The Cookbook Game #7

There seems to be a little confusion on how to play this game. It is really very simple and easy.
  1. Count your cookbooks
  2. Pick a cookbook to use
  3. Pick a recipe to make
  4. Make your recipe - as written
  5. Write up and review the recipe in its own (new) recipe thread including the cookbook as reference (as per normal)
  6. Post what cookbook you used/and review of cookbook on the game thread
  7. Post a link to your recipe thread on the game thread
  8. And finally post (a copy of) your review of your recipe on the game thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a rather small and rather old Sainsbury Cookbook book titled 'Cooking thre Mexican Way' by Lourdes Nichols. Published 1983. I've no idea yet whether the recipes therein have any authenticity but I'll do my best to create something interesting. I haven't chosen which recipe as yet.

rather small and rather old Sainsbury Cookbook book titled 'Cooking thre Mexican Way' by Lourdes Nichols.
I remember those. Hardback cookbooks. Tall and tin. All identical but on different themes. My parents had so many of them. The only ones ever used were the cakes ones which I used for making birthday cakes for my birthday and sister. I made so many of those over the years, the train, the stables, a rugby pitch,... they set me up for making my final 'masterpiece', 'The Mask' straight off the front over of the video we hired just so I could get hold of something to copy. Then I drove from Woking to Stoke On Trent with it on the backseat of the car hoping it would stay put and that I'd not need to jam the brakes on for an emergency stop :eek:

I remember those. Hardback cookbooks. Tall and tin. All identical but on different themes.

This one isn't hardback tall & thin - its paperback. But I do have quite a set of those hardback ones you are talking about. They are really rather good. Most I've picked up second hand for next to nothing although technically I'm old enough to have bought them new when I was 30 something!

Failed to shop Sunday. Found out that morning that one of my long term best friends ever had passed away. She'd been my roomie Junior year in college. She and I both have talked at least weekly for the past five or six years about our homesteading aspirations (via Skype and phone, since she lives out west). Currently Colorado.

I really hope that, if reincarnation exists, she can come back and be able to realize her dream(s).

I will be out shopping today.

Failed to shop Sunday. Found out that morning that one of my long term best friends ever had passed away. She'd been my roomie Junior year in college. She and I both have talked at least weekly for the past five or six years about our homesteading aspirations (via Skype and phone, since she lives out west). Currently Colorado.

I really hope that, if reincarnation exists, she can come back and be able to realize her dream(s).

I will be out shopping today.
I'm so sorry to hear that.

Don't worry too much if you can't make it. There will be another round and this round always stays open so you can always make it afterwards if needed.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Don't worry too much if you can't make it. There will be another round and this round always stays open so you can always make it afterwards if needed.

Thanks, SatNav and Morning Glory....

I did buy the food - needed to go into town for the sympathy card anyway, and it's not like a hop, skip and jump. Cooking should help take my mind off some of this -- although the last few days I was just catching stuff from the fridge.

Would anyone mind if we run an extra day or two on this one? I didn't get time to cook today so haven't made the mushroom curry I had planned.

And I'm guessing Mountain Cat wouldn't mind an extra day or two to write up her recipe?

Plus we need a number and a letter for the last name to start with for the next round, or have I missed that choice?

I don't mind an extension as I'm currently away from home until next week and going out and about so not cooking so much. Shall we extend until Saturday 16th November?

Mushroom Cumin Salad - Silk Road Vegetarian

mushroom cumin served-.jpg

Thoughts on the recipe: Excellent and simple. Flavors are awesome, but however, when I make this again, I'd place this once it is chilled on a bed of lettuce - perhaps Romaine, or mixed red and green leaf, or a bit of Boston (depending on mood). Boston, ATM my first choice, would add some crunch without adding additional flavor - unless, of course, you'd love that. This recipe is definitely a SIDE. Those two servings actually became my lunch. I will be making this again, with the lettuce. (Photo here is for how I actually created this dish this first time, as requested.)

I notice that the request for 1 pound (US) mushroom OR 500 grams (metric) mushrooms are in this recipe. The metric system would have me adding more into this dish -- So, yeah, I went seriously metric on the mushrooms! (As noted above, this recipe is cooked in half, but I still went seriously metric on them...)

PS, my kitchen seriously smells wonderfully Cumin-Like!

Thoughts on this book: This is indeed one of my favorite vegetarian cooking resources. I have used a couple of the curries in here as a jumping off point for my own vegetarian cooking (although I never on my own keep to exact quantities).

I was drawn into buying this book because I really love good vegetarian and vegan cooking, especially when it comes from cultures that have a long-standing appreciation of cooking real foods of these types. The Silk Road, as those who remember their history lessons, is the ancient trading route from areas of Asia through the Middle East, into parts of eastern/south-eastern Europe, and into northern Africa.

Although the print is growing rather small for my old eyes (dunno how THAT happens!) this is a great book to keep to hand. I'm considering what I might make from this next gathering here where I have several vegetarians and one omnivorous but lactose-intolerant individual on my guest list. Being that the recipes are gluten-free also expands my horizons with this cookbook to hand.

####​

This is from Dahlia Abraham-Klein's book, Silk Road Vegetarian: Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten-Free Recipes for the Mindful Cook. Page 89. All recipes are vegetarian and apparently gluten-free - a few do contain dairy (which can probably be sourced animal-rennet-free). This recipe was created as a contribution to the CookingBites Cookbook Game, #7.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom