The CookingBites Cookalong: Gumbo

We liked it! Greeny and gumbo both, best of 2 dishes!

I actually ended up roasting and carving the turkey, and I got all the major bones, but didn't take the whole carcass. But, the big score was the roasted turkey skin. Tons of flavor in that. When I get home, I hope to have time to make a leftover turkey and andouille gumbo. I have a big job this coming week, so it is going to be touch-and-go.

CD

We're pretty much done cooking gumbo for a while, as we have portion size bags in the freezer of my gumbo z'herbes and Craig's alligator gumbo. But, an extension is fine to give caseydog a chance to cook his gumbo. That pesky making a living just gets in the way sometimes. :D

Yep, and this particular customer can be a real PITA. He is filthy rich, has at least 300 cars, and pays my price, but he can make anything easy be hard. His car guy and I go back about 15 years, and he is great, so hopefully, I can get back to cooking by next weekend.

CD

We're pretty much done cooking gumbo for a while, as we have portion size bags in the freezer of my gumbo z'herbes and Craig's alligator gumbo. But, an extension is fine to give caseydog a chance to cook his gumbo. That pesky making a living just gets in the way sometimes. :D

Was thinking also Mountain Cat might want extra time. I was also hoping more Brits would have a go at making gumbo... its so good! epicuric - I know you are often busy but this Gumbo thing is amazing...

I'll extend it for 10 days. :okay:

Okay, it looks like I won't get to the gumbo this challenge - had to use the shrimp for something else, since I didn't have the makings for a good seafood stock. And I won't buy farmed shrimp, which is all there is around here. Yes, I could make a chicken gumbo but I've been making/eating a lot of poultry lately - besides, gumbo screams seafood + andouille to my ears and taste buds.

HOWEVER - I do plan to make the roux. I'll find another use for it, and will make a gumbo closer to Mardi Gras season - obviously not to include into this challenge. I had planned this recipe to be in two stages, anyways.

Sadly health and the weather have gotten in the way of me participating and an extension won't help matters much. I'm just in too much pain and have too many medical appointments and an operation next week for me to even manage much other than raiding the freezer!

Back
Top Bottom