The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have just decided that we are not paying AUD $1,300 for a week in a 2 bed cottage (1 beds are no cheaper, you are charged for 2 adults and then if there are more, extra for them) despite that having a 7 nights for the price of 5... Instead we are going to try camping again. We will have a couple of nights in one place, then come home for a few nights, move to somewhere else and have a couple of nights there, come home and repeat for the final time in the 2 weeks that my hubby has off over his birthday. It is a rather frightening price to be honest. I think we are both rather used to our friends prices up in Scotland. If it were not for the fact that I still can't manage cattle class with my back and need to be able to lie down (so a £3,000 upgrade charge is needed to be taken into account), it would actually be cheaper to use one of the free return flights home each, each year that we get (we get 2 each) and go and stay in Scotland for a week, than it is to stay in a holiday home here! Our friends only charge us the equivalent cost of a single night here, for the entire week there! It is $185 per night unless you stay more than 3 nights, after which you get a $10 reduction! Gee whiz. And that has been every single holiday home I have tried so far! I'm still looking but I think we will be trying out camping. At least I can use the wheelchair to sit in whilst we are on the campsite and with it being the school term time, it will be pretty quiet if we avoid weekends. Oh and those are the out of season prices! :eek:

Now we know why everyone has camper trailers here - we have even seen off road caravans which look exceptionally odd....

We have just decided that we are not paying AUD $1,300 for a week in a 2 bed cottage (1 beds are no cheaper, you are charged for 2 adults and then if there are more, extra for them) despite that having a 7 nights for the price of 5... Instead we are going to try camping again. We will have a couple of nights in one place, then come home for a few nights, move to somewhere else and have a couple of nights there, come home and repeat for the final time in the 2 weeks that my hubby has off over his birthday. It is a rather frightening price to be honest. I think we are both rather used to our friends prices up in Scotland. If it were not for the fact that I still can't manage cattle class with my back and need to be able to lie down (so a £3,000 upgrade charge is needed to be taken into account), it would actually be cheaper to use one of the free return flights home each, each year that we get (we get 2 each) and go and stay in Scotland for a week, than it is to stay in a holiday home here! Our friends only charge us the equivalent cost of a single night here, for the entire week there! It is $185 per night unless you stay more than 3 nights, after which you get a $10 reduction! Gee whiz. And that has been every single holiday home I have tried so far! I'm still looking but I think we will be trying out camping. At least I can use the wheelchair to sit in whilst we are on the campsite and with it being the school term time, it will be pretty quiet if we avoid weekends. Oh and those are the out of season prices! :eek:

Now we know why everyone has camper trailers here - we have even seen off road caravans which look exceptionally odd....

Are your prices for holiday lets in cottages self catering?

Prices are/or used to be the primary reason for camping. Now we just like the quiet. We also do off seasons.

Odd how it's dearer to stay in the country you're in, than go elsewhere.

Are your prices for holiday lets in cottages self catering?
of course. I would never consider someone else catering for me unless the place was 100% vegan. Now I know of a couple of vegan B&B's and one of them does do evening meals on request but that still leaves lunches... and they are all in the UK. I don't like eating out that often either.

Prices are/or used to be the primary reason for camping. Now we just like the quiet. We also do off seasons.
Yep - but this will be the first time since ending up in a wheelchair (albeit not permanently) and we are talking about a proper tent here, not a frame tent or pop up tent, but something designed for the artic.

this tent in fact. I don't have any of my fabric tents with me in Australia, but they have even less space in them than this one does (and this is a 3 person tent). We can both sit up in it on our sleeping mats. It has full mossie netting on vents and doors and as you can see, pitches to the ground. That is for snow reasons, but it is not an Antarctic tent because they actually have a 1-3 foot fabric footing all the way around on the outside of the tent which is designed to have snow heaped on top of it to hold the tent down!
IMG_0930_1024.JPG

Odd how it's dearer to stay in the country you're in, than go elsewhere.
Our friends let the place to us for around 7-10 days for under £150. We then pay electricity on top of that - usually not too much unless we are there in winter when it is very cold. Take into account car hire and fuel and the fact that we have free flights to the UK return (as mentioned) and it suddenly is cheaper to stay in the UK than 2 hours down the road in Australia!

I'm still looking on the cottage front, but as of yet have found nothing cheaper. Prices seem to be of a fixed rate from what I can see. I shall keep hunting but at the end of the day, my sleeping mat may be more comfortable than an old mattress anyway! It is just my mobility issues that could be a problem but I guess its not that different from home. I can fall and hurt myself anywhere as I have proven all too recently!

The tent you posted is much smaller than the ones we used to own. The last one was 2.5 m by about 4 m.
Though your idea of camping and ours are a bit different.
We wound up getting a camper because someone learned to work zippers.
He escaped a couple of times.

The tent you posted is much smaller than the ones we used to own. The last one was 2.5 m by about 4 m.
Though your idea of camping and ours are a bit different.
We wound up getting a camper because someone learned to work zippers.
He escaped a couple of times.
That tent was carried on the back of my husband's bike.
IMG_4022_1024.jpg

And this is the tent I carry when solo touring (assuming I will ever be able to again. I have no idea. but for now it is the car. let's just find out if I can even manage camping again!
IMG_0734.jpg

of course. I would never consider someone else catering for me unless the place was 100% vegan. Now I know of a couple of vegan B&B's and one of them does do evening meals on request but that still leaves lunches... and they are all in the UK. I don't like eating out that often either.

Yep - but this will be the first time since ending up in a wheelchair (albeit not permanently) and we are talking about a proper tent here, not a frame tent or pop up tent, but something designed for the artic.

this tent in fact. I don't have any of my fabric tents with me in Australia, but they have even less space in them than this one does (and this is a 3 person tent). We can both sit up in it on our sleeping mats. It has full mossie netting on vents and doors and as you can see, pitches to the ground. That is for snow reasons, but it is not an Antarctic tent because they actually have a 1-3 foot fabric footing all the way around on the outside of the tent which is designed to have snow heaped on top of it to hold the tent down!
View attachment 5090

Our friends let the place to us for around 7-10 days for under £150. We then pay electricity on top of that - usually not too much unless we are there in winter when it is very cold. Take into account car hire and fuel and the fact that we have free flights to the UK return (as mentioned) and it suddenly is cheaper to stay in the UK than 2 hours down the road in Australia!

I'm still looking on the cottage front, but as of yet have found nothing cheaper. Prices seem to be of a fixed rate from what I can see. I shall keep hunting but at the end of the day, my sleeping mat may be more comfortable than an old mattress anyway! It is just my mobility issues that could be a problem but I guess its not that different from home. I can fall and hurt myself anywhere as I have proven all too recently!
How'd you fall off the floor?
I've not managed that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom