely considered the "Yankee" way to say it. I'll sometimes say it to tease someone, and they'll shake their head and say, "Boy, you've lived in O-hi-o too long, you're a Yankee!" :laugh:

When I was a kid and we'd go back home, we always had to stop at Stuckey's and get my great-grandmom a pecan log. The first thing she'd say when we walked in the door was, "Boy, did you get me my pee-can log from the Stuckey's?!" :)

I generally don't get too uptight over things like that. There are definitely words that sound "wrong" to me (Appa-LAY-sha versus Appa-LATCH-cha), but as long as the meaning gets across, I don't really care.

As long as I can sit down in a diner and say pee-can or pah-kahn or that super-sweet pie made with nuts and get a piece of pecan pie, it's all good. :okay:

I got around that by sleeping in the "pajamas" Nature gave me. :cool::oops:

Reminds me of a thread a while back about wearing 'clothes' in bed. It turned out that most older members wore nature's pyjamas and the younger ones wore clothes of various kinds: pyjamas, nighties etc. Go figure...

Maybe I should post a similar thread again?

Back
Top Bottom