The Difference between a British Pie and an American Pie

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:14 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
My husband and I happen to love leeks, mushrooms and pies... and with the current recipe challenge being turkey/chicken/meat free substitute, I thought I would add a 'something, leek and mushroom pie to the mix.

I have a really nice cauliflower tomato sauce that would work really well with leeks and mushrooms. Add in some protein to the mix in the form of tofu or seiten/tempeh and we have the makings of a pie.

Now some argue that a pie is not a pie unless it is enclosed in pastry, others are happy with just a lid on it. I am in the latter group when it comes to pies with a nice 'gravy' style sauce. And to be honest, I really don't care.

Mod Edit:
The recipe can be found here: Tempeh, Leek and Mushroom Pie

There then proceeded to be a discussion between the differences between American and British definitions of a pie (both sweet and savoury) which highlighted some language and cultural differences which it was felt worthy of a new thread.

Last edited:
So the crust is on top not on the bottom.
Sounds wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the crust is on top not on the bottom.
In this version, the pie crust is simply on the top of the pie dish. It is the dish that holds it all together (rather common). You could if you wanted to, line the pie dish with puff pastry first, cook the pastry until thoroughly cooked and then add the filling, sauce and pie lid, but I still think the pastry would go soggy. However, that is how a lot of pies are served in the UK, with soggy bottoms :giggle:

Pies here in the US usually have bottom crusts but not always lids.
Not sure but it might be all pies.

How does that work with a liquid filling? Surely it is exposed and the pastry would be soggy.

Here, this is what it would vaguely look like (the first row is the closest - if you went with individual pots, then any of them, but there is no reason as to why you can't do one big one which is what my recipe is for).

with only a lid (these show a variety of pastry including shortcrust and puff)
example 2.jpg example 3.jpg example 5.jpg

With both a lid and a base (again shortcrust and puff pastry)
example 1.jpg example 4.jpg example 6.jpg

OK- I have better post this because we have rumbles of thunder and I usually lose the internet for hours when we have a storm being on satellite broadband.

Many times the bottom pie crusts are baked first and they are usually short crusts with just water, fat and flour.
Though yes, some do get soggy. I am not a fan of common pot pies.
Yours on the other hand looks fabulous.

Yours on the other hand looks fabulous.
Just some images off the internet on what to expect. mine would have a reddish colour to the sauce depending on how generous you are with the paprika and whether you used tinned or fresh tomatoes. and obviously mine had vegetables in it that will be visible and obvious, but the images give you an idea of what you are aiming for until I cook it perhaps next week. we can add it in to our list to eat then. I may even have another crop of home grown mushrooms by then as well!

Not sure but it might be all pies.
This might be a language difference I think. In the UK if a pie has no top it becomes a tart, flan or quiche. @Cinisajoy, could you post a picture (from the internet) of a U.S. pie with bottom crust and no lid, so we can see what you mean.

I believe that what in the US is called a 'pot pie' is where there is a lid only?

Last edited:
I
This might be a language difference I think. In the UK if a pie has no top it becomes a tart, flan or quiche. @Cinisajoy, could you post a picture (from the internet) of a U.S. pie with bottom crust and no lid, so we can see what you mean.

I believe that what in the US is called a 'pot pie' is where there is a lid only?
had been wondering something the same as well, hence why I posted some images for @Cinisajoy.

Here is a recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26317/chicken-pot-pie-ix/
Here is an image
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/81/c4/9581c4436163533ba04306432a8c9207.jpg
Another image
http://www.mariecallendersmeals.com/frozen-pot-pies
Here are some dessert pies.
http://www.mariecallendersmeals.com/large-frozen-desserts
As you can see all have bottoms but some have no lids.

We also have tarts, flans and quiches. Both crust and crust less quiches.
And yes that was a language problem.

So, going by the pictures you attached, the only 'topless crust' pies are sweet pies? The rest of them look much like UK pies (some with only top, some with bottom and top).

So, going by the pictures you attached, the only 'topless crust' pies are sweet pies? The rest of them look much like UK pies (some with only top, some with bottom and top).
Every one of Marie Callender's pies have bottoms. If it is in an aluminum pie pan, you can bet your bottom dollar it has a bottom.
Here bottomless pies are called casseroles.

And if you will look the apple pie has a lattice top.

The only pies in the US that do not have bottoms are shepherd's pies and they are mashed potato crusts.

So in the US, what the OP would be is a casserole.
And it sounds fabulous no matter what it is called regionally.

The only pies in the US that do not have bottoms are shepherd's pies and they are mashed potato crust .

Confused (a bit). I am pretty certain that a lot of your pot pies do not have bottoms. So surely Shepherd's pies aren't the only bottomless one. Shepherd's pies don't have top or bottom pastry. Shepherd's pie is the same here. Mash potato on top. Here is one of mine:

IMGP1205.jpg IMGP1209.jpg

Confused (a bit). I am pretty certain that a lot of your pot pies do not have bottoms. So surely Shepherd's pies aren't the only bottomless one. Shepherd's pies don't have top or bottom pastry. Shepherd's pie is the same here. Mash potato on top. Here is one of mine:

View attachment 4296 View attachment 4297
Every pot pie made in the US has a bottom. Well now, some home cooks may leave off the bottom or top crust but I can assure you that every factory made pot pie has a bottom crust or it could not be called a pie in the US. And to be called a pot pie, it has to have a shortening based bottom crust.
The pot pies here in the US were originally designed to be eaten on the go so they needed a shell to keep it in.
Otherwise the company could be sued for false advertising.
You have to have a lid, we have to have a bottom to be a pie.
What you call a pie, we call a casserole or a cobbler if it is sweet. And might I add I like the UK idea better.
No soggy bottoms.

I have seen shepherd's pies with both top and bottom layers of mashed potatoes. It is the only exception.

And yes you are semi-correct in most sweet pies don't have a lid. Though many do have a top usually meringue or whipped cream.

Back
Top Bottom