The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Legumes in the pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happen to really like burgers... and a burger isn't necessarily always a burger.

I love burgers, too. MG would have to weigh in here, but I like the idea of a burger challenge, leaving it open to people's ideas of a burger. I may be wrong, but I think most people, all over the world, know the difference between a burger and just a sandwich.

Hopefully more people will toss their opinions in the hat.

CD

Congratulations murphyscreek ! A well deserved win, I thought yours was a winner as soon as I saw it. Very original 😊

As for burgers, I am totally pro burgers as a challenge. My husband says mine are the best he ever had, so I feel kind of obliged to enter if I can.
However, I will only be able to enter if store bought buns are allowed because I am really not in a place where making my own is something I can easily get to.

Congratulations murphyscreek ! A well deserved win, I thought yours was a winner as soon as I saw it. Very original 😊

As for burgers, I am totally pro burgers as a challenge. My husband says mine are the best he ever had, so I feel kind of obliged to enter if I can.
However, I will only be able to enter if store bought buns are allowed because I am really not in a place where making my own is something I can easily get to.
My thinking is store bought buns will absolutely be in the running. It's not a baking competition, it's a recipe challenge using buns.

Congratulations
Congratulations!! Wonderful!
murphyscreek Upon posting it, it really looked stunning! I would have eaten both while cooling down...

PabloLerntKochen Gratuliere!! Es sah so nett aus, und schmeckte bestimmt auch! Looks and taste must have been delicious!

Morning Glory Congratulations!! Your soup looks/sounds absolutely inviting and creamy and tasty! Loved the soup bowl too and how you presented it!

Well done whoever had the first idea about such Challenges, exciting! Loving it.💗🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷
Let us all have a glass of whatever virtually! Cheers.

Last edited:
In my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, we are invited to create a bun-inclusive burger, so we create both parts, the bun and the burger, possibly sides too?
I will give it a go. Embracing the learning with both arms...am not an experienced baker but how will I become one if I don't bake😎😁...

Burger...hm...would vegetarian burgers be accepted?

If not, could do a meat one for my kid, she oh soooo loves burgers...😄

murphyscreek
...edited to make the post visible. As said above, I am fine with a burger. Being just a Mom home cook/learning foodie, I respect all shared opinions and will agree with the final decision, whatever it may be...like in all aspects of life, gladly do I give the word to experts.

Last edited:
I love burgers, too. MG would have to weigh in here, but I like the idea of a burger challenge, leaving it open to people's ideas of a burger. I may be wrong, but I think most people, all over the world, know the difference between a burger and just a sandwich.

Hopefully more people will toss their opinions in the hat.

CD

On a personal level I can't get excited about burger buns as an ingredient.

From a mod perspective, is it a versatile ingredient? It is, after all, simply bread in a particular shape (we did have 'bread' as an ingredient once but that included things like using it stale in salads, croutons etc. as well as stuffed breads etc. so it was pretty versatile).

If what is being asked for here is 'burgers' then that is a generic term and not an ingredient as such.

...we sometimes have a challenge/cookalong called 'Dish of the month' which invites members to cook and post their photos of a generic dish, during that month. 'Burgers' would be perfect for that and I'm happy to launch that for April.

...we sometimes have a challenge/cookalong called 'Dish of the month' which invites members to cook and post their photos of a generic dish, during that month. 'Burgers' would be perfect for that and I'm happy to launch that for April.

So, are you saying that it would be better if murphyscreek picked a different ingredient?

So, are you saying that it would be better if murphyscreek picked a different ingredient?

Well, yes I am. From the ensuing discussions/comments it seems that what is being asked for really is 'burger in a bun', which is a generic concept and not an ingredient as such. The ingredient chosen needs to be one that can be used in different ways in different types of dishes. As I said, we have another challenge which focusses on generic dishes which would be perfect for 'burgers'.

Well, yes I am. From the ensuing discussions/comments it seems that what is being asked for really is 'burger in a bun', which is a generic concept and not an ingredient as such. The ingredient chosen needs to be one that can be used in different ways in different types of dishes. As I said, we have another challenge which focusses on generic dishes which would be perfect for 'burgers'.

That's sensible.

We haven't had a cookalong in a while. I would enjoy a cookalong or dish of the month on burgers.

CD

Well, I did say when starting the conversation that I understood "burger" not to be an ingredient. I only really then defined a burger bun as the ingredient (and I literally provided a definition) because I thought it might be a bit more popular to create a burger (if you want to) , or come up with another idea using the bun as the ingredient ( I gave the example of using the bun to make bread and butter pudding), then previous choices such as when I picked an ingredient that only had a few people interested (I think it was saffron).

I don't really mind what the ingredient is, I just wanted to avoid picking something so specific there's only a handful of entries.

How about we just throw the thread open for everyone to pick an ingredient or plus one to someone else's idea? I'm more than happy to then just pick what appears to be a popular choice.

Last edited:
Well, I did say when starting the conversation that I understood "burger" not to be an ingredient. I only really then defined a burger bun as the ingredient (and I literally provided a definition) because I thought it might be a bit more popular to create a burger (if you want to) , or come up with another idea using the bun as the ingredient ( I gave the example of using the bun to make bread and butter pudding)

OK - sorry if I misunderstood you. It seems to be a majority view that 'burger buns' are OK as an ingredient. I was worried that somehow it was limited to making 'burgers' so I obviously misread your original post.

If we can tear them up, mix them up and generally get creative with them then its absolutely fine. We will go ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom