The dreaded pot luck.

I really enjoy potlucks, but to be honest, I do avoid some of the foods. Not only am I not sure of what ingredients are in the dish, but I have been concerned with the food handling safety the person making it used. I am not trying to sound rude. It is just some people are not as concerned with cleanliness or keeping the dish at the proper temperature as I am.

I don't necessarily mind potlucks as long as everyone else participating is into them as well. I love to cook, so that's right up my alley and I always try to make something everyone can enjoy, especially if there are vegetarians or vegans in the group, or any other people with dietary restrictions. In fact, I will usually plan my dish around something they like specifically, since everyone else is more flexible.

On the other hand, I don't really look forward to potlucks when almost everyone in the group doesn't like to cook and/or are tightwads. I don't mind so much if a person is a newbie to cooking, but what irks me more is when they just flat out don't care and are more worried about spending as little as possible both in terms of time and money on their dish. A friend of mine is notorious for this, usually when he is expected to bring a dish, he'll make his "famous" pinwheels - which are nothing more than some flour tortillas with some leftover cream cheese that's been in the back of his fridge for months, and whatever leftover pickled condiments he has in his fridge, rolled up and cut into 1 inch pieces secured with a toothpick. Or he'll dump a can of pineapple into a can of baked beans and throw some fake Baco's on it and call it a day.

The person organizing it should simply post a sign up list, where everyone can write down what they are bringing, so others can see and know not to bring the same thing.

The person organizing it should simply post a sign up list, where everyone can write down what they are bringing, so others can see and know not to bring the same thing.

That should be especially easy with spreadsheets on Google Drive and such technology.

When I get invited to a potluck, I try as much as possible to find out what everyone else is bringing so I'm able to compliment the already existing list. If it's not provided, then I'd just try to ask if I should bring a snack or something heftier like a main dish or a robust side dish. Otherwise, without any other information, I'd just try to bring something unique that everyone will enjoy tasting regardless of how much it fills them up.

[QUOTE="OhioTom76, post: 9936, member: 311"
On the other hand, I don't really look forward to potlucks when almost everyone in the group doesn't like to cook and/or are tightwads.[/QUOTE]

OMG, I hate this. Every time there is always at least one genius who seems to think potluck equals either a chance to clean out the fridge or a way to get one over on other people by spending $1 and getting $20 of food in exchange. Grrrr.

Back
Top Bottom