The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

Me neither. But I'm intrigued by the brown roux. Apart from anything else it could be a useful technique to use for other types of dishes.
Indeed.
It seems that you are almost caramelising the butter/oil and flour mixture in that you are effectively burning it to almost burnt but not quite. Something I don't think I have every knowingly done.

I don't think I have every eaten gumbo, let alone made one. I have found a couple of recipes that look interesting.

2 require okra which is hard to obtain
Vegan Gumbo with Okra
Vegan Gumbo
The third doesn't, so it could be a winner. Vegan Gumbo

The third recipe looks okay, with some possible alterations. I assume the beans and cauliflower are there to replace meat, so I can understand that. Not "authentic," but I get it.

I would switch the vegan butter for a vegetable oil with a decent smoke point. And, go 50/50 oil to flour mixture.

Ditch the tomatoes, and don't even think about using liquid smoke. :stop:

CD

Indeed.
It seems that you are almost caramelising the butter/oil and flour mixture in that you are effectively burning it to almost burnt but not quite. Something I don't think I have every knowingly done.

Think of it as "toasting" the flour, not burning it. It should have almost a toasted wheat aroma when done right. If you burn it, you will know it. Ever burned popcorn? Very similar smell.

CD

I have homemade vegan butter so know the ingredients.

These two are my main ones
The second being my preferred one.

I would personally just take recipe number two, and skip everything but the canola oil. Canola oil by itself is a good oil for roux -- that's what I usually use. All those other ingredients for the vegan butter are unnecessary, and could cause burning. Using butter for a roux is more of a French thing, and is suited for lighter a roux. For a dark roux, you should really go with a simple oil and flour mix.

Hopefully ElizabethB will chime in. She has much more experience with cajun cooking than I do.

CD

Hi,
I have a question regarding the challenge:
Is the challenge about specific Cajun/Creole recipes, or any recipe that is base on Gumbo?

Hi,
I have a question regarding the challenge:
Is the challenge about specific Cajun/Creole recipes, or any recipe that is base on Gumbo?

Any kind you like. Its not a competition so there aren't any hard and fast 'rules'. Its just a chance to 'cookalong' and show the results, compare notes, share experience etc.

I think there are West African versions of Gumbo which is something I was looking into.

It is funny that the word "gumbo" is from west Africa and means okra in English. I found a very unconventional gumbo and will be making it today. It has pasta cooked in it. :eek:

It is funny that the word "gumbo" is from west Africa and means okra in English. I found a very unconventional gumbo and will be making it today. It has pasta cooked in it. :eek:

My next door neighbor is from West Africa, and his wife is from Shreveport, Louisiana. I need to bring a bottle over some Sunday afternoon, and ask them about gumbo from both of their backgrounds.

CD

SatNavSaysStraightOn

I do not think any kind of butter would be suitable. You really need the higher smoke point of vegetable oil - Canola is my choice, peanut oil also works. I never use corn oil. Neutral flavor.

You do not almost burn the roux. A properly cooked roux had a rich nutty smell. If you burn the roux toss it. There is no rescuing a burnt roux. You do need a heavy pan, cast iron, ceramic clad cast iron or a copper bottom clad aluminum skillet.
Never turn your back on the roux. In Cajun country only a wooden stirrer is used.

When the roux gets to the color of peanut butter remove from the heat add the onions, bell pepper and celery. Stir, stir, stir. The roux will continue to brown until it reaches the color of chocolate. A trick to add protein is to add hard boiled eggs, peeled and pierced with a tooth pick in several places just deep enough to penetrate the whites. Add to the gumbo about 10 minutes before serving. Since okra is not available do use File.

Do research Leah Chase's Gumbo Z'Herbes. Eliminate the meats and add boiled eggs for protein. Use vegetable stock instead of water for additional flavor.

Have fun and don't burn the roux!!

Johnny's 11' Alligator Gumbo.

36788-albums1121-picture8078.jpg

This recipe comes from "More Swamp Cooking". No roux, has alligator, tomatoes, oysters and shrimp, with penne cooked in the sauce.

Back
Top Bottom