The best Lasagne recipe

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
7:40 AM
I hesitated to put this here as it’s hardly in the healthy and nutritious category but then again it does involve pasta! 😁

I’m not really interested in the authenticity argument. Tbh I get a bit tired of the laying claim to a definitive version at the cost of variation or innovation so whatever version you like is good here, no judgement!

I would really like to know, what’s your favourite lasagne recipe or favourite type of lasagne?

For Felicity Cloakes version of “the perfect lasagne” and some ramblings on different peoples versions follow the link 👍

How to cook perfect lasagne

I don't think we've got a "perfect Felicity Lasagna", because there's no real recipe in this house; we just seem to make the same thing. I fully understand Felicity's desire for perfection, but sometimes, she manages to convert a shovel into a wooden-shafted steel plate with a handle attached, if you get my meaning.
Ours (my wife's a dab hand at lasagna) is 3 main bits: packet lasagna (and we usually cook the pasta first, because the "oven-ready" often ends up dry), meat sauce and a thinnish bechamel with a bit of mozz in it. Topped with grated parmesan.
Meat sauce is minced beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes (usually tinned) olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, basil.
A bit of oil on the bottom of the pyrex to stop the lasagna burning; layer of lasagna, meat sauce (don't overdo it) a dribble of bechamel (again, don't overdo it), and repeat until the last layer, which is lasagna topped with bechamel and sprinkled with parmesan.
Wife makes a luxury version with crepes instead of lasagna sheets.
I'm actually rather fond of a vegetarian version, with layers of ricotta&spinach, then aubergine/onion/garlic/tomato/fresh herbs.View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793

This is my DH's favorite.

Recipe - Meaty cheesy lasagne

I also recently made a take on Carmela's lasagna from the Soprano's TV show cookbook. I haven't posted the recipe here as I was going to make some tweaks as noted in posts 576 and 578 with the picture here. I'll post if you are interested.
Wow that is a decadent cheese recipe, defo need a glass of wine to go with that! I definitely like the generosity of the ingredients list.

I don't think we've got a "perfect Felicity Lasagna", because there's no real recipe in this house; we just seem to make the same thing. I fully understand Felicity's desire for perfection, but sometimes, she manages to convert a shovel into a wooden-shafted steel plate with a handle attached, if you get my meaning.
Ours (my wife's a dab hand at lasagna) is 3 main bits: packet lasagna (and we usually cook the pasta first, because the "oven-ready" often ends up dry), meat sauce and a thinnish bechamel with a bit of mozz in it. Topped with grated parmesan.
Meat sauce is minced beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes (usually tinned) olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, basil.
A bit of oil on the bottom of the pyrex to stop the lasagna burning; layer of lasagna, meat sauce (don't overdo it) a dribble of bechamel (again, don't overdo it), and repeat until the last layer, which is lasagna topped with bechamel and sprinkled with parmesan.
Wife makes a luxury version with crepes instead of lasagna sheets.
I'm actually rather fond of a vegetarian version, with layers of ricotta&spinach, then aubergine/onion/garlic/tomato/fresh herbs.View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793View attachment 107793
I like her trying all the variations and compiling how she found them even if I do often look at her final version and think no thanks 😆

How do the crepes compare?

How do the crepes compare?
They're delicious, delicate and definitely a party dish, if you've got the patience to make 3,954 crepes...
The original recipe comes from a small town near Rome, where there's no meat sauce... the lasagna is filled with tiny (I mean, about the size of ball bearings) meatballs.

They're delicious, delicate and definitely a party dish, if you've got the patience to make 3,954 crepes...
The original recipe comes from a small town near Rome, where there's no meat sauce... the lasagna is filled with tiny (I mean, about the size of ball bearings) meatballs.

Sounds great.
I know crepes are generally a very basic recipe but I’d be interested to know the one you use for your lasagne?
Being a coeliac means I’m often tangling with the substandard gluten free sheets and tbh it often puts me off making it!

Funny you bring this up SandwichShortOfAPicnic I just made Lasagna last week.
I hadn't made it probably over a year, maybe even 2 year ago.
I wing it, I don't follow a recipe, I just layer -
Meaty Marinara, which consists of jarred sauce and browned meat, either ground beef or mild Italian Sausage, which ever I have ready to go. I don't bother any longer making my own marinara when I can buy a jar from Trader Joe's for around $3 ( a 28oz. can of San Marzano Tomatoes, whic is what I used previously, here in Cowboyville is almost $6) - oh btw, I usually use 3 full jars of the stuff.
A full box of Lasagna Noodles, usually Barilla Brand, cooked per the box, 8 minutes I believe - drained and carefully layered out on a sheet pan and sprayed with Olive Oil to prevent stickage (and yes, this is a word)
Collect as many pans you feel suited for the job
IMG_3394.JPG

and layer: a thin layer on the bottom of the pan of Meaty Sauce
a layer of Noodles
a thin layer of whole Milk Ricotta
a goodly spread of Meaty Sauce
a good sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese
herbs of your choice
a layer of grated Mozzarella Cheese
and repeat until the pan is near full (you don't want the Lasagna over flowing, but then that's why I put a sheet pan underneath)
In most case, I keep my kitchen shears on hand if the noodles are too long for said pan
The last layer is as shown to the right above
If we're eating a pan tonight, I simply cover tightly in tin foil and bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, when the sauce starts to bubble and then remove the tin foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and there's loads of bubble from the sauce
IMG_3404.JPG

It never comes out exactly the same, but close and TASTY!! I have two more pans of this goodness in my deep freeze for later.

Meaty Marinara, which consists of jarred sauce and browned meat, either ground beef or mild Italian Sausage, which ever I have ready to go. I don't bother any longer making my own marinara when I can buy a jar from Trader Joe's for around $3 ( a 28oz. can of San Marzano Tomatoes, whic is what I used previously, here in Cowboyville is almost $6) - oh btw, I usually use 3 full jars of the stuff.
A full box of Lasagna Noodles, usually Barilla Brand, cooked per the box, 8 minutes I believe - drained and carefully layered out on a sheet pan and sprayed with Olive Oil to prevent stickage (and yes, this is a word)
View attachment 107811
a layer of Noodles
herbs of your choice
and repeat until the pan is near full (you don't want the Lasagna over flowing, but then that's why I put a sheet pan underneath)
In most case, I keep my kitchen shears on hand if the noodles are too long for said pan
If we're eating a pan tonight, I simply cover tightly in tin foil and bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, when the sauce starts to bubble and then remove the tin foil and continue to bake until the cheese is brown and there's loads of bubble from the sauce
View attachment 107812
It never comes out exactly the same, but close and TASTY!! I have two more pans of this goodness in my deep freeze for later.
I too like a wipe of oil to prevent stickage 😆

I find Barilla gluten free is also the best gluten free pasta you can get.

I do struggle to switch the word noodle to the British versions quickly enough not to have images of egg or rice noodles with lasagne filling swirling around it 😂

View attachment 107811
a layer of Noodles
herbs of your choice
View attachment 107812

That's a lot like my lasagna. My layers are pretty much the same. I do still make my own sauce from canned San Marzano tomatoes. And, a layer of sauce on the bottom is essential to prevent burning of the pasta.

CD

Back
Top Bottom