The Epicuric Cold Smoking Cabinet Mark 1

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:04 PM
IMG_1289.JPG

The Epicuric Cold Smoking Cabinet Mark 1 has been in service for around nine months now. It is the two rack model with smoke control valve and optional temperature probe attachment. Cost was around £12 for the smoke generator, the rest was made of bits I had lying around the shed. The smoke box (the purple bit in the bottom) contains the smoke generator, which is loaded through the flap on the left hand side once lit. The horizontal dowels support two wire racks (standard baking variety) on which the food is placed for smoking. Once lit and loaded, the front doors are taped up with gaffer tape, and the smoking process begins. Flow control is achieved by balancing the valve on the top (see below) and the smoke box flap - just like you would a log burner.
IMG_1290.JPG

A temperature probe (digital meat thermometer) can be inserted through a small hole in the side of the chamber. This is only really necessary on a hot day to ensure the temp stays below 18 deg C. This can be achieved by placing a bowl on cold water inside the chamber. The smoking process for say, a side of salmon takes 4 - 6 hours depending on taste required.

Credit to the design goes to Mr T. Touran, who runs excellent courses in food smoking from his cold smoking HQ in Milton Keynes. See http://www.coldsmoking.co.uk/

The Model 2 is currently under developement.

You want your smoker to only be 18°C? That doesn't sound hot enough to even start smoking.

....and what happens if it rains (its made of cardboard, isn't it?).
The smoke generator is just a mesh tray thing with channels in to house the wood dust. You light it at one end and it continues to smoulder and generate smoke for up to 12 hours. I will post a picture tomorrow.

I use it under cover in the garden (we have an old well house) so it doesn't get wet!

Fair comment. You are missing out on the joys of home smoked salmon. But I envy your climate :)
I am also a little far away to get fresh salmon that hasn't been trucked for at least 3 days.
Don't envy too much 35°C is very common in the summer and 40C is not uncommon.
This goes on for several months. Last July, 43c was the daily high.

Last edited:
The smoke generator is just a mesh tray thing with channels in to house the wood dust. You light it at one end and it continues to smoulder and generate smoke for up to 12 hours. I will post a picture tomorrow.

I use it under cover in the garden (we have an old well house) so it doesn't get wet!
That explains it; a covered area (an old well house sounds very posh).

Back
Top Bottom