The Cookbook Game #7

cookieee

Local time
5:28 AM
Welcome to The Cookbook Game #7 10/30/19

What is the game all about and how do we play it?

The game is all about your cookbooks. If you are like me, you have cookbooks that have just been sitting on the shelves and haven't been opened in years. What a waste. This game is designed to change that.

First, count how many cookbooks you have. For each game, I will pick a number and that will be the cookbook you will be using for that game. If you don't have that # of cookbooks, count over till you reach that number. Or, if you wish, continue to count from where you left off the last time you played. Then post what cookbook you will be using and tell us something about that book, if you want to. Then pick a recipe to make. The recipe should be one you haven't made before. Post the recipe in full as a new thread, tag it the cookbook game #7 and place a link back to it in this thread. Please include the title of the cookbook and the date of publication.

If, in the course of making the recipe, you find you need to make minor adjustments to get it to work (for example, increasing the cooking time to ensure the dish is properly cooked through, for health and safety reasons) then please explain what you did and why, in the recipe review. Otherwise, please make the recipe as written.

1. Cookbook #42 (thanks M.C.)

and/or

2. Author's last name starting with 'A' (thanks SatNav.)

and/or

3. Country (or similar) in the title - 'Mexico/Mexican' (thanks M.G.)

The new deadline for entries is midday Wednesday 20th November (GMT)

Happy Cooking!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My cookbooks are currently stacked up in very unbalanced piles on my dining room table, in a very muddled order 😱 as we're having work done under the stairs where the cookbooks were living. The numbering has gone out the window but I've definitely got Mexican cookbooks, just not sure if 'Mexican' is in the title. (One is called 'Death by Buritto') lol.
I must take part in this game!

My cookbooks are currently stacked up in very unbalanced piles on my dining room table, in a very muddled order 😱 as we're having work done under the stairs where the cookbooks were living. The numbering has gone out the window but I've definitely got Mexican cookbooks, just not sure if 'Mexican' is in the title. (One is called 'Death by Buritto') lol.
I must take part in this game!
Hi jojo, sorry I haven't replied to your post in game 6 yet. Been busy here with paper work trying to keep the games organized. lol I sure was glad to hear from you. How you doing? I remember the last time we had workers in the house. We need some more work done, just can't bring myself to go through that again. Good Luck!!!! Oh, If none of your books say Mexican/Mexico, I'll accept the buritto one. ok? (DH would spank me if I didn't, he loves Mexican food. lol)

So far, I have found 2 books that we can use for this game.
1. Hot Links and Country Flavors-Sausages in American Regional Cooking by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly-pub. 1990
2. Complete Book of Pork-A Guide to Buying, Storing, and Cooking the World's Favorite Meat -Bruce Aidells with Lisa Weiss-pub. 2004

I'll keep on looking

Found #42 - It might come in handy some day for the "country" category. lol It's "The Exotic Kitchens of Malaysia" by Copeland Marks - pub. 1997 I don't think I have ever used this book beforel

Can't find any books with Mexican/Mexico in the title.

Last edited:
The 42nd book (from the last one I used): Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks, 2nd Ed. by Hieatt, Hosington and Butler.

My sole Mexican book: The Cuisines of Mexico, by Diana Kennedy.

Authors whose last names begin with A: (I don't know if this is definitive, but so far I see the following...)
Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen, by Elizabeth Andoh​
American Harvest: Regional Recipes for the Vegetarian Kitchen, by Nava Atlas.​
Silk Road Vegetarian: Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free Recipes for the Mindful Cook, by Dahlia Abraham-Klein​

I have a few more cookbooks where author names are not on the spine, but I think the above is sufficient for me to choose from.

The 42nd book (from the last one I used): Pleyn Delit: Medieval Cookery for Modern Cooks, 2nd Ed. by Hieatt, Hosington and Butler.

My sole Mexican book: The Cuisines of Mexico, by Diana Kennedy.

Authors whose last names begin with A: (I don't know if this is definitive, but so far I see the following...)
Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen, by Elizabeth Andoh
American Harvest: Regional Recipes for the Vegetarian Kitchen, by Nava Atlas.
Silk Road Vegetarian: Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free Recipes for the Mindful Cook, by Dahlia Abraham-Klein

I have a few more cookbooks where author names are not on the spine, but I think the above is sufficient for me to choose from.
A very nice variety of books there. You don't mention, but have you used any of them before? I've heard of Diana Kennedy's book.

A very nice variety of books there. You don't mention, but have you used any of them before? I've heard of Diana Kennedy's book.

I have used the Japanese book and the Silk Road Vegetarian book before. I have eaten food people made from the medieval cook book but have not cooked from it, myself.

Hi jojo, sorry I haven't replied to your post in game 6 yet. Been busy here with paper work trying to keep the games organized. lol I sure was glad to hear from you. How you doing? I remember the last time we had workers in the house. We need some more work done, just can't bring myself to go through that again. Good Luck!!!! Oh, If none of your books say Mexican/Mexico, I'll accept the buritto one. ok? (DH would spank me if I didn't, he loves Mexican food. lol)

Yes all good here thanks, just don't know where the last two weeks have gone!? Crazy!

Oh that might be very helpful thanks, I can't find my other Mexican books, amongst the mess 🙈 They've got to be here somewhere .... I'll have a better look tomorrow, and for authors A too

Still debating my cookbook. I'll be at the supermarket Sunday, so I'll decide by Saturday night. Interesting things (that are also do-able) in all five books. Do-able considering some ingredients are hard to come by here - but I do have a stock of some of those.

I'm leaning towards the Medieval cookery book - basically because it could get really amusingly self-referential in cooking - the authors took medieval recipes, and adapted to today (or the late 70's). And I'd be taking their late 70's recipe and possibly having to make changes to what I have available here - or reviewing what I'd rather do differently should I be able to follow the modern recipe pretty much exactly. They do print the medieval recipe word for word (yes, if I sit back and allow my eyes to go lazy, I can actually understand much of the Chaucer-style Olde English). Using the actual medieval recipes however - it is seldom that anything resembling a quantity is ever given, so I will indeed go with the modern interpretation/cookbook recipe for whatever I choose. I'd post both variants when I cook...

I could also lean towards Silk Road Vegetarian - since if SatNav is picking a recipe from it, could be interesting which one I might pick as well. Plus, one reason I really like this cookbook is because the best vegetarian recipes come from cultures that have a good long history of wholly or largely vegetarian meals.

Last edited:
So far, I have found 2 books that we can use for this game.
1. Hot Links and Country Flavors-Sausages in American Regional Cooking by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly-pub. 1990
2. Complete Book of Pork-A Guide to Buying, Storing, and Cooking the World's Favorite Meat -Bruce Aidells with Lisa Weiss-pub. 2004

I'll keep on looking

Found #42 - It might come in handy some day for the "country" category. lol It's "The Exotic Kitchens of Malaysia" by Copeland Marks - pub. 1997 I don't think I have ever used this book beforel

Can't find any books with Mexican/Mexico in the title.
Help!!!! DH has around 4 or 5 recipes marked in the "Malaysia" cookbook. Remember, he's the one that likes hot foods. :pepper:

Can we start a new game tomorrow?:whistling::laugh:

I could also lean towards Silk Road Vegetarian - since if SatNav is picking a recipe from it, could be interesting which one I might pick as well. Plus, one reason I really like this cookbook is because the best vegetarian recipes come from cultures that have a good long history of wholly or largely vegetarian meals.
I was indeed looking at one of 3 recipes from it.
  • Sweet-Savoury Chickpea Curry (p104 already vegan)
  • Mushroom Curry (p109 and vegan)
  • Bulgarian Stuffed Onions (p124 and vegan)
Mine appears to be a 1st Edition (c) 2014 (paperback)

Back
Top Bottom