The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (February 2018): Sumac

Wht the final spice challenge?
Its been running for exactly 12 months and I think I've run out of spices to choose - obviously there are many more spices out there and me and @Herbie between us probably have most of them! But I know a lot of members either wouldn't have or couldn't get many of them.

I was thinking of doing a herb challenge - but the same might apply! And then there is seasonality with fresh herbs to consider... I'm open to suggestions.

... I"ve tried to choose accessible popular spices rather than the more obscure, but we still don't get very many entries for some reason. Thoughts anyone?

Oven-roasted chicken with sumac, pomegranate molasses, chilli and sesame seeds.

Chicken with sumac, pomegranate molasses.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...anate-molasses-chilli-and-sesame-seeds.12227/

I'm not sure it is possible to pick something everyone can join in with every time. Esp. seasonal herbs. Maybe a mixture?

How about:
Chilli
Ginger
Salt!

Garlic and mint were done in the recipe challenge recently.

Why not do a poll? See what people have access to.

I guess sumac isn’t in most people’s spice cupboards as not so many entries this time round. :ohmy: But every recipe was a delight! They were:

@Masticator's Iranian / Persian Kibudeh
A spicy kebab recipe plus a zingy salad. Its great to see Iranian/Persian dishes being posted. This recipe is on my 'to do' list.

@Frizz1974's Chicken marinated in lemon juice and za'atar.
A lovely simple way to use sumac.

@Herbie Za'atar and Cauliflower steaks
Za'atar is such a versatile spice mix and @Herbie shows us how to make our own. :okay: The cauliflower steak is impressive. I've tried to make cauliflower steak in the past and deleted my photos. @Herbie 's looks delicious and I can see how the citrus notes of sumac complement the earthy slightly sweet caramelised cauliflower!

@Elawin's Oven-Roasted Chicken with Sumac, Pomegranate Molasses, Chilli and Sesame Seeds
This is a great recipe which combines simplicity of execution with complex flavours: sumac has a citrus taste, pomegranate molasses is sweet and sour, chilli for the heat and sesame seeds to bring it all down to earth.

@pinkcherrychef 's Indian Lemonade
This recipe sounds refreshing and looks very pretty. Well done @pinkcherrychef for thinking of a drink made with sumac.

So - difficult as usual to make a choice. But here we go:

I was so impressed with the complexity of flavour and the simplicity of execution of @Elawin's Oven-Roasted Chicken with Sumac, Pomegranate Molasses, Chilli and Sesame Seeds that it stood out as the winner.

Congratulations @Elawin - please choose your prize from the list here and it will be posted!

This is the final of the current Spice Challenge. Its has been running for a year to date. It may well return in future. A big thank you to everyone who has participated. But watch this space - there will be a new Prize Challenge announced very soon. :D

Last edited:
I guess sumac isn’t in most people’s spice cupboards as not so many entries this time round.
I couldn't find it at the supermarket, and I didn't have time to check specialty markets (I think I'll just go to Amazon for some, so I have it).

Congratulations @Elawin -

I loved this recipe...I'll likely try making it once I get my hands on some sumac!

The winner of this Spice Challenge will receive one of the following prizes:
  • Salter big button kitchen timer.
  • KitchenCraft Home Made Swedish Rosette Iron Set with Three Interchangeable Heads.
  • Kabalo Electric Coffee Bean Grinder & Nut/Spice Grinder.
  • E-PRANCE Pepper and Salt Grinder, Manual Salt or Pepper Mill
  • The Palomar Cookbook (2016) (recipes from award-winning restaurant The Palomar)
  • Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour (2017) (Persian food)
  • Bowls of Goodness: Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes Full of Nourishment by Nina Olsson (2017)
Thank you for choosing my recipe! I think my prize will just have to be Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour :D

Back
Top Bottom