The best seasonings for cod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agave maybe?

Regardless of how honey is produced, it is one of the cleanest and naturally long lasting foods there is. It is a natural antiseptic and is used in wound care by the medical profession. It's also a complex sugar and better for you than refined cane, beet or corn sugars.

Just FYI, the FDA allows a certain number of parts per million insect parts in processed food, so in all probability you are eating insects anyway...

Agave is really expensive; how about Log Cabin?

Bees collect nectar inside their filthy insect bodies, and then spew it back out, and walk around on it with their filthy insect legs… I'm just not going there, LOL!

If you even have to ask that, I just don't know what to say. :facepalm:

Maybe you could start with why one kind of sweet syrupy product is ok and another is not? "Maple" syrup is the only sweet thing I have available in the house, we don't even use jam or jelly.

Agave is really expensive; how about Log Cabin?

Bees collect nectar inside their filthy insect bodies, and then spew it back out, and walk around on it with their filthy insect legs… I'm just not going there, LOL!
Log Cabin is just flavored corn syrup. It's not really good for much, even for its intended purpose. :)

As to the filthy bees...I sure hope you don't like figs. If you do, don't go read about them. :)

Log Cabin is just flavored corn syrup. It's not really good for much, even for its intended purpose. :)

As to the filthy bees...I sure hope you don't like figs. If you do, don't go read about them. :)
Is there any reason why Log Cabin couldn't be substituted for honey in a recipe? I don't mean that you don't like it or don't use it, I mean is there some actual physical reason why flavored corn syrup could not be substituted for agave syrup, or honey, or unflavored corn syrup, in a recipe?

Figs are mushy and slimy! :yuck:

Is there any reason why Log Cabin couldn't be substituted for honey in a recipe? I don't mean that you don't like it or don't use it, I mean is there some actual physical reason why flavored corn syrup could not be substituted for agave syrup, or honey, or unflavored corn syrup, in a recipe?

Figs are mushy and slimy! :yuck:
I'm not a food scientist by any means, or even a food nerd, but the main reason I wouldn't do that is flavored corn syrup (like Log Cabin) uses artificial flavoring that, to me anyway, is very noticeable. Will it make a glaze? Sure. Will you want to eat it? That's the question.

I did find one website that talked about honey substitutes and it did say corn syrup by itself (so not Log Cabin) does make a passable substitute in baking, but did specify that it wasn't a good choice for glazes or marinades, to use pure maple syrup (and I would add sorghum) for that, though it didn't explain why.

Here's the thing: you're not going to know until you try it. You may find that Log Cabin on a piece of cod is the bee's (filthy) knees :))), and if you like it, that's all that counts. Cooking for yourself means you'll sometimes make a dud while on a quest for something really delicious.

Go for it! :)

I'm not a food scientist by any means, or even a food nerd, but the main reason I wouldn't do that is flavored corn syrup (like Log Cabin) uses artificial flavoring that, to me anyway, is very noticeable. Will it make a glaze? Sure. Will you want to eat it? That's the question.

I did find one website that talked about honey substitutes and it did say corn syrup by itself (so not Log Cabin) does make a passable substitute in baking, but did specify that it wasn't a good choice for glazes or marinades, to use pure maple syrup (and I would add sorghum) for that, though it didn't explain why.

Here's the thing: you're not going to know until you try it. You may find that Log Cabin on a piece of cod is the bee's (filthy) knees :))), and if you like it, that's all that counts. Cooking for yourself means you'll sometimes make a dud while on a quest for something really delicious.

Go for it! :)

I did some research, and there are recipes both where cod is glazed with maple syrup, by which they might mean the genuine stuff, and with corn syrup, so apparently both maple flavor and a corn syrup glaze work with fish... both of which are combined in Log Cabin, which fortunately I'm unable to text any artificial flavors in. I might get ambitious eventually and try a maple-pecan crust… but not quite yet, when I've never cooked ANY kind of fish dish.

For the record, if a bee has knees, they ARE filthy… have you ever seen a bee taking a bath?

Maybe you could start with why one kind of sweet syrupy product is ok and another is not? "Maple" syrup is the only sweet thing I have available in the house, we don't even use jam or jelly.

Log Cabin is NOT maple syrup. It is maple flavored corn syrup. If you taste no difference between Log Cabin and real maple syrup, now I don't know what to say. Cheaper brands of honey are honey flavored corn syrup. Read labels.

Cod is a simple protein. Just season it lightly with your Italian Seasoning, and sauté it in a small amount of Olive Oil until it is just firm, but not too firm. Another thing best done with your fingers. Quick, easy, tasty.

CD

If I do not batter cod (and haddock), I like to pan fry it in garlic infused olive oil (after seasoning with salt and black pepper).

I would then add parsley sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom