The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to say thanks to you all!

You all told me a while ago to try a form of home catering for my cooking due to the fact that I can't get out of the house much any more, and I found a platform for it near me. I've now got my first customer coming on tuesday!

So happy, thanks all! 🥂

So far over the past 3 days we have walked 14.7 km, still feel pooped with this damn cold but determined to keep moving. Doing me good though because last night I slept better than I have done in ages, hopefully another good sleep tonight.

I knew it was bad even before I opened the blinds this morning. I could smell the smoke in the house even before midnight last night. I was up nebulising yet again during the night and up many times taking inhalers a week. My eyes are stinging and my sinuses not happy. Grumpy because I'm fed up of not leaving the house. Literally not even going outside to be able tip unlock my chooks or feed them, not being able to watery my, now dead, garden. Not even being able to get to the car on days like this. There will bee no swimming this morning. That's for sure.

From the sitting room window. There should be a view of 5-8km in that spot. Those murky trees in three distance are the road my house is off. My track is 300m long.

Yes the colour is correct. It had become the new normal. The closest fire is 60km away but this smoke is from 100km away.

It is due to stay for the next several days. It stops TV reception and causes havoc with satellite broadband connection so even watching TV is hard work... :(

I knew it was bad even before I opened the blinds this morning. I could smell the smoke in the house even before midnight last night. I was up nebulising yet again during the night and up many times taking inhalers a week. My eyes are stinging and my sinuses not happy. Grumpy because I'm fed up of not leaving the house. Literally not even going outside to be able tip unlock my chooks or feed them, not being able to watery my, now dead, garden. Not even being able to get to the car on days like this. There will bee no swimming this morning. That's for sure.

View attachment 36403
From the sitting room window. There should be a view of 5-8km in that spot. Those murky trees in three distance are the road my house is off. My track is 300m long.

View attachment 36404

Yes the colour is correct. It had become the new normal. The closest fire is 60km away but this smoke is from 100km away.

It is due to stay for the next several days. It stops TV reception and causes havoc with satellite broadband connection so even watching TV is hard work... :(

The saying a picture paints a thousand words comes to mind.

Russ

You all told me a while ago to try a form of home catering for my cooking due to the fact that I can't get out of the house much any more, and I found a platform for it near me. I've now got my first customer coming on tuesday!

So happy, thanks all! 🥂

That is absolutely brilliant. Please keep us posted on how it all goes.

I found myself half-amused and half-irritated yesterday. Being chastised by a twenty-year-old was slightly galling, but the reason was even worse. This fearless warrior had, it seems, been a vegan for all of four months. I found myself on the end of a lecture all because I have the temerity to consume dairy and egg products.

"I've been a vegetarian for nearly forty years," I told them. I added, "Should there be anyone left on the planet in 2060, perhaps you'd care to let them know how you're getting on with your diet. And it's just possible that you might have learned some manners by that time, though I wouldn't bet on it."

I got no further response other than one of those amazed "What have I done?" looks that professional footballers give referees after they have committed a blatant foul.

So happy, thanks all! 🥂

You rock, girl! 👊🏻
I’m glad for you!

So popped out fishing last night hoping for a red mullet or bass, anything like that.
Ended up just catching small lesser spotted dog fish, viewed as a blooming nuisance by most of us anglers.
Enjoyed myself, finally getting my fishing mojo back.

Ahh. I've just trapped my left hand index finger in the car door that badly hubby had to come and open the door for me to get my finger out. :eek: 😭😭. It's a sutures job.

Good thing he decided I was too ill this morning to drive myself to the doctors. Dr also decided I wasn't well enough to be driving either and/but still needed to see her, so has given him a carers certificate to have paid leave for today to look after me. (Slightly different system in Australia allows for a certain number of days paid leave as carers leave to cover things like dependents (children or adult) when they are sick. Dr provides the certificate).

Dr has just told me she's happy to sign a careers certificate for my husband to take me away from the fumes for 2 weeks. Shame we don't have anywhere to go to.

Glad to hear that. Just go someplace with clean air for a couple of weeks. One of my grandfathers had emphysema late in life, and when he visited my parents in Puerto Rico, he was a different man. He could breathe. So, maybe somewhere near an ocean.

CD

Glad to hear that. Just go someplace with clean air for a couple of weeks. One of my grandfathers had emphysema late in life, and when he visited my parents in Puerto Rico, he was a different man. He could breathe. So, maybe somewhere near an ocean.

CD
If we could, we would right now. But hubby has a major operation coming up (1st week Feb) and it will take him 12 months to fully recover from it. Then he has to have it repeated on the other foot/ankle next year which will be complicated by the side of the body it is on. He won't be able to drive even after the inital 6-12 week recovery period and there are no other options if either one of them fails. The second one will leave major demands on me driving him everywhere, even after the inital recovery, because he won't even be able to drive his automatic.

But he has to have it now, it can't be delayed else he won't have recovered enough in time for winter and I can't manage chopping and carrying in all the wood we need for fuel for heating (especially so since my diagnosis with OA as well). We had worked the timing out carefully. If itis delayed, it has to be delayed by either exactly 6 months or 12 months. And if that happens, we actually the start to hit the time period that the same surgeon believes both my hips will need replacing in.

Also there are major fires between western and southern australia at present with the only sealed road linking the 2 states closed, so getting anywhere away from bush fires is currently very difficult.

There may be an option in a week or 2 for me to go to Melbourne with him on a training course but Melbourne is also currently suffering with poor air quality from the very serious bush fires in south eastern Victoria.
Go further north and we are starting to hit the start of the cyclone season with the first of the cyclone warnings and evacuations underway.

If I return to the UK, I face no NHS medical treatment because I have been out of the country for over 1 year and I will have to wait until I can access any treatment or even medication, so that is out. The irony is that in 5 weeks , my parents arrive here from the UK to help me for the first few weeks after hubby's operation!

So all I can do I stay have at present. The P3 quality air respirators have arrived which are easier to breath in and filter out much more than the disposable P2 masks you see people wearing in the news so I maybe able to start getting out of the house again. Today was the first time since the 27th December!

And by some good fortune hubby found a place that had just taken delivery of a stock of air purifiers (Dyson brand) and would take, actually offered to take, a deposit over the phone to secure one. So hubby has used the certificate to take the remainder of the day off work and drive somewhere (?) to go and pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom