Do people get set in their taste as they get older?

but a lot of the older folks especially are set in their ways and tastes.
Realy? What did you say? Older Folks?
My 92-year-old Mother loves Sushi.
She loves stir fried dishes. She is not even close to being set in a culinary style. She loves southern Cajun cooking . She amazes me with her willingness to try new ingredients or cooking techniques.
At 71 years old I am older folks.
I am not even close to being set in my culinary ways.

She loves stir fried dishes. She is not even close to being set in a culinary style. She loves southern Cajun cooking . She amazes me with her willingness to try new ingredients or cooking techniques.
I did not say ALL older folks. If you re-read my post, I wrote:
a lot of the older folks especially are set in their ways and tastes.
You do understand the difference between ALL and SOME, right? And you aren't much older than I am, for the record.

We love in a 55+ community. Your mother is BY FAR the exception. Even in the large, multicultural area we live in, a whole lot of our neighbors give you blank or ewww looks when you mention foods outside the norms they are used to. And I don't mean just American folks, Latin people who rarely eat outside their home country's cuisine, Asian, French Canadians, OMG don't even go there, even American-Italians who rarely eat outside what they are used to.

I'm willing to give almost anything a try.
So did my dad.
It actually got worse when he got dementia/alzheimers. At that point in time he started eating all kind of things he never liked before. And hated things he used to like.
It was very strange for us to see.

I suppose your taste buds age and your memory no longer has any fixed ideas about what you do and don't like.
I know from a stint in elderly care that dishes with more salt and sugar in them always went down faster than other dishes, I assume because the ol' taste buds aren't as sensitive as they used to be 🤷‍♀️

Possibly, although he went from total savoury to an absolute sweet tooth.
Didn't like vegetables & rice anymore, just wanted ice cream, and other sweet stuff, like custard, pies etc.
We just figured if thats what he wants, thats what he will get (he was almost 90 by then)

I think it really depends on the individual person. Some people are always on the hunt for something new, while others just want constant stability.

I'm old, ancient perhaps.
and I'm always up for new recipes!

that said - never been a fan of highly spiced foods . . . so there are things of 'high hot-hotter-hottest chilies that simply don't appeal.
but for example Norm has put me onto various Korean/Asian influences - I just omit the kamikaze hot sauce stuff......

Possibly, although he went from total savoury to an absolute sweet tooth.
Didn't like vegetables & rice anymore, just wanted ice cream, and other sweet stuff, like custard, pies etc.
We just figured if thats what he wants, thats what he will get (he was almost 90 by then)
I agree entirely.
In the hospital when they put very elderly patients on restricted diets unless it was serious I always used to think why do that, they have few pleasures and little time left, give them that slice of cake they want!

Back
Top Bottom