The best seasonings for cod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I specified in my original post, I'm intending to cook the cod without oil. I'm also intending to cook it in the microwave; sautéing is beyond my abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
You had me til parsley sauce, my mum used to shove tripe n parsley sauce down my throat at least once a week. Until I got brave enough to say no.

I would find it odd to eat (un-battered) fish without parsley sauce. Although I would draw the line at tripe.

[Mod. Edit: This thread has veered off topic. The OP asked for a simple seasoning to sprinkle on cod fillet]

As I specified in my original post, I'm intending to cook the cod without oil. I'm also intending to cook it in the microwave; sautéing is beyond my abilities.

Microwave is fine for cooking fish. The only danger is overcooking it. Here is what I suggest:
  • Sprinkle your Italian seasoning and/or Old Bay seasoning over the top of the cod fillet
  • Place it in a microwaveable container with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
  • Cook on high for 2 minutes. Let it stand for a further minute.
  • The flesh should appear white and opaque and the cod will flake apart when tested with a fork.
  • If the cod doesn't appear cooked microwave for a further minute.
And if anyone wishes to debate the merits or otherwise of microwaving fish please do not add to this thread - start a new thread!

[Mod. Edit: This thread has veered off topic. The OP asked for a simple seasoning to sprinkle on cod fillet]

Microwave is fine for cooking fish. The only danger is overcooking it. Here is what I suggest:
  • Sprinkle your Italian seasoning and/or Old Bay seasoning over the top of the cod fillet
  • Place it in a microwaveable container with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap.
  • Cook on high for 2 minutes. Let it stand for a further minute.
  • The flesh should appear white and opaque and the cod will flake apart when tested with a fork.
  • If the cod doesn't appear cooked microwave for a further minute.
And if anyone wishes to debate the merits or otherwise of microwaving fish please do not add to this thread - start a new thread!

Thank you for getting back to the original point, and for forestalling argument about cooking in the microwave!

Some people cook cod with lemon juice; could lemon juice be substituted for water in the method you described, or would that be too much lemon? How about something milder, like white wine vinegar? Or will that neutralize too much of the spiciness of my spicy Old Bay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people cook cod with lemon juice; could lemon juice be substituted for water in the method you described, or would that be too much lemon? How about something milder, like white wine vinegar? Or will that neutralize too much of the spiciness of my spicy Old Bay?

Yes - lemon juice is fine. Sprinkle a little juice on the cod before adding seasonings. Then use a tablespoon mixed with the water to cook.

Methinks you had better get on with cooking that cod as it will be getting past its sell by date! :)

[Mod.Edit: Please note this thread is now closed to further replies as the original poster's questions have been answered].

Please start a new thread if you have a related topic to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom