The Cookery Book Game #9: 'First or Last'

I'm trying to work out where I am up to with adding recipes that I've made for this round and find that I have only added one of my recipes to this list. So I'll try to do it again.
  1. Recipe - Chilled Avocado and Coconut Soup
  2. Recipe - Creamy Sweetcorn Soup with Roasted Red Peppers
  3. Recipe - Pomegranate Yoghurt Rice
  4. Recipe - Khandvi (Chickpea flour pancake rolls)
  5. Recipe - Mango Soup
The avocado and coconut soup came as a very pleasant surprise. And it was definitely one we would have again. It was cooling as well as slightly spicy (first time around) though a little too spicy 2nd time around. I had feared that it would simply be an avacado smoothie, but the vegetable stock and chillies and lemon really prevented that from happening. In both cases, I served it with rice and added in some additional protein to complete the meal.

The creamy sweetcorn soup with roasted red peppers disappointed me. It was much like, well liquid sweetcorn served with roasted red peppers. Until I added twice the quantity of sweetcorn it was exceptionally plain. It is very definitely one for when corn on the cob is at its very best. I'm not certain we will make it again unlike the avacado and coconut soup.

The pomegranate yoghurt rice came as a pleasant surprise and was really nice. It wasn't too spicy or too bland. We've often had pomegranates in with a rice salad and often had just yoghurt as a dressing on potato salad; this is a combination of both plus some spices. Again, we'll have it again quite happily.

The Khandvi, they need some more practice so that they are rolled flatter more consistently. They were easy enough to make and complimented the pomegranate yoghurt rice, but I happen to have a freezer full of (Staffordshire) Oatcakes, so would probably just have those if I was in a rush.

The Mango Soup tastes really nice when I taste tested it whist cooking it today. Exactly what a bowl full of it will taste like served over rice noodles remains to be seen, tomorrow!

And what is probably a case of "finally" for this round of the challenge, Mango Soup, after which the book is named. This was very much a case of "with some trepidation" that we tried this. After all sweet, spicy, yoghurt creamy and soup are not combinations that we are accustomed to. Mango and chillies, mango and mustard seeds, mango and curry leaves... you get the idea. The original version of the recipe from the book states to use 'sweetened mango pulp' from a tin. That wasn't happening for a variety of reasons including the words "tin" and "sweetened", but also including the fact that I happened to have some frozen mango pieces in the deep freeze.

The white balance is slightly off in the photo. There's no green tinge, just yellow. The pulverised green chillies don't really colour the soup at all.

So what does it taste like? It is slightly mango sweet, it was spicy from the green chillies and the chilli powder, we could taste the curry leaves when they cropped up and the recipe could easily handle a few more on our opinion. It was creamy from the soya yoghurt of which I did mix in a tad more because it was a touch too spicy hot (I used both chillies and my green chillies are very hot you same reason). And it worked. I suspect it is rather like the pineapple on pizza decision!

Woohoo my first challenge entry. It's an older book but a friend bought it for me for Xmas so it's the latest to my collection

IMG20200119204734.jpg

Tonight I made Calamari (fingers crossed I linked the recipe ok)

IMG20200119205146.jpg

Tonight I made Calamari (fingers crossed I linked the recipe ok)
We also have a feature on this site where you can simply put the actual address in, nothing more and once you press reply, the system will go off and find the title for that page (and not just on CookingBites) and actually convert your address into a hyperlink with that title in it. So this

Screenshot_20200120-070532_Opera.jpg

Becomes this Recipe - Pan fried squid with lemons & pangranetto automatically. If you want it called Calamari though you'd either have to do what you did or call the recipe Calamari.

We also have a feature on this site where you can simply put the actual address in, nothing more and once you press reply, the system will go off and find the title for that page (and not just on CookingBites) and actually convert your address into a hyperlink with that title in it. So this

View attachment 36869

Becomes this Recipe - Pan fried squid with lemons & pangranetto automatically. If you want it called Calamari though you'd either have to do what you did or call the recipe Calamari.

Thanks for the tip SNSSO

Recipe - Gingered Pineapple

This is from the cookbook I've had the longest, "Betty Crocker's Cookbook," from the 1986 edition. I described the cookbook earlier in this topic.

This is another easy recipe, very sweet and satisfying, with a definite dinner party vibe, as the presentation is quite nice as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided not to use that Madhur Jaffrey book (First still extant cookbook here) - none of the recipes I've not made either interest me or feel authentic enough - and I've deviated from the dal and raita recipes she includes enough over the years that even if I were to jump the rules and cook something therein I'd made before - those wouldn't be it.

I won't have a new copy of my original first book in time - so we will do that LAST book to enter my house.

I'll post what I'm going to cook soon, and will shop for the ingredients Monday when I hit the supermarket. Unless by absolute chance I have them here. The recipes in Christopher Kimball's Milk Street 2107 are largely awesome, but organization leaves a lot to be desired. But I guess this happens when one re-packages a year's worth of magazines into one binder.

I've been in a brain fog. However I am as I type, making the recipe for this challenge. As long as the current ice storm doesn't shut down power or internet, you really WILL get my recipe today. It is giving my kitchen a great aroma atm. There's the scent of cinnamon in the air.

Its OK - this challenge runs until 15th Feb. I'm planning to do another recipe next week.

Its OK - this challenge runs until 15th Feb. I'm planning to do another recipe next week.

Good! Maybe I can get a recipe from my first book also made between now and then. (I found a copy of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook on e-Bay - it just arrived a day or two ago).

Back
Top Bottom