The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet potatoes or yams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking forward to this , as I find it an interesting ingredient, as well as a 'super food'.
"Superfood". A very lucrative marketing strategy that has increased sales of those products. A balanced diet, which very few by the way can come to agreement with is what is healthy and not an individual food product. I'll make a separate post on the subject as to not derail this one. Cheers!

"Superfood". A very lucrative marketing strategy that has increased sales of those products. A balanced diet, which very few by the way can come to agreement with is what is healthy and not an individual food product. I'll make a separate post on the subject as to not derail this one. Cheers!
Moodhoover 😋

The prize for winning is judging a two page list of entries in the next challenge. Enjoy the spoils of victory. :okay:

CD
Not if the judge chooses something mundane or maybe unusual, then there probably wouldn't be that many entries.

Wow, so after the initial grumblings about the choice of ingredient and the moans about lack of versatility and it being mundane and no one really caring about it we ended up with 30 entries ; entries included sweet as well as savoury dishes, vegetarian as well as meat dishes, breads and pastas.

I actually prepped myself by starving myself all day and then reading the entries. I curse and applaud the exemplary photo skills of Morning Glory for the recipes and shots of Roast chicken & sweet potato with orange & pomegranate molasses AND Sweet potato polenta with braised mushrooms & onions. Simply stunning shots worthy of any professional cookbook. I applaud and bow to you.

First time as a judge I realise how hard this is, getting from 30 to 20 to 10....looking at so many aspects....
In the end I managed to get it down to 5 that I want to make tomorrow and are a mix of creativity and darn right simplicity. They all look good, well balanced flavour wise, and read well and I fully intend to make all 5 of them (as well as other entries)

The finalists are :
Sweet potato polenta with braised mushrooms & onions by Morning Glory
Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls by TastyReuben
Savoury sweet potato doughnuts by Hemulen
Sweet Potato and Mortadella Croquettes by MypinchofItaly
Sweet Potato in Ginger Syrup by murphyscreek

The winner after much deliberation, and dying of hunger, is Savoury sweet potato doughnuts by Hemulen . The ingredients within this as well as the process I found fascinating, the saltiness of the bacon, zest of the lime, and sage in the stuffing along with the sweetness of the sweet potato. Wonderful guide, wonderful photos....ticks all the boxes for me.

Congratulations and I thank everyone for their entries ;its a shame there can be only one winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom