"The cows that queue up to milk themselves" BBC News Article

I saw something very similar on a programme called "how do they do it" on one of the discovery channels. In this programme, not only did the cows get themselves milked, but there was a robot that put food Into a hoppper on the robot, then went Into the cow shed, and dispatched the food to the cows if they were running out. And another machine went along the cowshed floor, pushing all the cows waste through grills in the floor. All the waste ended up In a tank below ground. The farm could be run by only one or two people. It was a very Interesting programme.

It did raise an interesting issue about expansion though. If you wanted to expand, you would have to also increase your herd by 50-60 cows at a time which is a considerable increase!

Your right. In fact the farmer who had all this equipment had Increased his herd by 60 cows. I suppose if you spend that kind of money on equipment your going to have to increase your herd. On the other hand the farmer no longer needs to employ people, so he should make savings In that area.

Saw such a system on Tomorrows World & John Cravens' Newsround a few years ago.

The trouble with tomorrows world was that an awful lot of what was reported on there, never actually happened. Like one time they said that we would have so much oil from the north sea, that electricity would be practically free. And then there was the theory that everyone would be working from home.

but in all fairness, the one about cows milking themselves has actually come true.

Dairy farming in my area has declined ,nearly to the fact of you see little herds ,
The farm by us made the decision due to many reasons. Man power being one ,2 dairy men lost their jobs and homes,also the herd go a dangerous toxin and had to be sorted
Herds have actually decreased over the years due to higher milk yields,
I have client that deals with this and can only talk about milk,in the end I block out a it and go to a happy place when he starts drawing production graphs,and how milk is supplied so cheap:facepalm:

The trouble with tomorrows world was that an awful lot of what was reported on there, never actually happened. Like one time they said that we would have so much oil from the north sea, that electricity would be practically free. And then there was the theory that everyone would be working from home.

but in all fairness, the one about cows milking themselves has actually come true.
One of the problems with north sea oil was that our government in their wisdom sold most of it. Now we have another discovery in the south of England I think and I suspect that exactly the same will happen again.

Dairy farming in my area has declined ,nearly to the fact of you see little herds ,
The farm by us made the decision due to many reasons. Man power being one ,2 dairy men lost their jobs and homes,also the herd go a dangerous toxin and had to be sorted
Herds have actually decreased over the years due to higher milk yields,
I have client that deals with this and can only talk about milk,in the end I block out a it and go to a happy place when he starts drawing production graphs,and how milk is supplied so cheap:facepalm:
The farmer getting as little as 8p a gallon!
What's the price of a pint of milk?

Back
Top Bottom