The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here, rascal, good wishes for your daughter. My sis had both hips replaced about 15 years ago (car accident) and it was rough duty getting through the recovery.

It's hereditary here, wife had double replacement about 25?years ago, daughter about 10 years ago ( first one) and son about 8 years ago. All on my health insurance. They've all claimed 100 to 150 k worth of surgery. Me, I've never claimed anything.

Her hip replacement will change her life, she's put up with it for years. Her gait is terrible, how people put up with this before medicine kicked in ill never know.
Me neither.

Wish her the best from me.

I've literally just found out this last Tuesday that I need both hips replacing and very soon.
1 hip, both knees and at least one ankle still need to be MRI'ed (though the other hip is a forgone conclusion) to establish exactly how bad they are (I've was diagnosed with severe, end stage osteoarthritis in my left hip after dislocating it and going for an MRI to establish if I had torn a muscle or done any other damage when it relocated. I've hyper mobility syndrome so dislocations are frequent though it's the first time I've knowingly dislocated my hip and yes, I've torn a muscle as well, that in its self needs an operation to repair it but Dr says with the hip needing replacing as well that they'll not operate twice but do both together. The OA diagnosis was totally unexpected and out of the blue but explains a lot of issues getting out of my wheelchair after my back went 5 years ago). So at 46yrs old, I need 2 hip replacements. Oh great. And there's no history of it in my mother's side of the family (I don't know my biological father, not seen him since I was 4.)

The pain from it is something I'm struggling to deal with big time and frequently has me in tears at the moment and is the reason behind my lack of cooking currently. I see the pain consultant tomorrow thankfully. I'm already on morphine and the synthetic version hydromorph, so don't quite know what will be suggested. Lyrica, osteoparacetamol, and amitriptyline are already in the mix as well. grrr.

Me neither.

Wish her the best from me.

I've literally just found out this last Tuesday that I need both hips replacing and very soon.
1 hip, both knees and at least one ankle still need to be MRI'ed (though the other hip is a forgone conclusion) to establish exactly how bad they are (I've was diagnosed with severe, end stage osteoarthritis in my left hip after dislocating it and going for an MRI to establish if I had torn a muscle or done any other damage when it relocated. I've hyper mobility syndrome so dislocations are frequent though it's the first time I've knowingly dislocated my hip and yes, I've torn a muscle as well, that in its self needs an operation to repair it but Dr says with the hip needing replacing as well that they'll not operate twice but do both together. The OA diagnosis was totally unexpected and out of the blue but explains a lot of issues getting out of my wheelchair after my back went 5 years ago). So at 46yrs old, I need 2 hip replacements. Oh great. And there's no history of it in my mother's side of the family (I don't know my biological father, not seen him since I was 4.)

The pain from it is something I'm struggling to deal with big time and frequently has me in tears at the moment and is the reason behind my lack of cooking currently. I see the pain consultant tomorrow thankfully. I'm already on morphine and the synthetic version hydromorph, so don't quite know what will be suggested. Lyrica, osteoparacetamol, and amitriptyline are already in the mix as well. grrr.

Wow, you are having a bad time, wife's had double hip so it's not unheard of, daughter has just left to go to hospital, she said her new one good for 25 years, her other one was good for 15 so they have come a long way. Her stay is only 3 days in hospital, it used to be 6 days, so improvements are massive. Knees are hard I'm told so I would persevere if I was you. I know a guy who has had 4 ops on the one knee. He wishes he never had it done.
Healing thoughts are with you.

Russ

2nd day of summer and I woke up cold after being cold all night. It was 6°C this morning after being light for about 2 hours. It's not yet made it to 10°C. I'd light a fire if I had any wood in, but i don't so I'm sitting in a t shirt with a sweatshirt on and on top of that a very thick 8ply cardigan I made for cold winter mornings! I'm still not very warm. I've got to go out in around an hour so there's little point in trying to get a fire lit now.

On the bright side we managed to fix my Landcruiser's windscreen washer problem. They have up working last week when I was out in her and on dirt roads you need them. 22 year old technology isn't the best and they are pathetic at the best of times. The rear wash wipe had been disconnected by the garage because I had the known fault where water always came out of the rear washer no matter which button was pressed (front or rear). Well the electronic splitter had finally failed and stuck in the rear only position. Pointless given that it wasn't connected so the cheap solution was simply bypass the splitter and the pump only supply the front washers. Annoying because dirt roads mean rear windows, particularly vertical ones, (as opposed to inclined to the road surface) get very, very dirty very, very quickly... and my passenger wing mirror has had to be replaced but genuine Toyota Landcruiser wing mirrors are like gold dust and cost about as much, thus this non OEM one isn't very good when you're moving faster than snails pace... It vibrates badly, so I don't see much in it, can't see much through the rear window leaving me with just the driver's wing mirror and massive blind spots to deal with. Grrr. I am going to have to get hubby to spend some money on my vehicle. You can get rear wash wipe conversion kits that have their own washer reservoir and pump, plus piping for the rear wash wipe and bypass the electronics so it's an independent system to the front wash wipe... It takes the vehicle back to the days of separate reservoirs for front and rear but at least I would have 2 wash wipers working that way. Replacing the electronic splitter doesn't deal with the other issue of the pump on the front wash wipe not being very powerful... though it would be tidier and possibly easier to do at home because I wouldn't have to do a little rewiring (yet again)....

2nd day of summer and I woke up cold after being cold all night. It was 6°C this morning after being light for about 2 hours. It's not yet made it to 10°C. I'd light a fire if I had any wood in, but i don't so I'm sitting in a t shirt with a sweatshirt on and on top of that a very thick 8ply cardigan I made for cold winter mornings! I'm still not very warm. I've got to go out in around an hour so there's little point in trying to get a fire lit now.

On the bright side we managed to fix my Landcruiser's windscreen washer problem. They have up working last week when I was out in her and on dirt roads you need them. 22 year old technology isn't the best and they are pathetic at the best of times. The rear wash wipe had been disconnected by the garage because I had the known fault where water always came out of the rear washer no matter which button was pressed (front or rear). Well the electronic splitter had finally failed and stuck in the rear only position. Pointless given that it wasn't connected so the cheap solution was simply bypass the splitter and the pump only supply the front washers. Annoying because dirt roads mean rear windows, particularly vertical ones, (as opposed to inclined to the road surface) get very, very dirty very, very quickly... and my passenger wing mirror has had to be replaced but genuine Toyota Landcruiser wing mirrors are like gold dust and cost about as much, thus this non OEM one isn't very good when you're moving faster than snails pace... It vibrates badly, so I don't see much in it, can't see much through the rear window leaving me with just the driver's wing mirror and massive blind spots to deal with. Grrr. I am going to have to get hubby to spend some money on my vehicle. You can get rear wash wipe conversion kits that have their own washer reservoir and pump, plus piping for the rear wash wipe and bypass the electronics so it's an independent system to the front wash wipe... It takes the vehicle back to the days of separate reservoirs for front and rear but at least I would have 2 wash wipers working that way. Replacing the electronic splitter doesn't deal with the other issue of the pump on the front wash wipe not being very powerful... though it would be tidier and possibly easier to do at home because I wouldn't have to do a little rewiring (yet again)....

Could be worse, my wipers broke down while on a holiday about 5 hrs north of me, we had a caravan on the back. The day we left it poured down. I had to disconnect drivers wiper arm and drove home with my hand our the door wiping the windscreen. It was a cold wet drive home. Horrible

Russ

Could be worse, my wipers broke down while on a holiday about 5 hrs north of me, we had a caravan on the back. The day we left it poured down. I had to disconnect drivers wiper arm and drove home with my hand our the door wiping the windscreen. It was a cold wet drive home. Horrible

Russ
I remember a lesson from a family friend who had an old old car. It was a classic that I forget the name of now (but it was wooden). When it rained hard, they just turned off their windscreen wipers and went without. They could see more. I've been known to do the same in really bad rain.

Talking of which, we've finally had a few mm this morning! There are numerous squalls at the moment so hopefully it will help with the fire. I had to stop on the highway (hard shoulder) and clear the tree debris from under my wipers. All of a sudden loads off vehicles turned up and it took me several minutes to get back on. Vehicles hunt in packs!

The temperature was 16°C when I carried my coffee onto the steop at 05:30 this morning. It didn't feel particularly cold at first but then the wind got up. Within an hour I had on a polar jacket, long trousers and a scarf! The temperature has now increased to 25°C but it's still somewhat windy so I haven't changed my attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom