The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold overnight here (20°C) but warms up a little during the day. Currently 30°C - no need for fans. Not a cloud in the sky.

Next door neighbour's "flute tree".

Last edited:
Yesterday my husband and I were married for one year. He's still the most amazing person I ever met and only getting better 😍

We're celebrating with a gourmet weekend at a hotel in Maastricht. Hope I will have some nice pictures to show for it !
Congratulations. Do enjoy the hotel.

This Christmas will be 23 years for my husband and I! We've no plans to celebrate.

I'll desist from ranting my views regarding marriage.

Please, allow me! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm about marriage like I am anything else - if the people getting married are into it, then that's grand, but don't stuff it down on everyone else as the only way to live a proper and responsible adult life.

The idea that if you're not/never been married, then you must be some kind of tomcat/floozie, or that you're in some state of arrested development, rankles me no end.

There's this idea that the only right life is to go school, graduate, get a job, get married, have kids, get old, retire, get fat, spoil your grandkids, and die. That doesn't fit everybody, and if some people want to stay single, or live together and not be married (still, in 2019, an eyebrow-raiser in my area), or have 19 boyfriends and 23 girlfriends, go for it, or none of the above, whatever works for you, I'm for it. You get one life, you better live it on your terms.

My wife and I purposely do not have children. Never wanted them, and now that that ship has sailed, no regrets yet. You would not believe the crap we've put up with over the years, right up to now, when some people find out we don't have kids, made that decision on purpose, and don't really enjoy being around kids in general. You'd think we'd just climbed straight up from hell to lay waste to all that's good and pure in the world. :laugh:

I love it when I meet people who live "off script," as I like to say. They're a little different, and that's interesting. One woman I know, she's in her 20's, has been in the a relationship with the same man for several years now, and they live just a few houses apart. She says everyone gives them crap for not being married, but she has zero interest in it. I love talking to her, she cracks me up with comments like, "I'd had a little too much to drink the night before, and Bill would not shut up, so I went back to my house for some me time." She always gives me a chuckle with her fiercely independent streak.

26 years yesterday for us... and I, really "we"', only remembered because my sis in law called to say she wanted to stop down with a gift. Hubby and I wondered - gift for what??? Then it DAWNED on both of us - oh..it's our anniversary! Yea... we are bad like that. Thankfully, neither of us get worked up over forgetting significant dates in our lives 😎

26 years yesterday for us... and I, really "we"', only remembered because my sis in law called to say she wanted to stop down with a gift. Hubby and I wondered - gift for what??? Then it DAWNED on both of us - oh..it's our anniversary! Yea... we are bad like that. Thankfully, neither of us get worked up over forgetting significant dates in our lives 😎
Our standard anniversary and birthday "gifts" to each other - a fancy meal out.

My wife and I purposely do not have children. Never wanted them, and now that that ship has sailed, no regrets yet. You would not believe the crap we've put up with over the years, right up to now, when some people find out we don't have kids, made that decision on purpose, and don't really enjoy being around kids in general. You'd think we'd just climbed straight up from hell to lay waste to all that's good and pure in the world. :laugh:

Yeah - that is the other thing which gets me and you are quite right to mention it. I have four kids - but that was my choice. Well, I s'pose one might have been a bit of an accident (shhh...). I know quite a lot of people who don't want any (both of my daughters included) and I applaud it. We aren't just here to reproduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom