The Cooking Bites Time Machine

Duck59

Guru
Local time
5:25 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
Yes, well, it's not perfect because it doesn't go into the future, although you are allowed to return to the present after your visit to the past. What time would you choose to go back to? Is there a single event you would want to see or be present at?

For my part, there are a few sporting events I'd like to see. For example, I would have liked to see Jesse Owens winning all those gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I'd have loved to have watched Don Bradman bat. I'd have liked to see Newcastle winning an FA Cup final because that's never going to happen again in my lifetime.

There are plenty of other things I'd like to see, like the early days of the railways, but I don't want to bore you for too long.

Can't I go into the future? I'd prefer that...
A dangerous one - you may not. As for me I have several - to see how the pyramids were REALLY built - To see the dinosaurs [dangerous but amazing] and finally to see if there WAS anybody on the grassy knoll [tricky one this - anybody staring would cause lots of other people to stare and you might change history !]. There are lots more but it does mean a lot of care, it would be so easy to change everything

I'd like to be a part of Lewis and Clark's "Corps of Discovery" from 1804 to 1806 when the group travelled by boat, horse, and foot West from St Louis to the Pacific ocean at the Columbia River Gorge.

I'm not that experienced on a horse, but I've made dozens and dozens of trips in my canoe, and have backpacked thousands of miles in my life, carrying all the gear needed to survive.

I would have liked to see Jesse Owens winning all those gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
I assume this time machine doesn't operate if you try to change history, so no noble ideas of visiting Germany a bit earlier to stop Hitler's rise to power. But, seeing the look on his face when Jesse Owens dominated his events would have been priceless.

In a slight alteration of history (hopefully this is allowed), my first visit would be to Halloween weekend, 1993. My friend had tickets to see Nirvana, and I turned him down because I had decided to go to a stupid costume party. I told him that I'd go next time they came to town...and, of course, that was the last time. So, if I could, I'd skip the party and go to the show instead.

I'd also have loved to have seen Jimi Hendrix at the London Polytechnic with Cream in 1966. This was just before he really exploded onto the music scene, so I could tell people, "This guy is going to change the world of music forever." Plus, seeing Cream would have been pretty awesome, too.

I'd also have loved to have seen Jimi Hendrix at the London Polytechnic with Cream in 1966. This was just before he really exploded onto the music scene, so I could tell people, "This guy is going to change the world of music forever." Plus, seeing Cream would have been pretty awesome, too.

Saw Cream! And Jimi - but later.

so no noble ideas of visiting Germany a bit earlier to stop Hitler's rise to power
But would that not in itself be a disaster ? Remember mankind advanced 50 years in five + all the advances in metallurgy - space travel [and all its spin offs including satellites thus GPS and telecommunications ] + medical science and the developments since based on work done [for example in plastic surgery] - electronics - flight etc etc all kick started by the war and all improved on since. The atomic bomb was and is a terrible weapon but atomic research has yielded amazing benefits. History is to be learned from [but very seldom is] but I don't believe it should be changed. Perhaps being transported back invisible and unable to interact but simply to observe might be the safest way

I guess I'm totally accepting of everything that's happened over the course of my life, so I have no real desire to go back and say don't do this... For example, if I hadn't been expelled from the private school I was at, at the end of my lower sixth year (half way through my A levels) and this failing my A levels totally, I wouldn't have had to get a university place through clearing and 3 important things would not have happened to me.
  • The first is that I found out the hard way at A level, not at university, that life wasn't handed to me on a plate and I actually had to work to obtain what I wanted in life. My friends found out at uni, resulting in me being the only one in my year graduating from university with a first class honours degree, despite many of them being into Oxford or Cambridge.
  • The second was graduating with the highest class honours degree I could!
  • The third and most important was I met my husband to be (now married for 21 years) at the uni I went to through clearing. Had I got my expected A levels I would have been in a completely different part of the country...
So would I go and see anything or do anything. Exploration of less well inhabited countries. I love exploring, I love hiking/mountaineering and walking and used to do all to extremes. I love nature, I would love to have explored before the world became 'known'. Snow and ice are my preferred habitats.

But would that not in itself be a disaster ? Remember mankind advanced 50 years in five + all the advances in metallurgy - space travel [and all its spin offs including satellites thus GPS and telecommunications ] + medical science and the developments since based on work done [for example in plastic surgery] - electronics - flight etc etc all kick started by the war and all improved on since. The atomic bomb was and is a terrible weapon but atomic research has yielded amazing benefits. History is to be learned from [but very seldom is] but I don't believe it should be changed. Perhaps being transported back invisible and unable to interact but simply to observe might be the safest way
You're quite right, straight across the board. Nothing speeds up technological advances like war.

In that case, I'd like to change my answer to be something you mentioned:

Travel back to Dallas, November 22, 1963, and hopefully stop the assassination. If there was a second shooter, I'm taking you back with me @sidevalve. I'd be changing history, but here's why:

Kennedy likely would have won reelection. Maybe we would have stayed out of Vietnam. He also would have continued developing the space program. If the world continued the way that it did, we'd have colonies on Mars by now.

You're quite right, straight across the board. Nothing speeds up technological advances like war.

In that case, I'd like to change my answer to be something you mentioned:

Travel back to Dallas, November 22, 1963, and hopefully stop the assassination. If there was a second shooter, I'm taking you back with me @sidevalve. I'd be changing history, but here's why:

Kennedy likely would have won reelection. Maybe we would have stayed out of Vietnam. He also would have continued developing the space program. If the world continued the way that it did, we'd have colonies on Mars by now.
Good idea BUT still a problem - for example the 'super glues' developed for battlefield wounds would not have been developed or anything based on them since. Further to totaly change the political history of a country [both the USA AND Vietnam - who are now beginning to take great strides forward]. It's just such a huge complicated minefield of 'if's and 'buts'. Better just to observe. A single shout and the Titanic never sank - the world's financial strata are changed forever as a large slice of the business elite and very wealthy survive - then what - good bad ??? Interaction is just too dangerous

A good lesson can be learned by watching the original Star Trek series episode "The City on the Edge of Forever". It could be just your mere presence, even for a split second, that could change history.

I assume this time machine doesn't operate if you try to change history, so no noble ideas of visiting Germany a bit earlier to stop Hitler's rise to power. But, seeing the look on his face when Jesse Owens dominated his events would have been priceless.

In a slight alteration of history (hopefully this is allowed), my first visit would be to Halloween weekend, 1993. My friend had tickets to see Nirvana, and I turned him down because I had decided to go to a stupid costume party. I told him that I'd go next time they came to town...and, of course, that was the last time. So, if I could, I'd skip the party and go to the show instead.

An album with the previously unreleased studio work of Jimi Hendrix came out today. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom